Gradu-aldens! +Review/Pics!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

McFly
Scoundrel

Gradu-aldens! +Review/Pics!

Post by McFly »

So I'm graduating high school this coming Thursday and my parents offered me the choice of what gift I wanted, within their price restrictions. Well the Aldens fit the bill, and I quickly picked them over a new cell phone (because my RAZR is @#$%). Today or tomorrow I'm going to get measured at a shop that sells orthopedic shoes. I'm thinking I also want to do one of those, "trace-your-foot and measure-this" guides online and see if it was close to the ortho measurement, just for fun. Obviously I'll go with the measurement, but we'll see how these online things compare, and how big a mistake I'd have made if I went with one of those. :lol:

How long does shipping take? From San Francisco to the LA Area...?

Is there a wait for shipping - ie. "they'll ship in like 4 months"?

In Christ,
Shane
Last edited by McFly on Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Herr Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Herr Jones »

Less than five days, three if you're lucky.

I'm 20 min out of L.A.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Congratulations, Shane! You're going to love the Aldens, just remember to rotate them around with whatever other shoes you have regularly, and that they are not really "adventure" boots, per se. Enjoy!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Shane, Congrats on your GED! :lol: :wink: Seriously, congrats on surviving high school. I think you're smart getting measured up for your Aldens. Ask the orthopedic shoe store you're going to if they can order Aldens. It may make things easier. Are you going for pink Aldens to match your bag? :wink:
Bogie1943
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Bogie1943 »

Barely out of high school and already a scoundrel, well done. My first Aldens were a birthday gift and they are a great one at that. I have a Razor as well.... yuck but I would take the Aldens over a new cell any day. Aldens are a much better choice anyway! :wink: Congrads!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Shane, Congrats on your GED! :lol: :wink: Seriously, congrats on surviving high school. I think you're smart getting measured up for your Aldens. Ask the orthopedic shoe store you're going to if they can order Aldens. It may make things easier. Are you going for pink Aldens to match your bag? :wink:
Ask if they can order them? Maybe I will... I was going to just order them online with the 2 day shipping. We'll see when I go there. Maybe just regular color Aldens, with pink insides. Like Jerry's Wested.

Bogie - thanks man! Yeah I hate my Razr... it doesn't work very well and can't hold a charge. Oh well. I am really looking forward to the shoes though. I'm pumped!

In Christ,
Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

IndyMcFly wrote:Ask if they can order them? Maybe I will... I was going to just order them online with the 2 day shipping. We'll see when I go there. Maybe just regular color Aldens, with pink insides. Like Jerry's Wested.
The reason I suggest you getting them through the shoe store is that they should make sure the shoes fit you right before leaving the store with them. (That's how I got my Aldens.) If for some reason they don't fit right (which they should if they measured you properly for them) then the store should take care of getting a replacement pair at no extra cost to you. I'm sure they could get you the pink ones, too. :wink:

As for the razor, I've had great luck with the desposable Bic ones and a good shaving brush. Our Shane is growing up. *sniff* :wink:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

IndyMcFly wrote:Maybe just regular color Aldens, with pink insides. Like Jerry's Wested.
:-$

Congratulation, Shane! And yeah, having a middle man seems counter-intuitive, but in this case the orthopedic store can MAKE SURE they are a good fit, and exchange them for you if there's a problem. ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Indiana Jerry wrote:Congratulation, Shane!
What, just one congratulation? I gave him two, giving him congratulations. :wink:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Maybe he meant congraduation...? I usually say "conflatulations" to people, and see if they catch it.

I'm going today to get measured and all that. I'm not sure if they will sell Aldens - it's just a shoe store in a mall nearby that does orthopedic shoes, as well as... regular.... shoes?

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

No, no, I meant conflagration. My bad, sorry about the typo.

(Flame on!)
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

usually say "conflatulations" to people, and see if they catch it.
Ha ! I like that, Ill have to remember that one ! Congrats by the way !
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Congrats Shane!!

Did you buy your Aldens yet?

Be sure to post pics when you get them!

~Perceval
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Ordered them today! Went and got measured and came home to order them. Had a difficult time getting the width letter out of the measurer. She just kept saying, "Yeah... you're wide." Then I'd say, "Oh... okay... what letter? Like A, B, C, D? EE?" and she'd go "W." (That's HUGE. :wink:) And I said "So like a C?" And she said, "Yeah. Just tell him you're wide and he'll do it all." So I said, "Okay... a C." "Yeah. Wide." "Okay."

lol I told her I was getting Aldens and the old woman said, "Oh my God!" and said that she couldn't order them there because they don't carry them.

So I did the 2 day air shipping. Hopefully I'll have these by Thursday. *crosses fingers*

Excited!!

In Christ,
Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Good luck, Shane! :wink:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks! I'm gonna need it! I just looked at the Alden width guide and "wide" is like D through E! But she did say C... so... I'll post pics when they show up!

In Christ,
Shane
Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falcon »

I wear a "D". I tried a "C" size years ago, and it was too narrow. To my understanding, anything below a "D" is narrow, and anything above is wide.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Shane - Congrats on graduating! I hope the aldens work out for you!

So are you debating on what gear to get when you finish college? Then you can get your masters and get another piece of gear...then PHD...then law school...then Medical school. :D
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Falcon wrote:I wear a "D". I tried a "C" size years ago, and it was too narrow. To my understanding, anything below a "D" is narrow, and anything above is wide.
See, I wear a D, but I noticed when I squeeze them into a C, I get way more attention.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yeah, but not GOOD attention. :wink:
Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falcon »

Indiana Jerry wrote:
Falcon wrote:I wear a "D". I tried a "C" size years ago, and it was too narrow. To my understanding, anything below a "D" is narrow, and anything above is wide.
See, I wear a D, but I noticed when I squeeze them into a C, I get way more attention.
I'll just take your word for it. No pics please.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Shipped today! UPS 2nd Day Air. Should be here Thursday afternoon, if not earlier. :D

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Falcon wrote:
Indiana Jerry wrote:
I'll just take your word for it. No pics please.
hahaha...no, I wouldn't take the joke that far. We've already corrupted young McFly much to much...(far too far?)
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Can't wait to see your new Aldens, McFly. I'm curious about the heel construction of the new ones. I recently scored a used pair on Ebay, and the heel is slightly different than on my other pair of Aldens.
The first pair had would shims between the heel and sole, and the more recent(used) pair have a hard rubber spacer between the heel and sole.
'Blues
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

A rubber spacer? Does it look at all rebuilt, or as originally manufactured?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sounds like they have definitely been reheeled by a cobbler before you purchased them, Blues. Even rebuilt by Aldens, they use the wood inserts between the rubber heel and the sole.

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

They're here!! I have them on now, and I'm pretty sure they fit. I have on socks that are kind of thick, and the shoes feel snug. They're not *tight* like I can't move around in them, but they're not loose. They feel pretty comfortable, and I really like the color. It's not orange... it's like a medium brown with some red. I would say... burnt umber + russet.

Interesting... the bottom of the shoe looks (and feels) like it's rubber, and not leather. Maybe I'll have a little more traction than with older shoes? (Hey! They look like they're already shaping to my foot...!) It has a sort of dark brown cork pattern on it. It's definitely not slippery at all. I'll post pics later.

These shoes don't look good with shorts at all... tonight I'm wearing them to Graduation and Grad Nite and I'll take pics before I leave. I'll have Magnoli pants on. :D \:D/

I think I made a nice investment.

Oh, also, I noticed the tongue slides on my right shoe. Guess they haven't fixed that one yet. *sniff sniff*

Mmmm... leather. I love the smell of new gear in the morning.

In Christ,
Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

GOOD for you, Shane! I'm pleased for you. Congratulations for making it through to graduation!

It takes a lot of guts these days to stay the course. I'm proud of you! :D

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

....so......are you saying you like them ? :-k
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

No, but they won't come off my feet... :wink:

In Christ,
Shane
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

butter...lots and lots of butter ! They will just slide off !
Im glad you like them young man ! :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Ripper wrote:butter...lots and lots of butter ! They will just slide off !
Pecards is better, but hey, use what you like in leather dressing. [-( :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I think I need some more dark brown socks. :-k Hmmm...

These shoes rock! Ok I'm off the computer now to do some... field... work... I'll post a review tomorrow after a day in them. Would you guys recommend thin socks with these, or thick ones?

In Christ,
Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Alright, Shane! Sounds like you've got a good fitting pair of shoes! :wink: If you wear thicker socks with them, the will feel a bit more snug. I usually wear dress socks or a medium weight sock with mine.

As for the tongue slippage (as far as your shies are concerned) you can take them to an experienced cobbler and have him tack them in place. I've done so on both my Aldens and it works like a charm. Essentially, a quick couple of stiches along the top seam of the shoe along the ankle does the trick, and stiching on top of the existing stitch makes it unnoticeable.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Regular. :D

Regards,
Swindiana
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Shane, the yellow is where I had the tongue of my Aldens stiched. (I stole someone's Alden pic, sorry. :wink: ) It's right on an existing seam, so it blends in, especially when you start polishing your shoes. The only difference is that mine are stitched on the INSIDE part of the shoe, not the outside as shown here. :wink:

Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Doesnt that make them hard to put on ?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Nope. All you're doing is tacking in the top corner of the tongue to the top of the boot. You're not sewing up the entire tongue. It's only stiched on the one side/corner, so you can easily pull it back to slip your foot in. No problemo. :wink:
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Good to hear that you got your Aldens Shane!
Maybe you could post a few pics :wink:

~Perceval
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

So I wore them Thursday night to graduation, and all through "Grad Nite" at Disneyland. Grad night went from 12:00 am - 5:30 am. (I don't normally stay up that late, ever.) But our bus left without anybody on the bus and the principal had to call in a new one, so we ended up getting home around 8, instead of 6. So I wore the Aldens from 6:00 pm Thursday until 8:00 am Friday.

My feet did hurt at the end of the whole thing, but not badly - I think they just hurt from a combination of me being tired, and having walked around all day in new shoes. I wore them last night too and they didn't hurt as bad. Is the heel supposed to be taller than the front of the shoe? I can lean back and stand on just the heel, or lean forward and be on the heel and the front of the shoe, but have the heel off the ground in the back. Is that normal? Kinda weird. For now, they kind of irritate the tops of my feet near my toes, but I think that's because they don't bend much yet.

Also, I got plenty of compliments on them, which was nice to hear, and I'm getting used to the color.

In Christ,
Shane

EDIT: Pics!
Inside, w/ flash
Outside, in shade
Outside, in sunlight
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Those look great! My feet hurt too when I initially got mine, but once I broke the shoes in, they were some of the most comfy shoes I've ever worn. Over time, everything will work out with them comfort wise. Just remember to rotate 'em around with other shoes you own, or you'll be sending them away for a re-heel before you know it.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

IndyMcFly, congrats on the new boots. :clap:

They look wonderful. =P~
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Great looking boots Shane!
The color looks great, I'm sure they will become darker with use.

~Perceval
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Somtimes. I found that mine got darker after I gave them a rubbing down with shoe MGK and brown Pecards.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

IndyMcFly wrote:So I wore the Aldens from 6:00 pm Thursday until 8:00 am Friday.
Well, that's a good way to break in your feet, anyway. ;) Glad you survived!

Now that you've worn them all night...did they feel heavy to you? And in a couple weeks...did you get used to that? ;) They ARE heavier than anything aside from some work boots I used to have.

Separate 'new Alden owner' question...did they COME WITH extra laces? I tend to 'saw' the laces against the speed hooks when I lace up, and it EATS the laces. If you do the same, keep an eye on the laces so you'll know in advance when to call Aldens for replacements.

Wear them in good health, Graduate!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Yeah, they did come with spare laces! AND I have another spare pair... don't ask how I got them. :wink:

Oh, and yes they did feel heavy, but only the next morning when I realized how sore my thighs were.

In Christ,
Shane
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Hey! Congrats McFly bro, those boots make a man.

Hey, this is kind of a stupid question, but is there a pic of Jerry's pink-lined wested?...haha
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I have glossy photos of it, but they will cost you $20 each. 8)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I have free ones... here ya go.

It's a nice Miami Vice pink - hard to see in the shadows though. We gave him trouble for not taking pics in natural light. In some pics it even looks gray! You should see the turqoise liner in his AB.

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

:shock: Ohhh...that was evil. :evil: Well done, but evil. Your journey to the darkside is nearly complete... :twisted: :lol: :wink: