Adventurebilt Wait Time

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

indy89 wrote:Thanks for the heads-up Michaelson.
Seriously, you'd be amazed how much heat the liners hold in a hat. I keep one unlined for summer wear, and the difference is amazing. If you have one with a plastic cap liner, definitely put it away for cold weather!!

Regards! Michaelson
rcinlv
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by rcinlv »

Of course it can be done.... but after waiting over six months for my new AB, I'm not sure that the first thing I will do is pull the liner out of the hat. So for the summer I will stick with the straws. 8)

RC
Last edited by rcinlv on Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

but after waiting the better part of a year for my new AB,
:shock: If you waited for a better part of a year, you did not get the hat from me!!! I was so shocked by the comment, that I pulled out all 20 old order books and went through each name, when it was ordered and when I shipped. The only RC I saw was from Hong Kong, I took the order in August of last year and shipped in Feb of 07. Hardly the better part of a year. 10 months is the better part of a year.

Now, I know they have been running around 6 months on hats, but that is far from the better part of a year. Give me a break here. The turnaround times are bad enough, and stressful enough already!! I don't need ANYONE to inflate them. :wink: :D Fedora
rcinlv
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Sorry, Steve

Post by rcinlv »

Wasn't meaning to "bust your chops." My point was more that I don't intend to get the hat and immediately begin deconstructing it. If you see previous posts in the thread by me, my point has been that we should all relax, be patient, and let you do your thing, in your own time. That way we can all be assured that we get the best possible product, at an unbelievable price.

OBTW- I'm the RC in Las Vegas

Patiently returning to my desert home,

RC
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

Fedora is not an online retailer. He is a resource, a professional, and most importantly, a friend. He builds hats more to our benefit than his own these days. If one desires an immediate hat, go to a retail site, hit a button, receive it in days, and wear it well. Otherwise, order an AB, take a number, and as soon as it arrives, put in an order for another and lay back. It is actually a nice experience to order something, pay for it, let the financail dust settle, and then when least expected have it arrive. I will expand on this sometime in 'general gear' IRT Randall Knives. (I'm two years into a 3 year waiting list). ((If this does not read well, I apoligize, I've been traveling and am very tired, but still wanted to connect)).
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Seems like a longer wait time makes it easier to save up. ;) Now it's just foregoing one night at the bar per month while I wait, and bingo, it's paid for. :D

Fedora, the wait doesn't concern me for a quality product. Just waiting for the mood to strike me and I'll hit you up for a nice grey to match my changing hair color. ;)
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Fedora, the wait doesn't concern me for a quality product.
The wait will concern you after 28 weeks. :cry:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

I admit you have to know well in advance of need...but if it's still THE ONE, where are you gonna get it faster?

The wait is what it is. Pushing it will not make it happen any sooner, it will only add to the 'cons' column on the darker days when Steve wonders if he should keep making hats or not... :shock:
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Yeah but I'm starting to wonder if I even ordered a AB. The wait kinda screws w/ your mind after awhile. :roll:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

hahaha...got to post it on the fridge...it's real, I can see it!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I have the cashiers check reciept, maybe I shoould post that on my wall and my sanity might come back.
rcinlv
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

!

Post by rcinlv »

Sanity is fleeting, but an AB will last forever...

At least that is what the voices are telling me.

RC
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Yes, but half of them are lying, they are only in your head. You can only trust the ones that aren't your subconscious pulling the double-fakeout on you.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Has anybody got a hold of Mr. Delk lately about the wait?
I PMed him two weeks ago about my order but he sent no reply.
I'm already in my 30th week. :(
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Instead of typing another almost identical post, I am just going to quote myself from another recent thread.
Hang in there guys. With the new movie on the horizon, I am sure that Fedora is busier than a one armed paper hanger.

While this may not be the best time to get an AB as far as turn around time goes, rest assured, once you get it, the wait will have been worth it. I know, this is like telling a kid that he has to wait until Christmas to open a present.

We all have to remember that Fedora is a one man operation (unless you want a Deluxe, and then Marc is a one man operation, too). He works a full day almost every day, and gets these hats made as fast as he can, and still maintain the quality that we all desire.

The bad news is, that from now untill the new movie, I think wait times for an AB are going to increase. I just hope that after the movie opens, that demand doesn't become so great that Fedora decides he can no longer keep pace.

So, my advice is to keep your panty hose on, and rest assured that Fedora is cranking out all of your fedoras as fast as his little hands can, and I wouldn't worry about pestering him for an update. The more time he spends on this computer answering questions, the less time he has to spend out in the shop.

Go Fedora, GO! WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

...and before you ask, yes, I have conversed with fedora within the past couple of days, and yes, he is very busy, and yes, he is working on your hats as fast as humanly possible.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Alright alright, I'll try to be more patient.
I hope I get it before July 1st because I'm going camping in New Mexico on the 1st! :D
Mountaineer Lasher
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Finally back in the States, having taught North Korea a lesson with his bullwhip.

Post by Mountaineer Lasher »

Has anyone heard from Fedora recently? I have sent him a PM and an Email with some questions about ordering a fedora from him and have heard nothing back. Here's what I sent him if someone can help answer a few of the questions:
I had a few questions about the beaver felt F&G fedora.

1.) How long of a wait time am I looking at once I place my order?

2.a.) Is shipping to an overseas military address (APO AP) a problem?

2.b.) If it is not a problem, what would my total cost be: hat + shipping?

3.) Do COW members get a discount?

I've heard you and some others talk about having the plastic liner cap removed (or even the full liner) removed for wear during the summer months.

4.a.) From the sounds of it, you will ship the hat w/o the plastic liner cap, correct?

4.b.) Also, you mention taking out the entire liner makes the hat breathe much better making it cooler to wear. Once the liner is removed, how sturdy is it if I wanted to put it back in for the cooler months (and how do you do it)?

5.) Are your hat sizes American or English? I wear a 7 1/4" military patrol cap and berret, but that's American sizing (or at least that's what the Army tells me).

6.) Will you ship the hat pre-bashed for a certain look? This being my first fedora, I'd hate to screw it up by trying to bash it and doing it incorrectly!

That pretty much takes care of the questions I have for now. I look forward to your reply. Thanks
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Mountaineer Lasher wrote:

I've heard you and some others talk about having the plastic liner cap removed (or even the full liner) removed for wear during the summer months.

4.a.) From the sounds of it, you will ship the hat w/o the plastic liner cap, correct?

4.b.) Also, you mention taking out the entire liner makes the hat breathe much better making it cooler to wear. Once the liner is removed, how sturdy is it if I wanted to put it back in for the cooler months (and how do you do it)?

5.) Are your hat sizes American or English? I wear a 7 1/4" military patrol cap and berret, but that's American sizing (or at least that's what the Army tells me).

6.) Will you ship the hat pre-bashed for a certain look? This being my first fedora, I'd hate to screw it up by trying to bash it and doing it incorrectly!

That pretty much takes care of the questions I have for now. I look forward to your reply. Thanks
I can kinda answer a few questions. You will wait a few months (depending on his current turnaround time and whether the size block for your head is in use) for your hat but it will be worth the wait. Fedora will bash the hat any way you want it. Pick a spot in any of the three movies that you like and he will bash the hat to that scene. That's all I know.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I can answer some of your questions, so I'll give it a shot.

Mountaineer Lasher wrote:Has anyone heard from Fedora recently? I have sent him a PM and an Email with some questions about ordering a fedora from him and have heard nothing back. Here's what I sent him if someone can help answer a few of the questions:

Gettin' longer everyday!

I don't think it is a problem, but maybe someone that knows can chime in on this one.

I would imagine Fedora would let you know if there was any additional charge for shipping when you order.

As far as I know, we still do. It was like $25, but it has been awhile since I ordered my gray AB.

Both of my hats have the original bridal satin liner that doesn't have any plastic. I would imagine you can get it either way.

If you can sew, you can do it. But, I never take my liner out. I like the look of the hat with the liner in, it looks more finished and I never have really noticed it making the hat all that hot. I think the felt is hotter than one little layer of bridal satin.

Sizes are so unstandardized, I am sure that Fedora would prefer that you just measure your head with a tape measure. He told me it was the best way to get a good fit.

Oh, yeah. Just pick out a scene of a movie and tell Fedora that is the way you want your hat to look. Ask, and ye shall receive.

Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

indy89 wrote:Alright alright, I'll try to be more patient.
I hope I get it before July 1st because I'm going camping in New Mexico on the 1st! :D
New Mexico eh? That's my neck of the woods! I'm on week 29. Maybe we will both have our hats by then!....I hope so
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

Hey, guys. I just ordered one from Marc and am VERY eager.

But check this out - I have a friend in Los Angeles who is working on IJ4. He's a sculptor and just got very busy and reclusive but is not saying a word. I DO know though that he is sculpting creatures for it. What kind of creatures I have no idea. If the wait time for an AB goes up and Fedora gets hard to reach that can only be a good sign, no?! Especially if it happens around now I guess.

Unless he's just fishing again.

But believe me, the hat is worth the wait. And if they end up in IJ4 then it is worth even more wait.

(hoping hoping hoping)
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Kaplan wrote:
indy89 wrote:Alright alright, I'll try to be more patient.
New Mexico eh? That's my neck of the woods! I'm on week 29. Maybe we will both have our hats by then!....I hope so
For sure we'll have our hats by then Kaplan, I hope we'll have 'em. :roll:
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

I'm hoping to get it just in time for CIV!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

darthjones,
check this out - I have a friend in Los Angeles who is working on IJ4. He's a sculptor and just got very busy and reclusive but is not saying a word. I DO know though that he is sculpting creatures for it. What kind of creatures I have no idea. If the wait time for an AB goes up and Fedora gets hard to reach that can only be a good sign, no?!
Thats what I would assume. I hope he does.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I think we all have our fingers crossed on that one.
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

I have all my fingers crossed - hard to type!

By the way - concerning CIV, who is going? I'm definitely there. Let me know by PM or otherwise if y'all want to coordinate somewhat.

:)
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I believe it would be easier read as C4, and not the explosive,...that's Celebration 4, the big Star Wars convention being held in L.A. this year.
'Blues
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

So as the original poster of this topic, I'm going on five months and a couple of weeks now.

What is the current wait time for others who have started to receive they're AB's?

I figure it's easier to ask here than pester Fedora, which come to think of it was the whole reason I posted this topic in the first place!
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I'm on nine months. :cry: :lol:
I ordered on Oct. 7.
PaulNYC
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by PaulNYC »

I ordered aroun Nov 10th. I am looking forward to the hat.
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Thanks guys. Maybe someone could chime in who has received their's recently? What's the wait to actually get one?
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Just ordered AB #2. Let the waiting begin.
YEEEEE!! HAWWWWW!!!
\:D/
Indy30
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy30 »

Just ordered AB #2. Let the waiting begin.
YEEEEE!! HAWWWWW!!!
Me too! :D
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Does anyone know if AB is currently offering Rabbit felt? I read an earlier post by Fedora which explicitly stated that he was discontinuing Rabbit felt after he was done with his current batch (enough for 10), and was selling them at 100 each. But on the AB website, Rabbit felts are one of the two options, priced at 175. Anyone?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

The site hasn't been updated in a long time.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Yeah I remember Steve saying that the rabbit hats were turning out great, but that they would be the last rabbit hats to leave his shop.

Oh and to add my wait times. I should have my rabbit AB sometime soon and thanks to Steve dropping that bit of a hint on June 6 I went ahead an ordered a beaver AB which of course will be in the style of the IJ4 hat. So it looks like four days for me now. :D
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Guess I am going to have to get on the AB Wait bandwagon with AB #2 and #3. (And I imagine AB #4 sometime just before the end of the month).
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Jess, do you get that special feeling once a month, too? You know, when you want to buy another AB? :wink:
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

36 hours and counting......... :wink:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

How many more hours until Mrs. Blooze finds out? :shock:
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

:-$
Hopefully she won't notice when I wear it to Talladega in 2008
jkingrph
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkingrph »

Placed my order Nov 20, 06. I thought it would have been here by now!
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Jess, do you get that special feeling once a month, too? You know, when you want to buy another AB? :wink:
You know I do Bink. You can have my wallet now, it's empty!
Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Falcon »

I've been waiting 5 days.

:D Just kidding.

BTW, this is my first post. Greetings to all.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

welcome aboard falcon!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I'm working on an order (kinda) right now! Can't wait to wait! (Euh?)
Indiana Jess wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:Jess, do you get that special feeling once a month, too? You know, when you want to buy another AB? :wink:
You know I do Bink. You can have my wallet now, it's empty!
I bet! :shock:

In Christ,
Shane
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

jkingrph wrote:Placed my order Nov 20, 06. I thought it would have been here by now!
You thought. Ha. I ordered Oct. 7, 06.
Not a single AB insight yet.
Sitting Rabbit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Sitting Rabbit »

Well I ordered mine the last week of May 2007 and I'm going crazy :!: I hope Steve and Marc get the :whip: cracken soon. Sometimes I wish I had never found this site (especially AB). #-o ](*,) All I do is think about them instead of studying like I should be. :-({|= I have to commend all of you for your patience. :clap: :notworthy: I can't imagine having ordered one last year and are still waiting. Your skin has to be crawling :!: :!: :shock: ](*,) I couldn't take the waiting anymore, so I ordered a couple of straw hats for this summer. I'll have to post some pics when I get them.

That is all........
Last edited by Sitting Rabbit on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

You get used to the wait.
"Trust me."
Last edited by indy89 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.