Mike Murphy Indy Bull

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

ecwhips
Vendor

Mike Murphy Indy Bull

Post by ecwhips »

I was taking a look at Mike Murphy's website tonight, and I see he's updated it. He now offers his own version of the Indy whip that he calls the U.S. pattern whip. Looks nice, as does all of his work! Check it out.
http://www.murphywhips.com/Bullwhips_12 ... attern.htm

Jim
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Wow!!

Ever since Joe Strain has reduced his volume of production, it seems every Aussie is jumping on the bandwagon. The news is breaking soon. I will be writing a review on this void that is being filled by Mark Allen (Western Stage Props) by Joe Strain cutting his production output (~600 Indy style bullwhips). Interesting... We have soooo many choices now!

So far, Bernie, Russel Shultz, and now Mike have entered the market. Geesh! My head is spinning.

-Sergei
p.s. AS you know, Mike Murphy is one of my favorite whip makers. He is so meticulous, like Joe.
Whiper Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Whiper Jones »

Oh my! What a Beauty!
Whipcrack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Whipcrack »

Great whip, thanks for the heads up!

Bill
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

*wolf whistle*

That is a beauty! The thong on that thing looks perfect.

Keep in mind that Aussies tend to make they're bullwhips rather light so I would suggest talking this issue over with Mike before ordering. It's all personal preference but if you prefer a heavier whip then this is something to keep in mind.

-Kyle
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Good point Kyle on the weighting. The only Aussie I know that is not light, but heavy is Bernie (he uses a shot bag). The rest of them tend to make their whips on the light side, with Mike being no exception. But I am sure he can put more weight on, upon request.

-S
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

The weight is all a matter of preference and how it is distributed in the whip. I've tried whips that were very heavy in the handle and light in the thong and you could barely get a crack out of them. I've also tried whips that were extremely light and cracked effortlessly. The weighting on Mike's bullwhips is pretty good if you like the whip to have some weight to it. The last few I've gotten from Mike have had good weight to them, but he'll do whatever you want as long as you let him know about it.

I just ordered one of the US bulls and I'll let you guys know how it is when I get it.

Jim
brady
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by brady »

I ordered a whip from Bernie in Australia and hope that the heavyness doesn't create a problem with me being a newbie cracker in learning the ways of the whip.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

brady wrote:I ordered a whip from Bernie in Australia and hope that the heavyness doesn't create a problem with me being a newbie cracker in learning the ways of the whip.
Naww, you'll be fine. I've cracked a Bernie whip (Sergei's in fact) and it wasn't that heavy.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Yikes! That's one of the nicest looking bull whips that I've seen in a while. I'm thinking....., Cheers
Rick Blaine
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rick Blaine »

That is a beautiful whip. I had the honour of "throwing" some Mike Murphy stockwhips owned by Sebastian of Whip Enthusiasts when I was in Dallas, TX. Those whips sang, as a matter of fact, I have always had trouble with stock whips, the balance, and feel, but that gorgeous pair of Mike Murphy stockwhips that I tried was....... for lack of better words. Breathtaking.

Sincerest Regards.

Blaine
Sergei
Admin Emeritus

Post by Sergei »

Did you forget my "matched" pair of Murphy stock whips? You cracked those a few times. But it's OK, Seb has more celebrity status than Moi. :-(
Rick Blaine
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rick Blaine »

I am sorry Sergei. My mind misplaced that you owned the pair. Perhaps you could show them to me today with Rundquist. It wasn't "celebrity" status, I just failed to remember that you owned a pair as well.