US Wings Sake....no more large sizes

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

US Wings Sake....no more large sizes

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

I just talked to Tina at US Wings and they can't fill my order of two weeks ago because it turns out they have no more size large in anything and very few extra larges. So a lot of folks are going to notified soon that their orders are being cancelled.

Shoot, you woulda thunk that they would have known this when we were ordering these things. Oh well, I really wanted a Wested anyway...KC
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I am sure a med would fit you! my medium fits like a 44 reg.

C3
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

my medium fits like a 44 reg.
I can confirm that also. I also take a 44 and the medium is perfect.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

They are out of mediums, too...KC
Last edited by Kaleponi Craig on Thu May 03, 2007 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Even the smalls are big! I wear a 40 and I'm considering trying to send my jacket back a second time for an extra small! :shock: (I started out with a medium) I love these jackets, but they really need to figure out their sizing...
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Has anyone asked them if they are out of these sizes in the non-sale jackets or just the sale ones? If they had some of the U.S. made ones maybe they'd honor the transactions with one of those or perhap sell one to you for just a little more money? (I know that's not an ideal answer though).

Doug C
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

If anyone needs a "large" G-2, I would gladly sell you my "small" G-2. It really is a great jacket, but their sizing is all over the map. I started off with a medium (I wear a size 40) and it was absolutely huge on me. They were kind enough to allow me to exchange it for a small which I recieved yesterday, but it's STILL too big for me to consider it a 40 (I'd say it's more like a 42-44 and this is a small?!). I called back this morning and they measured out an EXTRA-small which measures up perfectly for me, but sadly, they wouldn't let me exchange a second time, so I'm stuck with this jacket. It's antique lamb, which has a great feel and drape to it, but it still is big on me, so I'll never likely wear it.

I thought this sale was worth a shot, and the quality of the jackets I recieved was fantastic, but until they figure out how to properly size a small, medium, and large, I'm afraid I won't be getting another US Wings. :( I'm jealous for you few who have received well-fitting jackets!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I called back this morning and they measured out an EXTRA-small which measures up perfectly for me, but sadly, they wouldn't let me exchange a second time, so I'm stuck with this jacket.
Always with you it cannot be done. :wink:

Don't give up so quickly, Bink. Give them a call back and don't stop until you have the owner on the phone. I'm sure they'll try to pass you on to a manager or something but just tell them that won't do. I'm sure they'll ask you what it's about but stick to your guns and just tell them you'd rather explain it to the owner of the company and that you'll wait or take a call-back when he has time.

If they can't get their sizing right why does it become your fault? Explain you're a member here and that none of the jackets you've purchased elsewhere have ever had this problem. I'm certain that you can get this taken care of. if they still don't budge just let them know you'll be telling people here on COW and every other jacket associated website NOT to buy USWings and that you'll tell them all why. I don't play these kind of games. Take a lesson from a 10 year customer service veteran. :wink: I hope it works out for you, man.

...won't exchange it again. HA! What kind of service is that?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Well, I assumed she asked David since she left the phone for a moment. Should I try calling again or sending an E-mail? I even said that if this last exchange wouldn't fit, that I'd keep it at that point regardless. I even told them they had good customer service, which so far has seemed pretty good to me...
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

But why would you settle for something you paid for that doesn't fit when you know they have an X-small in stock?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I just e-mailed Sarge, so I'll see what happens. This is what I wrote. I think it sounds reasonable and fair:
Hi again Sarge,

I have a shot in the dark request to ask. Since I wear
a 40 Regaular jacket, I initially ordered a medium US
Wings jacket from the recent clearance sale.
Unfortunately, when it arrived, the jacket was way too
large for me. I called, and the kind woman on the
phone was happy to exchange the jacket for a size
small G-2. Much to my disappointment, when the small
arrived yesterday, it, too, was considerably bigger
than any 40 regular jacket I've tried on. When I
called this morning, someone kindly measured an
EXTRA-small G-2 which actually fit my 40 regular
measurements! However, I was told that the jacket
could not be exchanged a second time.

I like this G-2 jacket a lot. I think it is very well
made and I would be proud to wear it, but if it
doesn't fit me, the chances are it will never leave
the closet.

I know this is a clearance jacket and that you guys
just want to get them out of your warehouse. I realize
that generally you get what you get. But I did my very
best to order a jacket that would actually fit me.
Originally I was recommended a large when I first
placed my order, but felt that I should stick with the
medium. Again, it turns out the small is too big. I
don't want to waste your time, but I also don't want
to spend my money on a jacket (clearance or otherwise)
that doesn't fit. Whenever I've ordered a jacket
elsewhere, I've always gotten a medium which is a
medium. In fact, I have a loved US Wings Cotton Indy
which is labeled a medium and fits me perfectly. I
ordered my recent jacket based off that fit. The small
G-2 I received isn't even close to the fit of that
medium US Wings cotton Indy. My feeling is that the
fit should be pretty spot on the first time if you do
your homework, and I feel I did that when I placed my
very first order.

If there would be any way I could try one last
exchange for an extra small G-2, I would be grateful.
If so, I would keep this last exchange regardless of
fit and would not request another exchange. Promise. I
hate having to ask for an exchange, anyhow, but I
truly want to be a happy and proud US Wings customer.
I want to be one to recommend US Wings above the rest
when fellow freinds and Indy enthusiasts ask what
jacket to buy.

If this is too much to ask, I understand and will keep
the jacket. It just never hurts to ask.

Regards,
scotrace
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scotrace »

Wait, you've had TWO jackets?

You know how you order something, and the anticipations starts, and you do more reading, and plan out in your mind (in this case) how you'll age the jacket a bit, what you can wear it with, think about how the sizing might be, hope the sleeves are right, etc.

Then - "Sorry. No Soup For You!"

It's kind of like your date's dad showing up on the porch before you get kissed!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Scotrace, what size and type jacket did you order. I know how tall you are to me from meeting you at the QM... who knows, if I have to keep it, this small G-2 might actually fit you! :shock: :wink:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You do make all your points, Bink, but a little softer than I would have been. It's much better to tell them what they're going to do instead of asking so nicely. There is no reason they couldn't exchange it to begin with so in my mind they were already playing hardball with you. They take your money and understand full well it doesn't fit, not because of you but because their sizing is askew. I think they should be asking you to return it instead of you begging for it.

I hope it works out. From what several people have said about Sarge, he's a stand-up guy. Usually when you get the owner you get results. Bad press is not a good thing in their business. I know if I were them I'd hate to have my company given a bad name over something so simple that can so easily be avoided. After all, when you get one that fits you'll most likeoly be praising them instead of bashing them. It's up to them.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I figure he's been good to me so far, so I didn't want to get "mean" at this point. If these guys hade been awful from the onset, then I think I'd tone my language differently. But if it doesn't work out, then I'll probably politely mention passing my poor experience on to the boards from there. I figure good service shouldn't hinge on threatening e-mails, rather, let them find out after the fact if it doesn't work out. I have no problem praising good customer service, and no problem sharing the opposite, either. I like to try kindness first, passive-aggressive second. :wink:
scotrace
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scotrace »

I ordered an Indy goat - I don't have an Indy jacket! :(

Part of my job is deciding which customers get slack and which don't. Anyone who comes in telling me what I'm going to do walks out empty handed. A reasonable, friendly approach gets them anything they want. You did well with your note, Bink.

Of course, it helps that the business I run is a monopoly! :)
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Oh, man. It's all so confusing. So I called them back up, they had a medium in a vintage cow A2, so I ordered that. Nothing left in Indy. I just hope it fits. By reading this thread, who knows? I mean, don't companies usually have consistency in their sizes? Makes sense to me. Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see.

I guess we can always put up a jacket on the sales part of the forum either here or on Fedora Lounge. Or just sell it on Ebay, you're sure to get more than $80...KC
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I figure he's been good to me so far, so I didn't want to get "mean" at this point.
Let me make myself clear. I do not in any way mean getting angry or even raising my voice. What I mean is being very direct. They may say, "Weeeeell, that's not our policy", but when talking to the owner, he makes policy.
Part of my job is deciding which customers get slack and which don't. Anyone who comes in telling me what I'm going to do walks out empty handed. A reasonable, friendly approach gets them anything they want.

I mean just use your common sense and do not take no for an answer. I wouldn't walk in and start demanding things as I suppose my post implied. A reasonable, friendly approach by USWings would be to tell him they want a happy customer and already have supported exchanging the jacket, not letting it get to this point.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That's my only real problem with these jackets, KC, is the inconsistent sizing. When I ordered my Wested, I gave my measurements and stated that I also wear a size 40. When I got my jacket, it fit me perfectly. But even though the US Wings is not a custom jacket like the Wested, I still expect that when I tell them I wear a 40, that the jacket I receive will fit as such. Every other 40 or medium jacket I've tried on fits within a certain specific range. Funny thing is that they wanted to send me a large at first, though I said I'd chance the medium. I think I should've chanced the extra-small from the beginning.

When I sent back my first jacket (a medium Indy) and exchanged it for the small G-2, I asked about the roominess of the G-2. I was told that the G-2 was indeed built on the roomy side, which made me feel the small was the perfect choice, but I didn't expect room for the whole family! And the sleeves are still long on me. It's just TOO roomy! I'm starting to wonder if the rule for a good fit should be to order TWO sizes down, but I won't be able to tell that unless I can get the current exchange exchanged. Here's hoping. :?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

agent5 wrote:
I figure he's been good to me so far, so I didn't want to get "mean" at this point.
Let me make myself clear. I do not in any way mean getting angry or even raising my voice. What I mean is being very direct. They may say, "Weeeeell, that's not our policy", but when talking to the owner, he makes policy.
I know what you're saying, '5. And I feel I was pretty direct in my letter. I just approach it a tad differently at first. :wink: We'll see how it all falls out when I get a reply from the Sarge.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Bink - Did you look in the box to see if it came with tentpoles? That would explain a lot about the roominess. (j/k)

Can't wait to hear how the next one comes out...with luck this next jacket will be great, in which case the ill-fitting jacket was required to get you to the GOOD jacket.

J
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That's assuming I can GET a next jacket. I expect I won't see an e-mail reply for a bit yet.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I'm starting to wonder if the rule for a good fit should be to order TWO sizes down, but I won't be able to tell that unless I can get the current exchange exchanged. Here's hoping. :?
That's pretty amazing, Bink, that you are a 40 and would wear an extra small. What does the poor guy who wears a 36 do?? Well, I wear a 42 so we'll just have to see...KC
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

KC, I'd be pretty amazed, too, if it takes an extra small Wings jacket to fit me. I looked on the US Wings site for measurement guidelines, and I can't say any of it really holds true for me at this point. Still waiting to hear from the Sarge...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Keeping my fingers crossed that this one will fit! I just got off the phone with US Wings after noticing that they're now listing online how many of what jackets and in what sizes they have left. It's slim pickings! Since I haven't yet received an e-mail reply from the Sarge, I decided my last chance was to call. Sarge wasn't in, but I talked with a woman there (who by now probably knows who I am :roll: ) and she made a call and said that they'd go ahead and give me this last exchange. They're holding one of the last extra small G-2 antique lamb jackets for me that they'll ship out when my current jacket returns.

They were reluctant to exchange because it was a clearance item, but after pressing the fit issue, they went ahead and agreed to it. I think if it had been a regular purchase as opposed to a clearance buy, things would've been a lot different and they would've exchanged it no problem. I can understand wanting to unload the clearance stuff, but I just want it to fit! I guess I'll know this time next week. :roll:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Sounds good, Bink. They did you right. I hope this one finally works out.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Me, too! Then I can answer PLATON's question by saying if he wears a 40 Wested, then he wears an extra small US Wings. :wink:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

:- (How long did they say to ship it?)

(P.S. This thread name is completely misleading. I've been through it twice and there is NO reference to 'sake' in it anywhere. I was misled!)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Jerry, it was for goodness' sake, really.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

That's funny, I've never tried her sake.
scotrace
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

US WIngs Came Through

Post by scotrace »

I still don't understand how, but I now have my Indy jacket from US Wings in goat, size large.

There are no more to be had, I'm certain. I got lucky somehow.

MANY PLUS POINTS to everyone at USW for coming through for me. I was fine with their level of service before, and now am amazed.

Scott
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Glad you got your jacket, scotrace! I'm curious, though, how does your jacket fit you?
scotrace
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scotrace »

Surprisingly well!
I am 6' 2", 190 pounds. Sleeves are just right, fits around me like a proper A2 should fit, perfect length. The shoulders could be narrower, but that's minor.

Thinking about tugging out all that batting insulation. I blew out a pocket snap the first time I unsnapped it, but there are spares provided and I can get that fixed easily.

It's really a nice jacket.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

scotrace

Yeah, you will want to pull out that batting.... The jacket is much better w/out it!

C3
skbellis
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

the bating (insulation)

Post by skbellis »

I concur. One of the first things I did with my US Wings INdy Horsehide was take apart a small part of the seam of the lining and start yanking out the batting. My trash can looked like a killed a teddy bear...lol. The jacket drapes much better without this.

Also I think that a liberal misting of just water gives the hide a better look. I am not sure what they treat it with, but the plain water makes it look a little more natural.

Cheers,

---Scott
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

For those who have been keeping an eye on my US Wings experience, I just posted it here"

viewtopic.php?p=303641#303641