PB Straw

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

PB Straw

Post by Tycoonman »

Here's the new hat I just got.

Tycoonman
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

THAT is cool lid man. Very nice. I think I need one for the summer. How much are we looking at ? :)

JJ
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

$120, completely customizable.

Tycoonman
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Is the straw as soft as it looks? It's very nice. I've been wanting to see a customer pic of that one for a while!
Oh, how long did it take to get?
Chewie
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's the same material Joe uses for our brown Indy versions, but in 'natural'.

It's one of Joe Peters favorites. He wears one himself in summer made of this material, but in a different style.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i always wondered what a straw hat with an indy bash would look like. thanks for sharing :D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://www.petersbros.com/INDY_CUSTOM/Default.htm

Scroll down the page and look at the official straw Indy he makes.

Regards! Michaelson
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

What did you request in regards to shaping or style when you ordered your hat? Thanks.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

That's a Milano straw, isn't it?

It's really quite nice and you wear it well.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I believe it is, HJ.

Regards! Michaelson
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

Looks like Palm Leaf to me???? Web site did not say.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Like I said, I believe what Joe told me it was at the time, Cowboy, was milano, not palm leaf. I'd remember that. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Milano is very tough and very nice. Certainly a suitable material for such a nice hat. I would buy one of these. I may buy one of these! :wink:
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:Is the straw as soft as it looks?
Yes it is, it can be bent in just about any direction with out snapping.
Chewbacca Jones wrote:It's very nice. I've been wanting to see a customer pic of that one for a while!
A lot of people have been asking about it, yet no one really has one, or has a camera to take pictures with... Michaelson! :P
Chewbacca Jones wrote:Oh, how long did it take to get?
It took about 3 weeks, showed up just in time for miniature golf today!
IndyFlyer wrote:What did you request in regards to shaping or style when you ordered your hat? Thanks.
Nothing fancy, white with a black band. Only reason I had it constructed that way instead of the norm, was to have something a bit different that went with other outfits.

Tycoonman
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Tycoonman wrote:.......or has a camera to take pictures with... Michaelson! :P

Tycoonman

:- :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Wow, excellent looking hat! It looks great in the white with the black ribbon, if I hadn't just bought a panama locally I'd order one now! Maybe for next summer...
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Very nice summer lid.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I like the looks of that lid in the white. Very nice indeed! :D

Cheers!

Dan
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I called up Peter Brothers to ask questions and finally take the plunge. It is Milan Straw, and if you talk it out with them, you can ask for different pinches, brim shapes, and brim sizes. It's not much different than ordering a custom felt hat. I'm happy, and I don't even have my hat yet! :D
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I called up Peter Brothers to ask questions and finally take the plunge. It is Milan Straw, and if you talk it out with them, you can ask for different pinches, brim shapes, and brim sizes. It's not much different than ordering a custom felt hat. I'm happy, and I don't even have my hat yet! :D
Excellent! I was going to take the plunge myself but we're in the middle of the wettest Summer in years here in the UK so I decided to wait for next year. Well, that and the fact I've just payed for an AB Dlx!
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I called up Peter Brothers to ask questions and finally take the plunge. It is Milan Straw, and if you talk it out with them, you can ask for different pinches, brim shapes, and brim sizes. It's not much different than ordering a custom felt hat. I'm happy, and I don't even have my hat yet! :D
I was serious when I said it was completely customizable. :roll:

Sure I didn't change much when I ordered it, but they pretty much said they could create whatever I had invisioned. Thats what I invisoned above.

By the way when you recieve your hat the front pinch may be a little flat due to packaging and shipping. Milan straw is very soft and floopy and can lose that tight pinch easily when shipped. Just use a little bit of water to fix any imperections you find with the bash.

Tycoonman
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I was pleased to have been given the opportunity to handle the prototype Indy straw some years ago when my wife and I visited the Peter's Brothers shop in Ft. Worth.

Joe and wife Nelda are a JOY to meet and be around, and are honest to gosh nice folks to get to know.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Thanks, Tycoonman. I'm really excited about this straw. The only Milan straws I've seen were so heavily treated with stiffener that I could have used them as weapons, ala Odd Job! :shock:
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

Just be thankful it isn't Toby Kieth hat... 100% Paper... At your local Wal-Mart... :lol:

Tycoonman
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Tycoonman wrote:Just be thankful it isn't Toby Kieth hat... 100% Paper... At your local Wal-Mart... :lol:

Tycoonman
HEY! I have some darn nice paper hats!!!!! :x
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Well, I have my Peter Bros. Straw. I'm waiting on pictures until I get it into some kind of respectable shape. Whatever shape it started as is not what I ended up with. Anyway, it's very big on me for some reason, but I double checked my head measurement and the hat circ. They match. So I guess it's because it's so soft, it just gives too easily.

Anyway, I stuffed the band with foam, but it feels very wierd. Does anybody know if PB's shrink a bit over time?
Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

The sweatband will shrink tremendously with regular use, so no need to be concerned with that. I did notice the packaging kinda messes up the bash they send it with. Like I said a little water, and maybe some stiffener, and you will get a nice look to it.

Tycoonman
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

That's reassuring, Tycoonman. Especially since it's actually starting to look like something. I was worried I'd have to sell it off.
IndyChaos
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndyChaos »

That is a good looking straw hat, and I like the brown hat as well, maybe moreso. But that white hat is very sharp looking.
OK before I say this, I have to preface my thoughts with a little caveat. I am originally from Arlington which is right outside Ft. Worth, TX so Peters Bros. is the hometown hero when it comes to hats. I have purchased several hats from them in person, including my first Indy hat, which was a Stetson Temple. They are great people, and they truly want to help you out.
But I am sorry, their Web site could use some work. It doesn't present the hats well. It's hard to navigate. And the colors make your eyes scream out in pain when trying to read about their products. If I knew anything about making Web sites, I would gladly offer my services. I bet they would sell more hats if their site was a tad more sleek. Just IMHO.
Cheers,
Chaos
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

OK, my PB is still a little wonky in shape, but here are the pics, at last. The one of me wearing it, the sun is in my eyes... I did not swallow a lemon. The ribbon is black and the straw color is called Bleached.

Tycoonman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tycoonman »

Nice looking hat. I can tell the brim is very floppy. A little stiffener will fix that right up. You might want to also lower the crown a bit. That's what I did to mine. It should take all off 5 minutes to do.