Henry's pocket watch...does anyone have one?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Henry's pocket watch...does anyone have one?

Post by Perceval »

Has anyone been able to find a replica, or the actual same type of pocket watch that Henry has?

~Perceval
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Which one? They actually used two different pocket watches for different scenes.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, I don't know who's got Henry's pocket watch but I do know Bink's got Henry's wallet! :lol:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

I'm sure Michaelson has both of them. He has more pocket watches than fedoras.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I agree with the duck, my bet is that Michaelson would have them, or know where to find them. I'd love to visit his home someday. Every room ticks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

binkmeisterRick wrote: Every room ticks!
Darn near! :lol:

The open face watch we seen him check when they are in the plane can be seen in the LucasFilm book, and appears to be a Swiss 16 size watch, based on an American Waltham.

The hunter (closed face) watch we see him wind up when he's in the motorcycle chase is NEVER clearly seen, and we can only surmise what it may be. It's at least a 16 size from the appearance, but other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Why can't they be the same watch?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Not sure I understand your question, VP.

That's kind of like asking why a car with a convertible top isn't like a station wagon. They're two totally different cars.

Same with these watches that Henry Sr. is seen carrying. One is a closed case hunter watch that has a cover, the other an open face/dial watch that HAS no cover. Two completely different designs, and easily seen in the movie when Henry Sr. pulls them out to check the time, or wind his watch.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Who says there were two watches?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Anyone who watches the movie and knows anything about pocket watches says so, VP. There's no guess work on this one. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Get me the evidence in screen caps and I just might believe you. 8)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Makes no difference to me whether you believe me or not, VP.

Watch the movie for yourself and you'll discover what I'm talking about. I've given you the exact scenes to look for that show both watches, and what to look for.

Regards!Q Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Michaelson wrote:Regards!Q Michaelson
What does the Q stand for, Quasimodo? ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

From another OLD thread, Michaelson said:
I've been a pocket watch collector since I was 9, so I've had a LOT of different watches come in and out of my possession over the years. Regards. Michaelson
After that many years of dealing with watches, I'm sure anyone would be able to spot watch differences between scenes. I think the man knows his stuff, VP. :wink:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Sallah wrote:Yes, I know.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Is the watch from the motorcycle chase something like this?
It was my great grandfathers and It's going to be repaired tomorrow.
-Kim

emaresea
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by emaresea »

The Jean Pierre watch as shown on the Miscellaneous Props page on the main Indygear site seems to be the same as the WW1111GP watch as shown on the AG Thomas web site at http://www.agthomas.co.uk/Watches_JP2000.htm. I did make telephone enquiries (UK) and the lady said that the watch was about GBP 80.00, but I think one might need to add 17.5% VAT and postage on top of that if they will sell to non-commercial customers.

I had considereed buying one but due to some irregularity on other sites couldn't decide if this was the correct watch/image. There seems to be, on another site, which I can't remember the same watch No. but with horizontal bar just below the attachment ring.

Decided on a modern (1944 design) Mondaine Swiss Railways watch in stainless steel instead, because it looks like a bit of fun!

Martin
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

VP, I have to agree with them completely. It's like two different scenes, one where the guy has a beard, the other where he doesn't. If you are familiar with pocket watches, the difference is that obvious. Trust the guys who know their stuff.

(P.S. If you DO find a scene in LC where Connery does NOT have a beard and I missed it, do let me know.)
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Great looking watch K!
Did you get it repaired?

I have looked on ebay in the past for the same watch as Henry had (the one found on the indygear mainpage), but haven't really found anything.
Does anyone know of a place where they sell these?

~Perceval
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

It will be ready in about 3 weeks. It's a retired clockmaker with a lot of old and very special pocket watches in his private collection.

-K
JEEP
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JEEP »

Beautiful watch K - I looking forward to seeing that in person :D

Regards.

Jakob
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Just thought I'd post a picture of the watch found on the main site.
I have included the description by Michaelson..

The Jean Pierre was a Swiss made knock off of an Elgin styled 18 size watch and movement, dated around 1898, and was a very high jeweled movement for it's day--as railroad watches were rated from 19 jewels up to 23.
In the U.S. they had to be U.S. made, so it didn't qualify for U.S. railroad approval. From sources I have spoken to, these Jean Pierre's can still be found in England and most of Europe in many pawn brokerages, and are not really that uncommon in pocket watch collector circles.
There are a lot of old Walthams floating around the pocket watch market that are actually these watches in disguise, sort of like the fake Rolex's of their time, but you were actually getting a fairly decent timepiece when purchasing them for a useable watch. Needless to say, though, that they aren't worth near the price of an original Waltham. They were only being sold with Waltham dials. Michaelson

I checked out ebay the other day for Waltham pocket watches and there is a great selection of them there, unfortunately non that matched Henry's watch. And wow are they expensive! I don't know much about pocket watches, so maybe the prices I saw are normal.

~Perceval
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That's normal. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on which side of the watch ownership issue you find yourself), prices HAVE found legs and are climbing at an astonishing rate for some models.

It's also what the SELLER hopes he'll make on the sale, and many times it's apparent to the collectors these sellers have no clue WHAT they have, or they wouldn't BE asking such stupid prices. Sorry for the strong 'stupid' in that sentence, but anything less would not describe our thoughts on these individuals. The research materials are out there that give honest pricing on these items, and yet they seem to think they should receive the price of a Rolls Royce for the Yugo they have for sale. Heck, why not...they both go down the road and burn gas...so they MUST be worth the same thing. :roll: ](*,)

Keep looking, though, as there ARE honest sellers out there that have these watches for sale, and will only sell them for a modest mark up.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Hmm...does a 109 year old knock off still qualify as a knock off, or as an antique? :-k A knock-tique?

That's a great looking watch, Percevel, regardless - use it in good health! (And I HOPE you have a cord/chain for that! If not, we'll point you at a guy who makes beautiful braided leather ones reminiscent of bullwhips...)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

It has it's place in history, but to collectors, it's STILL a 'knockoff'. There are folks who specialize in collecting Swiss fakes, as there were several variations made, and a point of interest to some collectors.

Most, though, steer clear of them completely, so they're usually fairly inexpensive. Problem is, there are no spare parts for them should they need repairing, and most watch repair folks refuse to bother with them.

Regards! Michaelson
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Indiana Jerry wrote: That's a great looking watch, Percevel, regardless - use it in good health! (And I HOPE you have a cord/chain for that! If not, we'll point you at a guy who makes beautiful braided leather ones reminiscent of bullwhips...)
This is actually just a picture I copied from the indygear mainsite, it's not mine. Although I wish it was! :wink:

Although a "real" one would be great to have, I still wouldn't mind having knockoff. As long as it looks just like Henry's and is still a good quality watch.

I wonder who has the original, screen used watch :-k
Now that would be cool to have!
Maybe it was Sean Connery's own watch, like Indy's pocket knife in Raiders was probably Harrison's.
We may never know... :roll:

~Perceval
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

ooh, you caught me skimming. I thought K had his watch back already...I thought it was funny that it was K's watch, but figured I must have been mistaken and it was yours...duuurrhh...oh, pardon the drool.
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Well it really doesn't matter who's watch it is, with this lot it'll get nicked sooner or later :wink:
-Kim