US Wings Versus G&B Expedition

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

US Wings Versus G&B Expedition

Post by feathers73 »

I was wondering if anyone had experience comparing the US Wings lamb versus the Expedition lamb with respect to quality of the leather. Have US Wing's jackets improved over the years? I've been inclinded to order an Expedition but the US Wings Goat I have (import) fits me so well. It's just heavy. Do the U.S. made Wings fit the same as the imports?

Thanks
Masman
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Masman »

That's a great question, as I've been pondering the same thing. I've also seen threads about removing the batting from US Wings jackets. Do the Expeditions not have battings or is there less to remove?

I'm very curious about this comparison as well, especially now that G&B doesn't offer the Expedition in black anymore...... :(
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

USA made USW jackets run a little big. I have a goatskin in a size medium, but it's a little big. I should've bought a small, but the size chart suggested a medium.
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

No batting at all in an Expedition jacket. just hide and lining.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I have found the Us Wings to run very big as well and comparing a Wings goat to an Expedition goat I think the goat will be more hard wearing and durable.

Ken
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

I've been to the Flightsuits store (now G&B) several times in El Cajon, CA and tried on every Expedition jacket on the rack. ( I had them build me a cutsom Stargate SG-1 mission jacket) Those folks build quality leather jackets!

Then during my last trip to Ohio, I hit the US Wings store. I tried on two jackets there and pretty much walked out. Their USA stuff looked like average department store items and fit big! (I'm a 42R)

I wear a Wested lamb and see no need to purchase another brand Indy jacket at this time. It gets rotated with my horsehide A-2 and Cooper goat G-1
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

I own both a USW Indy goat (US made) and Flightsuits Expo goat. The Flightsuits Expo is definately better overall. Higher quality construction, more accurate Indy pattern and better fitting because they make more numbered sizes. US Wings Indy jackets are not bad jackets, but they are only offered in small medium large etc, so your sizing options are thus more limited. Long versions are available from both companies. My USW is a medium/long, and a bit baggy ; my FS Expo 38 long is a much better fit on me. I also notice the FS 's nicely tailored lining helps with the fit. The goat leather quality is very similiar on both. There is NO batting in my US made USW jacket. In all fairness, my USW cost me roughly half as much compared to the Expo. I was reluctant to spend that $ on the FS Expo, but when it arrived , WOW! If your can afford it , go FS Expo. Finances tight? USW's are a reasonable option.