Replacement for goat?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Belloqsi_Blues
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Replacement for goat?

Post by Belloqsi_Blues »

I noticed that Wested is not offering goat anymore. Given everyone's experience here on the board, what is the closest leather that Wested offers currently to goat (similar durability and weight)?

I e-mailed Wested as to when they may be offering goat again, but did not hear a response. Has anyone heard anything? I thought that goat was one of the more popular choices.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I wanted Goat for my custom jacket too, but settled on Horsehide...

I'd recommend that since it is naturally water-resistant (as pointed out quite frequently), and also is tough enough to have been adopted by the military in the past.

However, it does take some wearing to break it in, but I'm told it will eventually drape like no other jacket...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I thought it was a matter of sourcing out a supplier who can provide a good quality goatskin, as opposed to discontinuing it altogether. Can anyone back me up on that? Still, I have a Wested goat which I love, but if I ever get another Wested, I'm going for a horsehide jacket. If you want a jacket that's tough and naturally water-resistant, than you can't go wrong with horse.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, if you wear a size 44, I noticed that Blues had one for sale in the classified section.

Regards! Michaelson
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Well, wested have taken the goat option off their website I think?

I'm glad I got my goatskin jacket already. It's a great hide and it feels quite unique as there aren't many goatskin jackets around to buy here (at least not that I've seen). Most of them seem to be cowhide or lamb.