Indy IV Hat (No, not the vendor)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Indy IV Hat (No, not the vendor)

Post by Mark Brody »

Even if we can't discuss the vendors for the costumes, we can still discuss the costumes themselves (unless I'm very much mistaken, in which case, I trust a mod will delete this thread shortly).

We've probably all already seen this pic where, unfortunately, much of the hat has been cut out.

indianajones.com has also posted two videos, the second one focusing on the costume. It's kinda hard to get a real good look at the hat (maybe they're doing this just to tease us), but as far as I can tell, it most resembles the Last Crusade, though not quite as dramatically pinched.

You've all been at this much longer than I have, and I'd like to hear your "expert" opinions on the new hat.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Hmm...

Having seen the clip you're talking about here's my rundown of things.

The hat is definitely LC style but with a Raiders- shaped crown.

(Edited by moederator - viewtopic.php?t=22479)

The bag's a tried n' true MK VII as always.
The strap looks very ToD.
The pants i'd say are Raiders colour/style (also obvious NH)
The jacket is definitely LC (I noticed the press studs on the storm flap)

There ye go!

...and mods, if this is taboo, then delete this sucker at your leisure. 8)
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I believe the mods were quite clear with their constant reminders that we can talk about the gear all we want, so long as we leave the vendors out of this. :twisted:

(Note from moderator -- That is correct. viewtopic.php?t=22479)
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I really like the new style of Indy's fed.
Dengar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Dengar »

I wonder if the Indy 4 jacket will have distinguishing feature that separates it from the other three. I guess it could just end up being a virtual copy of the LC jacket. Can anyone spot anything about the jacket that's different than the LC?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

You guys are good. I can hardly see the crown.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

The new pinch looks tighter than LC but looser that Raiders. It's kind of a muntant LC Raiders Fed.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Well I think the hat looks boring. I know it's a great quality hat, but what they've done with it just looks boring and lacking in character. I'd have prefered something that looked like it'd been owned for a long time by an intrepid adventurer. Maybe even with a hole where the top pinch has worn through. And the brim - c'mon, that hat looks has babied by Indy all these years, not shoved in a suitcase and dragged through goodness knows what.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

whiskyman wrote:Well I think the hat looks boring. I know it's a great quality hat, but what they've done with it just looks boring and lacking in character. I'd have prefered something that looked like it'd been owned for a long time by an intrepid adventurer. Maybe even with a hole where the top pinch has worn through. And the brim - c'mon, that hat looks has babied by Indy all these years, not shoved in a suitcase and dragged through goodness knows what.
Maybe after the Last Crusade Indy decided he was too old for all this, left the gear in the wardrobe and now, years later, for (for now) unknown reason he has to wear it again. :P

I'm still waiting to see more images of the hat. Surely I miss the turn.

About Noel don't worry about the moderators guys because he's not involved. I think they just copied the original gear they found in the archives with the same material.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

There's a thread somewhere with more hat pics, as well as the jacket and whip.
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

whiskyman wrote:Well I think the hat looks boring. I know it's a great quality hat, but what they've done with it just looks boring and lacking in character.
Boring? Looks like Indy took a guest spot on "Iron Chef," and ended up losing the cake baking competition.
Sincerely,
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

whiskyman wrote:Well I think the hat looks boring. I know it's a great quality hat, but what they've done with it just looks boring and lacking in character. I'd have prefered something that looked like it'd been owned for a long time by an intrepid adventurer. Maybe even with a hole where the top pinch has worn through. And the brim - c'mon, that hat looks has babied by Indy all these years, not shoved in a suitcase and dragged through goodness knows what.
Kind of like Bogie in "Treassure of the Siera Madre".
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Semi-related question: Does anyone know why the thread about the Indy IV Jacket in the Jacket forum was deleted? There was nothing in there that was unofficially announced, nor was there any vendor talk... Much like this thread.
Last edited by Castor Dioscuri on Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

There was some erroneous announcing made on that post which we are currently looking into how to handle. I've been contacted by our contact to see what if any damage was done and how we need to handle it. Once that is resolved, the post will (or possibly not) be edited and returned to the jacket section.

Mike
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Thanks, that clears it up, though I am still bit puzzled if the "erroneous announcing" was on my part? But I suppose getting censored is to be expected, given the number of toes that could be stepped on at this stage ;)
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

No, it wasn't on your part, but by someone (without going into specifics) who should definitely know better.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

...And let's leave it at that. We now return to the thread already in progress...
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

From what I saw on the newly released video of the hats stacked up, I see a hybrid. A Raideresque block with LC creases. A blending of the old and the new. It could have been worse. We could be seeing a modern HJ sitting on his head, and get to visibly watch it taper into a cone head hat right before our very eyes as we view the film. If they would have went with HJ, instead of the usual 36 hat order, they would have had to buy a couple of hundred, and change the hat every 15 minutes in the heat of NM. Or they could have went with a cone shaped Stetson Temple. Face it, it could have been a heck of alot worse. :wink:

Apparently, the only ones that love the Raiders fedora is US. :lol: It was used once, in ROTLA, but never used again in the following films. A shame as far as I am concerned. But I would imagine alot of thought was put into the hat for the new film. I also think Spielberg was the guy who made the final choice of what hat to use. And unlike the costume pieces used in the other films, I would also bet, what Indy wears in this new film are actually clothes that are not of inferiour cotume quality, but real world quality. (all of what I have said is pure conjecture on my part, an uninformed opinion) Fedora
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

I actually like the prospect of a LC/Raiders hybrid style hat. It's refreshing to know that once I get a hat I designate at my Indy IV hat, it will be bashed as something truly unique, not "just another raiders bash" (not that that's a bad thing of course... :lol: ).

Brian
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

And if it is indeed a blockshape similiar to the Raiders block, it would morp too easily into the Raiders fedora!! But from the film perspective, it is certainly not the Raiders fedora as we see it on that new clip from ET. Going by what I see of the jacket, and now the hat, I think Spielberg wanted to revisit TLC in so far as the Indy outfit. I imagine that film would have been fresher on his mind in manners of the costume.

The Raider's fedora was the creation of Deborah. That is so obvious now. That is her hat. Her personal touch, and from my perspective, she was the costumer that really matched the hat to the character in Raiders. Not only was Indy a bit grittier, his hat was as well. And that is the hat that I personally like. None of the later hats, including this new one can hold a candle to the original creation. But, I think each costumer wants their own signature on "the hat". It just so happens that Deborah's signature is the most sought after by hard core fans. The general public hardly notice the differences. Fedora
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

I’ve always been torn between which hat I like better, the Raiders or the LC. To me this one is the best of both worlds.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Well, as much as people say that the Raiders hat is the best, it seems that no one is willing to go the whole nine yards when it comes to shaping their own hats. If you look at the styling link at the bottom of the Todd's costumes page, you'll see what I mean.

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/HJ%20 ... fedora.htm

Many of the COW members shape theirs like the "Raiders Dress Styling," when in fact Indy's hat looked much more like the "Cairo Styling." To shape it like Cairo, it seems you almost have to risk damaging the hat. Since no one wants to ruin a $300 hat, people would rather settle for the "Dress Styling."

I actually prefer the Last Crusade styling, myself. It may not look as well-loved as the Raiders hat, but you can't deny that it's got style. As far as the Raiders-Crusade hybrid is concerned, I couldn't get a good enough look to see how it's like the Raiders hat, but I'd have to agree with squidkid and inexpensive jones. I like the idea, and I can't wait to see some better pictures.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Thanks, but I wear mine Cairo. So if that's Deborah Nadoolman's contribution to the look, I guess I have her to thank...and Steve, who bashed mine knowing that's where I wanted it to go over time, and I've been reshaping it since I got it... It's got to look like it's been USED and LOVED. ;)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i prefer the idol grab scene......after the bullwhip swing. the hat has got the nice turn in her and its not destroyed yet and still has some nice lines to her.

of course, i have a hat for SOC as well :D
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Have people been posting their "well-loved" hats and I just haven't been seeing them? It seems like the ones that I've seen have been mostly a dressy kinda Raiders shape.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Captain Ron Solo »

Didn't they take the sweatband out of the Cairo hat, and then cinch it? To me, that is going too far to acheive a look. At least, it's farther than I'm willing to take my own hat. That being said, it is my favorite style.
As I've gotten older, I've developed an appreciation for both the Temple and the Last Crusade hats. Better for formal wear. Just my $1/50. :wink:

JKL
Ron
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Fedora wrote:From what I saw on the newly released video of the hats stacked up, I see a hybrid. A Raideresque block with LC creases. A blending of the old and the new.
I agree with the hybrid assesment, especially since both of my Indy hats are hybrids. My AB is a Raiders Idol Grab with a lighter LC pinch, and my JPD looks almost exactly like the hat in the ET clips! So, I guess I already have an Indy IV hat. :rolling:

By the way, Steve; Check your PM's

Chewie
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Well, I guess now I'm gonna get two Akubras: one for my Emperor's Tomb hat, and one for the Indy 4 hat.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

All this talk about the Indy IV bash and the raiders style got me thinking that I really want the raiders tight pinch on my rabbit AB. Of course I wanted a hybrid (since that seems to be popular :D ) so I've asked for the raiders pinch with the venice pier brim, a nice blending of my two favorite hats. I think it is going to look great!
indyguy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

hat

Post by indyguy »

I just watched the video when I saw the hat I was surprised that it looks like the way I bash my AB and my hat looks well loved I'm so happy it looks the way it does in the movie.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

So, any guesses if that hat's a beaver felt, or rabbit felt, wool, etc? ;)
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I wanna say beaver.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I second that.
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Pro'ly beaver.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Of course, I'm not the producer, but I would guess beaver for the hero hats, rabbit for the stunt hats. Why waste the money? But again, I'm not in charge of the budget. :wink:

JKL
Ron
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Captain Ron Solo wrote:Of course, I'm not the producer, but I would guess beaver for the hero hats, rabbit for the stunt hats. Why waste the money? But again, I'm not in charge of the budget. :wink:

JKL
Ron
Curiously enough, I would have thought that if two different material were to be used, it would be the inverse (rabbit for hero hats, beaver for stunts), seeing as how rabbit felt would look more 'cinematic', while beaver, being the tougher of the two, would hold up better against abuse.
Captain Ron Solo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I think you're right about that. I was just thinking in terms of dollars. :) I suppose that it'd be best to have beaver all around. :D

JKL
Ron
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hard to tell what sort of felt is being used on the new hat. It looks like decent felt to me and a decent hat, but heck, anything looks good on Ford. They could have put him in a Stetson Temple and he would have looked good. Afterall, at least one of the TOD hats was a Stetson. And, at least one of the LC hats was a Stetson.

But back to the Raiders fedora. From my perspective today, (and it is a brand new perspective in some ways), we can thank Deborah for the Raiders fedora. And NO ONE ELSE. I want to emphasize that. That was her hat, and I guarantee you, there was no accidents involved in the hat looking the way that it does. It was planned. That warped brim was done on purpose, and was not a happy accident. It was done for a reason. And because of this, as far as many Indyfans go, she was a genius. That hat is just so non typical of a dress fedora. And she altered the hat to represent what she saw as Indy's brown fedora. Her vision still stands out today as this board has been a witness to.

I just hate it that the decison was made not to retro back to that original hat. I think we can thank the other two costumers for TOD and LC for that. The current production must have wanted the hat to be in continuity with TLC hat. And TLC hat and the TOD hat have more in common with one another than either do with the Radiers fedora. To me, from the Indyfan perspective, at least using a Raiders block with LC creases does tie the hat back to the original hat that started this whole deal. And I feel we can thank the current costumer for that. I think 20 years from now, the Indyfans of that era will be talking about how the two best costumers were Deborah and the current costumer. But we shall have to wait and see.

I don't know about you guys, but I plan on going to see the film everyday that it is here. The first few times I will be watching the film as one normally watches a film. Then, I will start watching nothing but the hat, and the jacket. :lol: Ok, ok, perhaps I have that backwards. The first time I watch the film, my eyes will never leave his hat!! :lol: Fedora
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

To be honest, I really don't think any CoW member will be really paying attention to the story more than to the gear the first time around... :D
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I don't think I'll be able to watch the movie without staring at the hat until I've had the movie on DVD for a few years.
IndyFan89
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndyFan89 »

I have to get one of these hats!!!!!
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Y'know what guys? I was too lazy to order an Akubra right now, so I'm rebashing my "Young Indy" Mayser Fedora. Just got the Raiders-style pinch dealt with.

I am making it in the Indy 4 style, right? The new hat's got a tight pinch like it did in ROTLA, but otherwise looks like an LC fedora, correct? (The videos don't work on our new Vista right now.)
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I managed to get some screenshots from the video. Like I said earlier, it seems like they're just teasing us. Hats on a shelf don't tell much, the lighting and fog of the second picture makes it difficult to see anything, and the third, though a great shot of the back, is still a shot of the back instead of the front.

Regardless, I'd have to disagree about the Indy IV pinch being tighter than the LC pinch. I look at the LC pictures on the fedora page http://indygear.com/gear/fedora.shtml and I have trouble seeing how the pictures below have a tighter pinch than that.

Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Mark Brody wrote:I managed to get some screenshots from the video. Like I said earlier, it seems like they're just teasing us. Hats on a shelf don't tell much, the lighting and fog of the second picture makes it difficult to see anything, and the third, though a great shot of the back, is still a shot of the back instead of the front.

Regardless, I'd have to disagree about the Indy IV pinch being tighter than the LC pinch. I look at the LC pictures on the fedora page http://indygear.com/gear/fedora.shtml and I have trouble seeing how the pictures below have a tighter pinch than that.

So.....did I just modify my Mayser for no reason?
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Just a reminder, we have a policy of no Indy IV vendor talk here at the moment:

viewtopic.php?t=22483

Whilst everyone is free to discuss the various costume parts from Indy IV, we can't talk about specific vendors yet. A couple of posts above were edited to remove vendor references.

Thank you for your understanding.

Al
Last edited by ob1al on Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

Mark Brody wrote:I don't think I'll be able to watch the movie without staring at the hat until I've had the movie on DVD for a few years.
One of the reasons I got out of hardcore gear collecting.

Quite simply, my attention to the details and inability to watch them for the story anymore was killing the movies for me.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Jared - the new hat definitely doesn't have a Raiders pinch... it's a LC bash on a Raiders crown. At least that's what I can tell from those pictures.

In Christ,
Shane
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

IndyMcFly wrote:Jared - the new hat definitely doesn't have a Raiders pinch... it's a LC bash on a Raiders crown. At least that's what I can tell from those pictures.

In Christ,
Shane
Shoot.....oh well, guess I'll just make my fedora into a Raiders one.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

im sure i had posted on this but it seems to have evaporated
sebas
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sebas »

Guys, I really don't see the Raiders crown like many of you say. It's not nearly as tall. The brim seems narrower as well...

Question is: what is the differece between this Indy IV fedora and the LC fedora? They seem pretty much identical.

And yes, I also agree with the earlier statement that the hat looks a bit "tepid." Not really broken-in. Gotta love that Cairo lid...