General hat making question

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dig Worker
Dig Worker

General hat making question

Post by 007 »

Would some of the resident experts please tell me if it's possible when re-furbishing a hat to alter the height of the crown and width of the brim by breaking the brim at a different spot?
Just saw Marc Kitter's thread on making hats and it looks like the answer is yes. 8)
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Yeah it's possible.
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Of course, VP left out a minor tidbit of info...

How much alteration depends on how much brim you have to work with.
Also, depending on the quality, wear and tear, etc... of the felt, it is possible to rip a brim clean off if one is not careful. The sweatband stitch line can act as a perforated edge.

Dalexs
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

Certainly possible.

About three weeks after receiving my first AB, I began to trim the brim... and, stupid me, I cut the brim too short. Some time afterward I sent the hat in to Steve, who reblocked it, and offered to give me more brim -- at the sacrifice of crown height.

As Dalexs said, it is possible to rip a brim due to the existing perforation of the sweatband stitch. Exercise caution -- but otherwise, yes, it's not only possible -- more probable that you can.

Cheers,

Flattery
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by 007 »

Thanks, guys! I have a hat that needs more brim and less crown, too. :wink: