Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

"THE" Indy Jacket to get

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Hello all,
I'm still fairly new to COW, and after searching and searching for "THE" right fedora, I found AB's. So...I ordered one from both Marc and Steve. Now as far as "THE" Jacket, which one is it? Wested? US Wings? Another company perhaps? Which one would be most accurate historically? I've looked and searched through the threads, but I failed to find any that addresses this. It's probably been talked about before, so could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's all subjective.

Historically, it's going to be Wested if you're talking about the originator of the jacket in the first place.

As you say, there are several to choose from, and fans for every version. You'll get a lot of 'advice', some good, some bad....but the best thing to do is take your time and read read read.

Do your research. Heck, you've only been a member for week here, and there are PAGES and PAGES to read about this topic.

Regards! Michaelson
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Thanks Michaelson. You are right. I need to read and read. I'm just finishing up finals in college, so I guess I'll have a lot more time on my hands to see what others have said. I was looking for a quick fix answer, but you are right, everyone has a different opinion, so I just need to keep reading until I find what I'm looking for.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

!

Post by coronado3 »

Probably the closest I've seen is from Wested with the PLATON specs. This jacket is the best of both worlds...Original maker w/ SA specs. PLATON put together an absolutely nit-picky list of custom options that really make the wested great. However, I still think that it looks too short, so perhaps the PLATON seam and pocket specs on a TOD style wested would be the ticket.

Todd's is also darn accurate, but seems to have some variation as far as different sizes are concerned. Perhaps wait a year or so for this one to really become a fantastic jacket. Todd will absolutely nail it in all sizes soon!

C3
doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

WESTED
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

:!:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

doc riviere wrote:WESTED
Oh, COME on doc....quit beating around the bush. Which company do you REALLY think he should consider? :? :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

flightjacket!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Members Only!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

geez bink, if we're opening up the floor for members only jackets then my vote goes to:

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Here begins the thread derailment.

Seriously though, it is ironic that the same woman who worked on the Raiders jacket did the jacket for the comic relief pic posted above of the child molester.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Really?! HAHA!!!! I guess I started a battle of the best jacket. I hope this thread goes on and on, for I'm all ears :lol: I'm not in any hurry to get one, so please continue.... :D Carry on.......
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nope. They all know if things go to far afield, things either get locked or removed. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

I'm not trying to start a fight, just want to hear all sides is all I meant. O:) The last thing I want is to start is a fight. :whip: I'm just glad to be a part of this club, because there is so much info to learn here. If it weren't for this club, I'd be in the dark concerning hats, Indygear, and what not. One again, thank you all for letting me join this club of yours. :) [-o<
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Oh, I'm not trying to start a fight, either, but everytime someone simply asks "what jacket should I get?" all that usually happens is that folks throw in the name of their favorite jacket and leave it at that. Really, the best thing to do is take a day and read through the countless jacket threads and find the specific type of info you're looking for. And as far as "THE" jacket goes, a number of makers and people actually had a hand of some sort in the creation of the Raiders jacket, so it's not always as easy as saying "I want the jacket made 100% by the maker of the original."

Do you have a budget? Is there a specific type of leather you're looking for? Do you want a tailored jacket or one off the rack? Are you after a costume piece or something to wear every day for a lifetime? Once you start answering some of these questions for you, the solutions can lead you any number of directions. Again, there's a TON of info in the jacket section to read. Most people are bound to blankly tell you to get this jacket, or that hat, or these trousers without giving any specifics as to why. Sure, there's a lot of quality gear to be had these days, but it ultimately comes down to your own research and choice. Choose wisely, meaning, educate yourself and make an informed decision. :wink:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

good point bink. but if you don't have time to read the bajillion posts on jackets. here's the breakdown:

1. wested: good price, original maker, SA is questionable on standard orders. custom orders can provide you with SA but is a gamble if you get everything that you spec.
2. us wings: awesome price (if purchased on the discount rack), was involved with indy productions from the grandfather company when they were cooper, not very SA at all.
3. flightsuits expedition: conceived from the forefathers of this forum, premium price, SA per the raiders stunt jacket and not the hero jacket.
4. todd's jacket: made by a indy fan based on what they interpret the jacket to be. fair price. very, very screen accurate.

these are the "big 3" or 4 if you like. we will probably get alot of opinions flying in from hereon in. this is my personal observations of what jackets are available. i have left out flightjacket as their standard jacket is not very SA and not very price friendly but i have one of these that was customized to SA. i find it to be a beautiful jacket all on its own. i'm probably going to embark on a flightsuits project if i can buy the tailor's time for some SA mods.

all in all, if you're a newb and want an indy jacket and aren't a stitch nazi like myself, agent 5, platon, etc...........go with a wested :D
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I especially like the galloping action. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Why do I feel like I just watched an episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus? :-k :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

And now for something completely different.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Good one AC. :D

Cheers,
G-MANN
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

:lol: :lol: :lol: that's cool AC!!!
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Yes, very funny :D Makes me want to get some coconut shells
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

HA!! I had my girlfriend buy me a coconut a few months ago. I split it in two, took the meat out, and then had her trail me around the house while clapping them together. Hey, everyone should have a horse! :lol: :whip:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Or a girlfriend willing to follow you round the house clapping coconut shells. :wink:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Ummmm.....my wife runs around the house trying to get away from me, all the time. Maybe, I need to get some coconuts.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts. Here they are sitting in a row... :wink:
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

;0 Are you going to supply us with pics bink? :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not sure I want to see those myself, SR! :shock: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

You must know something I don't Michaelson :? I'll take your advice and drop the subject :o
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Sitting Rabbit wrote:You must know something I don't Michaelson :? I'll take your advice and drop the subject :o
He learns quickly, Michaelson. He's a keeper. :wink:
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

I chose.................wisely? :P
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Absolutely!!! :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

looks like he doesn't know about the pros of hiding under the plymouth....
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That lesson comes soon enough. The penetant gearhead... The penetant gearhead... :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not yet, but that's coming.... 8)

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

That lesson comes soon enough. The penetant gearhead... The penetant gearhead...
penetant...penetant...the penetant gearhead is humble before cow.......JUMP UNDER THE PLYMOUTH!!!!.......
WillieS
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WillieS »

Aeris_Canon wrote:Good breakdown, IG.

Just a matter of how much money you feel like spending to make yourself feel like Indy. :P In the meantime...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great one Aeris!
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

I will, once again, spoil a thread completely by being serious... :?

To me the big descission these days is not the maker but the hide. I have the impression that people want the jacket totally SA, but when they order they choose horse or goat because they want a durable jacket, and then a different vendor because the price is right.

But... The original was a Wested lamb. End of story. And they still make one h... of a fine lamb-jacket, so what is there to think about?

Oh... The old question, we know it drapes well, but can the lamb stand the time of a real Indy? May be, may be not. One argument in these days has been, that the goat of today resembles the lamb of 1980 more than the lamb of today. I cant tell if thats true, but after having owned a cow, a goat and now a lamb, there is no doubt to me that the lamb and goat are the only ones You can distress to a certain SA look. The cow was VERY durable, but didn't drape well and weighted too much to get the comfy look.

So my advice would be to choose lamb or goat, and if the origin is important, from Wested.

Cheers
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

IndyK don't forget the lambtouch. When you remove the shine of the jacket or you just wait till it distress naturally you will get a really good Raiders look. The lambtouch also drapes like butter. It's thinner as their lambskin but it won't look thin and is even more durable as the lamb.
Advertisment over :lol:

Much regards

orb
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Unless things have changed, I don't think Wested has brown lambtouch cowhide anymore, but black.

That's what I was told at the time they made my 'Abner/Fedora' coat last year.

If you DO order lambtouch, be SURE to include the word 'cowhide' after 'lambtouch', or they'll send you lambskin.

Regards! Michaelson
IndyK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyK »

orb wrote:IndyK don't forget the lambtouch.
Forgot about that one, sorry... But now that You remind me, I think I've read they were discontinued anyway?

Never mind, I have a new lamb now and the feel and drape, allready before being distressed, suddenly gives that Raiders-feel I've been searching for since 1981. But off course, as with the original shirt, one thing is movie-costumes on screen, another thing is real-life feel and durability.

BTW, why dont any vendors take up the challenge to make really SA jackets, distressed like the ones in Raiders?
I know it's part of the game to do Your own distressing, but all the "pre-distressed" jackets I've seen has had a totally different look, and not a good one if You ask me, because the hide is distressed before they cut the pieces for the jacket. Just an idea.

Cheers

Indy-K
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Michaelson they actually still have the brown lambtouch hide.
They got it back a few month ago.
As you know I have got one Raiders lambtouch recently.

Much regards

orb
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I know you got one, but I was told it was from old stock they found in storage. If it IS new stock, they really need to post that on their website. It's great stuff, and one of my favorites.

Regards! Michaelson
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

From what I've seen so far Todd's cow hide looks very thin and drapey. Out of the box as it were, it looks more SA than a Wested IMHO. :-
Last edited by djd on Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

IndyK wrote:
orb wrote:IndyK don't forget the lambtouch.
Forgot about that one, sorry... But now that You remind me, I think I've read they were discontinued anyway?

Never mind, I have a new lamb now and the feel and drape, allready before being distressed, suddenly gives that Raiders-feel I've been searching for since 1981. But off course, as with the original shirt, one thing is movie-costumes on screen, another thing is real-life feel and durability.

BTW, why dont any vendors take up the challenge to make really SA jackets, distressed like the ones in Raiders?
I know it's part of the game to do Your own distressing, but all the "pre-distressed" jackets I've seen has had a totally different look, and not a good one if You ask me, because the hide is distressed before they cut the pieces for the jacket. Just an idea.

Cheers

Indy-K
I'd just venture a guess that the reason they don't do this is because that would probably take alot more time and effort as opposed to what is currently being done, and this personal attention would drive up the prices significantly?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I'm all about screen accuracy. I want my full sized movie screen to have the proper 1.37:1 width to height ratio. :wink:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

if we're talking hides here, us authentic's (flightjacket) vintage goatskin is definitely as soft as wested's AB lamb, drapes just like it and is just a hair heavier....almost to the point that you don't notice.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

TOO MANY OPINIONS, TOO MANY CHOICES :!: :!: :!: ](*,) #-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You can't say you weren't warned. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Sitting Rabbit wrote:TOO MANY OPINIONS, TOO MANY CHOICES :!: :!: :!: ](*,) #-o
We haven't even got started yet! :twisted: