Eastman A2

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Eastman A2

Post by Jorenz »

With all this talk about A2 leather jackets recently I decided to check out what was available. I really Like Rundquists. The color and the texture is very classic.
But in my search I found this offering from Eastman Leather.

I love the color and I like the fit. I like my jackets close to the body. I got the 80's cut on my wested.
I read up on the jacket and looked at all the pictures they had and thought I'd really like to own this one. But the price blew me away, close to $900. and that's without the shipping.

What do you think about the jacket? Do you think it's worth the price?
Last edited by Jorenz on Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Eastman makes the best WWII repro A-2 if you ask me. There's no comparison with Aero or Real McCoy. To be honest, I 've never handled any of them, that's what I can make out from the photos.

So, Eastman would be the No1 choice. Of course $900 hurts but it's a lifetime jacket, second to none. You 're buying the best there is.

If budget is a problem and you want an A-2 you can consider other choices.

Perhaps someone in here who has handled those jackets can give you a more valuable answer.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

If fit is your main concern (mine is) you can check out the Avirex jacket shown in the thread below (see left jacket).

viewtopic.php?t=21211
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

At that price, it shouldn't just last for ever, it should be good to you in bed!

Regards - CM
Magnum Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum Jones »

Uh No! If I had $900.00 to put into any piece of Indy gear it would be a good whip. Maybe a David Morgan. This would be a nice new thread?
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Hi there - you might want to look in on the Vintage Flight Jacket forum (http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/index.php), there's a wealth of knowledge there about the different types of A2 and the pros and cons of the various manufacturers.

I went for a horsehide A2 from US Authentic a couple of years ago, purely because I wanted the hand warmer and inside pockets added and they were the only reasonably accurate manfacturer who are willing to do things like that. It's a great jacket (although the horsehide is very thick!) and I imagine the standard jacket in goatskin is great for a first go.

I've never seen an Eastman's, but I've got a couple of Aero civilian jackets (the highwayman and barnstormer) and the quality is superb.
emaresea
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by emaresea »

I tried on an Eastman at the shop in the American Air Museum, Duxford. At the time I was looking for a good quality leather jacket and the only decent ones I had found at that time, November 2006, was Eastman. They supply the Imperial War Museum shops.

The jacket was a Steer(cow) hide in Seal Brown as I recall. It was too small for me just: I take a 48 and the largest in stock was a 46.

I was surprised by the lightness of the jacket and the feel. It was stiff without being overly so and felt as though it would loosen up nicely with a bit of wear. it was fairlly close fitting. I was sorely tempted to order one there and then - even to buy this one even though too small. Their quality seemed to me to be very good.

Soon after that I ran into COW whilst searching the web and found Wested and ordered one of their Memphis Belle Jackets in dark brown horsehide, as well as an Indy LC in predistressed cowhide, as their prices are 50% and more less than Eastman or Aero. I like both jackets but prefer the leather of the 'Belle.

I'm sure that Peter could get a Memphis Belle made up with a few modifications: these are what I would ask for if I ever bought another:-

Zip to reach bottom hem of jacket
No press studs at bottom of jacket
No press stud at throat (try and get a proper hook and eye type latch for this)
No hand warmer pockets
No extra elastic inside knitted waist

and for more authenticity

No inside pocket (which I would keep as you can't see it easily)
Reversed zip for you Americans (if that is authentic)

Hope this helps!

MRC
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

PLATON wrote:Eastman makes the best WWII repro A-2 if you ask me. There's no comparison with Aero or Real McCoy.
This statement is blasphemy! :lol: :wink:
As a Flight jacket collector and owner of jackets by Eastman, Aero, Lost Worlds, Real McCoy, flightjacket.com and Buzz Rickson I can assure you that the Aero and McCoy jackets are at least as good as the Eastman A-2s, if not even better. My personal favourites are the Aero Jackets.
Eastman is without any doubts one of the big flightjacket manufacturers besides Aero, Real McCoy and Lost Worlds.
But none of the jacket pics on their websites do them justice. Especially Aero has some bad pics on their site.

It´s impossible to rate a jacket until you wear it, feel the leather and see all the different details personally.
The price of all this high-end flight jacket replicas is about the same level. It´s all about personal taste at last, but you can´t go wrong with any of them.
Last edited by Last Crusader on Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

PLATON wrote:
Eastman makes the best WWII repro A-2 if you ask me. There's no comparison with Aero or Real McCoy.

This statement is blasphemy!
This would be true except for the fact that he said this at the end of
the sentence:
To be honest, I 've never handled any of them, that's what I can make out from the photos.
That pretty much sums it up right there. No person can sum up a jackets
quality without actually seeing it in real life, feeling it, and trying it on.

Thats why we never take what people say to seriously when they have
no experience in the things like that.

"Its better to keep silent, and thought the fool, than to open your mouth
and remove all doubt".

I don't know who said that, but thats my favorite quote of all time!

Flathead
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

All you can honestly say is "It looks really good to me based their photos". Nothing wrong with that.

Aero's prices are a shade more affordable than the Eastman's by about $100. But it's still big bucks!

I find myself thinking eh, that looks ok... than i realise the prices are in pounds NOT dollars! :oops: :cry:

I have my eye on this one from Aero, £300:

raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

famous qoute

Post by raider 57 »

and remove all doubt".

I don't know who said that, but thats my favorite quote of all time!

Flathead[/quote]

Flathead, I'm pretty sure that was Ben Franklin who coined that one.

raider 57
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

_ wrote:
PLATON wrote: There's no comparison with Aero or Real McCoy.
I have to disagree... Select Eastman repros are pretty accurate in appearance, however their leathers are very "vanilla" in comparison to period jackets. Also, their knit is not very durable, and with the possible exception of the waist knits on the M422a they are not very accurate...

Aero is a cut above Eastman IMO. Their leathers are period accurate - including weight and color. Their knits are reprodued on period looms, are accurate in weave and weight and are very durable - just like the originals. My personal favorite is the Bronco - I own 3 flavors (on heavy front qtr HH, one period accurate prewar russet, and one in cape leather (lamb)). I've owned a total of 7 of their jackets - All A2's...

Real McCoy's is really the alpha dog here... I've owned 3 of their A2's and their M422a. Period accurate right down to the n****e on the snaps...

Eastman have really become high-end "mall" jackets... Personally, other than the 1402 Rough Wear, the Cable Raincoat, and actually their house pattern, I wouldn't consider them... BTW - I have owned a total of 9 Eastmans - 7 A2's (Cable, RW 1402, Star, Monarch, House pattern, house pattern/Pearl Harbor) a G1 and an M422a...

A word of advice? You may be able to BS some people on this forum with product knowledge you do not have, but I really would suggest not trying this with the historic flight jacket crowds. They'll rip you a new rectum if you do that on their forums...

At last tally, I've spent a hair over $30,000 on historic flight jacket reproductions over the years. Some I have sold after evaluating to fund further acquisitions (for more evaluations, etc...)... The value of the current crop hanging in my closet comes to just over $14,000... And there are much bigger fish than me... I say this not to say "my dick is bigger than yours", but to illustrate that you need to be able to afford the entrance fee to talk about certain things... Screen grabs and catalog pics and reading what others say and saying it is your own thought will only get you in trouble... Walk the walk and talk the talk...

That’ll wake you up in the morning. Good stuff. :tup:
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Rundquist wrote:
_ wrote:
PLATON wrote: There's no comparison with Aero or Real McCoy.
I have to disagree... Select Eastman repros are pretty accurate in appearance, however their leathers are very "vanilla" in comparison to period jackets. Also, their knit is not very durable, and with the possible exception of the waist knits on the M422a they are not very accurate...

Aero is a cut above Eastman IMO. Their leathers are period accurate - including weight and color. Their knits are reprodued on period looms, are accurate in weave and weight and are very durable - just like the originals. My personal favorite is the Bronco - I own 3 flavors (on heavy front qtr HH, one period accurate prewar russet, and one in cape leather (lamb)). I've owned a total of 7 of their jackets - All A2's...

Real McCoy's is really the alpha dog here... I've owned 3 of their A2's and their M422a. Period accurate right down to the n****e on the snaps...

Eastman have really become high-end "mall" jackets... Personally, other than the 1402 Rough Wear, the Cable Raincoat, and actually their house pattern, I wouldn't consider them... BTW - I have owned a total of 9 Eastmans - 7 A2's (Cable, RW 1402, Star, Monarch, House pattern, house pattern/Pearl Harbor) a G1 and an M422a...

A word of advice? You may be able to BS some people on this forum with product knowledge you do not have, but I really would suggest not trying this with the historic flight jacket crowds. They'll rip you a new rectum if you do that on their forums...

At last tally, I've spent a hair over $30,000 on historic flight jacket reproductions over the years. Some I have sold after evaluating to fund further acquisitions (for more evaluations, etc...)... The value of the current crop hanging in my closet comes to just over $14,000... And there are much bigger fish than me... I say this not to say "my dick is bigger than yours", but to illustrate that you need to be able to afford the entrance fee to talk about certain things... Screen grabs and catalog pics and reading what others say and saying it is your own thought will only get you in trouble... Walk the walk and talk the talk...

That’ll wake you up in the morning. Good stuff. :tup:
I don't know guys, Platon made it pretty clear he was no expert on this topic, I'm not sure there's a need for it to get so personal.

Also, any time someone says something along the lines of:
_ wrote:I say this not to say "my dick is bigger than yours", but...
That is exactly what they're doing. No offense _, your obvious knowledge speaks for itself, but that's how the post comes across in my opinion. :)

Kind Regards All!
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

michaeljcr wrote: I don't know guys, Platon made it pretty clear he was no expert on this topic, I'm not sure there's a need for it to get so personal.

But why even comment if you don’t know anything about the jackets?

Platan said:

"Eastman makes the best WWII repro A-2 if you ask me. There's no comparison with Aero or Real McCoy. To be honest, I 've never handled any of them, that's what I can make out from the photos."

Forums are places to express opinions, but an uninformed opinion is pretty worthless. Forums are also great places to gather information. We should try to keep the spread of false information to a minimum. Cheers
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

Rundquist wrote:
michaeljcr wrote: I don't know guys, Platon made it pretty clear he was no expert on this topic, I'm not sure there's a need for it to get so personal.

But why even comment if you don’t know anything about the jackets?

Platan said:

"Eastman makes the best WWII repro A-2 if you ask me. There's no comparison with Aero or Real McCoy. To be honest, I 've never handled any of them, that's what I can make out from the photos."

Forums are places to express opinions, but an uninformed opinion is pretty worthless. Forums are also great places to gather information. We should try to keep the spread of false information to a minimum. Cheers
Hi Rundquist

I agree with your sentiment 100%, but I just can't see what the big deal was about that post. The guy expressed an opinion, qualified it by saying it was based on photos and suggested others would have more/better info. It may not be a great post, or that helpful, but it's hardly 'false information'.

Anyway, nuff said on my part about that, so this is me offcially getting back on topic!

I like the pictured Eastman, it looks Russet in the picture and I always prefered the seal brown, but it's a nice looking A2.

Here's a picture of my seal brown horsehide US Authentic A2 (complete with deviant pocket additions :D )

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/ ... 000153.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/ ... 000152.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d174/ ... 000151.jpg

One of these days I'm going to get an Aero A2 though, the other jackets I own by them are excellent.

Cheers all!
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: famous qoute

Post by raider 57 »

and remove all doubt".

I'm pretty sure that was Ben Franklin who coined that one.

raider 57[/quote]

Abraham Lincoln.- Aeris Canon
You are correct!! After I posted my geuss , I had second thoughts about it. Thanks, I stand corrected.
raider 57
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Well, _, you do seem to have a "bigger" wallet than most here anyway. ...then again, who knows.

Which forum are you referring to for those of us who want to "walk the walk" and all that stuff.... ;)

I'm not sure which forum I seen this on, but wasn't there a rep here in the USA that helps procure Aero jackets without the customs and shipping costs?

I never really asked here because I understood vintage jackets is not usually what is discussed here in ANY detail, but, only in general terms.
Technonut
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Technonut »

I'm not sure which forum I seen this on, but wasn't there a rep here in the USA that helps procure Aero jackets without the customs and shipping costs?
The rep is:

Mark Moye

AeroLeatherUSA*@*aol.com (remove asterisks)

If you run a search for Aero Leather on that famous auction site by the bay, you can find him... Great guy to deal with.. ;)
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Thank you Technonut for jogging my recollection.

I really need to find a dedicated Mac Bookmark manager that can store more than a few thousand bookmarks from all of my browsers. :)

Actually, I did finally locate a PM from FLATHEAD that provided me with it as well as additional information that I thought I had lost on another computer, so I would also like to thank him as well.

I suppose what is a BIG plus to me (al least from what I understand) is Aero's return policy as compared with Eastman, Lost Worlds and Real McCoys. As such, I'm a bit more inclined to part with some of my $$$ for a historic vinatge jacket.
Bjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bjones »

Yes, Mark is very pleasant to deal with - helps with all details and is very knowledgeable on all the options. He even came halfway on some extra cost for the added inches on my Bootlegger. Not much when you consider the 700-800 price tag, but every bit helps. You can do quite a bit with most of their jackets, too. Most jackets can be made with a variety of leather, you can pick your lining and color hardware.
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

I have to add my 2 cents worth here as I just talked on the phone with Mark yesterday morning. My Aero Real Deal should be on my doorstep early this week. I'm no expert on A-2s, but I know great customer service when I get it and Mark Moye sets the example for all vendors in the excellence dept.
Regarding Eastmans, I've never owned one but I do read others comments who have. One owner said the knit cuffs on his needed replacing after only 3 years of moderate wear, affirming _'s statement about them.
I for one welcome Pattersons evaluations based on his considerable expediture's in collecting A-2s. Frankly, I'd say he's entitled to a few bragging rights with what he's put into the hobby.

fedoralover
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yeah, if I had a question on ANY leather jacket, I would ask _. I stopped looking for A-2s when I bought my Real McCoy. I have worn it religiously for 3 years now, trying to break the horsehide in, and the wool cuffs and bottoms are still in great shape, wear-wise. But, I still have not gotten the horse broke yet.(I even slept in it) I think these jackets are around 1500 bucks now, but not sure. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Which pattern did you end up getting from them anyway
The ROUGH WEAR Clothing Co. 1943 Pattern.

A question. How long does it take for the shiny horsehide to lose its sheen-naturally? I have thought about using alcohol to take some of it off, but with the price of these jackets, I feel a bit idiotic by doing so.

I ended up with the top left insignia too. It is layered leather. Very nice. Also got the name tag, but got it from Flight Suits. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

That's a nice pattern... I ended up using a bit of 70% alcohol on my RM Werber. It had quite a sheen on it, and the less cuastic 70% stuff seemed to do the trick. Up to that point I almost felt it was varnished! I was a bit nervous about it as well, but that is pretty mild stuff. Just used a wetted rag and gave her a complete rubdown. The first time seemed to do nothing. The second broke the surface sheen slightly. I followed that with some lexol and the "suit of armor" look was gone...

Thanks _. I may just give that a try as I am about to put all my leathers away for the Spring. The sheen still bugs me to no end! Yeah, it reminds me of varnish too, and just does not come off by wearing it. Well, not so far anyway. It has been a good jacket to take walks at night with though. When the headlights hit this jacket, it is like a mirror. :lol: Other than that I have been well pleased, and I really love the way they used to cut these A-2s. Very trim fitting. But I guess the pilots did not need extra material catching on stuff in the cockpits back then. And most guys were slim as well, being half starved from the depression. Fedora
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Hey Steve, that is one great looking jacket. I remember when you bought it, sheez has it been 3 years already?

Is the sheen a result of it being chrome tanned? I got a leather sample from Aero on what my Real Deal is like and it has no sheen like you describe and it is veg tanned.

fedoralover
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Hey Steve, that is one great looking jacket. I remember when you bought it, sheez has it been 3 years already?
:lol: Yeah, don't time just fly!! I just finished my 3rd winter with this jacket.
Some of the prewar patterns used analine methods of coloring the hides, but wartime patterns pretty much were sprayed. Some - like Eastman - try to match the pigment optically (and do a decent job) but then go for analine finishing which looks nice but is not accurate (for many patterns)...
Good info _. I really don't know very much about any of the jackets, and that includes the Indy jacket. I rely upon others for my info.

I know when I bought this one, I did a little research, on a site devoted to this sort of thing, the repros, and came away with the idea that I could not go wrong by buying this one. These jackets were supposed to be pretty accurate to the originals and that was enough for me.

What surprised me the most about this horsehide is how it smelled differently from the other leathers I have owned. I think horsehide must have its own peculiar smell. Took a long time to fade away too! Fedora
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

I did alot of reading before I purchased my A-2 and ask a few people on COW. These are some of the links I used:
http://www.anaspides.net/My%20collectio ... ckets.htm http://www.porthalcyon.com/features/200502/a2.shtml
http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/index.shtml
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

If you want a comparison and picture show too, Acme has one: http://www.acmedepot.com/a2jacket/eval_dir.shtml
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

_ wrote:Very good. Tell me something - I've never been able to get Lost Worlds to sell me a jacket. They found out I was affiliated with this site and thought I was going to do a hatchet-job on their jackets - but I hear wonderful things about their quality (though not so much on accuracy)... What did you think of their jackets?
Paul has one. The quality is excellent, but their hides are too thick. I understand that they make every jacket with heavy leather. Plus you better like Dubow’s. Cheers
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Well, you forget that Jorenz who started this thread asked opinions for the Eastman jacket. I gave him my opinion which was based in photos.

As you all know, with online shopping, we are bound to do it based on photos.

What I can see in the photos of Aero jackets is that

1. They can't make the pocket flaps to be the same and symmetrical.
Image(I don't know how you feel about that)
2. The pockets are off center.
3. The storm flap is too narrow.
4. The shoulders are very wide in comparison with Eastman.
5. Their original contract A2 have pockets with squared corners (and I don't like that)

Particularly in the photo below I notice some irregularity/discrepancy in the leather between the left pocket and the storm flap. Correct me if I am wrong.

Eastman on the other side gives photos with details comparing the original and repro and it's all identical.

As far as stitching is concerned I don't have any comments. However, I don't think that with normal wear and use there will be any problems. You won't go to war with the jacket.

I don't pretend to be expert. I just stated my opinion based on photos. As Clint Eastwood said in a movie "Opinions are like a**holes. Everybody's got one". It's unavoidable.

So, that's my personal opinion which I do not try to impose on anyone.

As for _, I welcome this kind of examination as long as the arguments stick to the point and they do not become insulting and personal attacks.

Here's my quote

"I made my mistakes, but in all my years of public life, I have never profited from public service. I've earned every cent. And in all of my years in public life I have never obstructed justice. And I think, too, that I can say that in my years of public life that I welcome this kind of examination because people have got to know whether or not their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook. I've earned everything I've got."

Have a nice day.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I would also like to add that I would base my decision of which jacket to buy, on the design/fit. Otherwise, they are all leather jackets with cargo patch pockets. It's the looks that counts.

_, would you buy a jacket with lousy fit just because they used period accurate leather and the stitching is better?

Perhaps you wouldn't be the right person to answer this question because you have bought every jacket there is and the criteria that you have are different than the average Joe's.

But would the average Joe prefer the period accurate leather and better stitching (how much better can it be) rather than the looks?
Last edited by PLATON on Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

_, if you think that my opinion is wrong, you are more than welcome to say so. I do not claim infallibility. Only God has that.

But there is a distance between stating that my opinion is wrong (for the reasons that you have) and insulting me.

I didn't say that you don't understand the average Joe.
You and I are not average guys. We have our own jacket selection criteria. We can look at the same jacket from different angles and like it or not like it, for reasons that the average Joe can't even imagine.

I do not question your knowledge or what you said about the Aero jackets. But, I think that, likewise, you should respect the fact that what I have presented as disadvantages of the Aero jackets hold true. And this is undeniable (unless you want to argue with the photos).

We both have stated our opinions (and I repeat I respect yours) and those who want to buy those jackets can read and decide what they want to do.

As you said, mission of this site is to present the facts, the pros and cons. And these can be well reflected in the photos as well, not only by handling the item. There is no need to insult me over that.

I do not wish to provoke you or anything, just defending the right that all opinions deserve to be heard and there is no panacea.

With all due respect I salute you and trust you have taken no offense as it is never my intention to offend anyone.
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Particularly in the photo below I notice some irregularity/discrepancy in the leather between the left pocket and the storm flap. Correct me if I am wrong.
I recommend to read the description on the Aero Website. :roll:
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I recommend to read the description on the Aero Website.
Thanks for that. I am now aware of that. I will quote what a friend said in a recent discussion.
One thing about the Aero you posted, it's the same one posted further up the thread, i think it the "real deal" it is made from all parts of the leather and the grain mismatch is "on purpose" they are trying to reproduce a wartime "any leather will do" feel. They also charge a little less for it £300. There was one on ebay over the weekend it went for just under £200.
Thanks but I don't need that much of accuracy.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

This is a friendly discussion and if I think that if I keep replying to you here it might be considered as a fight. I wouldn't want that.

I honestly believe that you have misunderstood me. I see your points and have some questions for you. I kindly invite you to continue this conversation in private to clarify all the misunderstandings.
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

SPR wrote:In regards to what Platon said about the pockets on the Aero jackets not being "symmetrical", the original WWII Aero jacket that I owned was just like that. During the war, they just pumped out jackets and didn't care if the pocket flaps were the same, just as long as they worked. I have owned two other original A-2's of different makes, and they were far from perfect as well. In regards to Eastman, they do a nice job with their jackets. The cut, fit, hardware, leather, are all nice. However, the jackets are somewhat lightweight and not as durable as the other makers. I had a guy tell me at the military show in Louisville Kentucky, that the average lifespan of an Eastman is 7 years. If you wear it everyday. Make whatever you want of that. The stitching of one of my Eastmans broke right after I took it out of the shipping box when it arrived at my door. They use 100% cotton thread, which is authentic, but may not hold up as well.
You mean like this one? This is an original Aero.

fedoralover
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

Here's another with the beacon rust knits. Note the unmatched hide.

fedoralover
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

_ wrote:Looks to be an old Aero if the knits and snaps are an indicator? An is it really goatskin?????
Yup, Mark Moye sent me that last pic to show me that the original Aero's had the unmatched hides and rust colored knits. I always thought it was horse hide though.

I should get my Aero Real Deal today, hopefully. It also has the rust knits. It's supposed to look like this.

fedoralover
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I posted this once on that hat forum a while back. I made a joke about it (I implied that the jacket was ridicules to me) and some people took offense. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder that’s for sure. I can of course appreciate that during the war they got the jackets out anyway they could. I can also appreciate a genuine article’s historical value. Still, I personally would not care to see this reproduced (that’s just my opinion).

This is my idea of A-2 perfection.

Here’s an example of all A-2’s not being created equally. Look at the sleeves on the guy on the right (especially compared to the guys on the left). I’ve heard it said that the prewar jackets were cut bigger than the later jackets. There were also about 50 A-2 manufactures. There’s going to be a lot of variance from that alone.

Cheers
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Returning to the issue of fit, which as I said I can make out only from the photos available, I present you here below a photo of the epaulet of an Aero real deal size 40

See how long? Nice huh? Now compare that with an Eastman Cable Raincoat size 42 epaulet

Now try to imagine how those two will look on your shoulders?
Can picture the fit?

OK, now make your selection.
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

What's the difference in size?
fedoralover
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoralover »

[quote="_"]This is all fedoralover's fault...

I just ordered this from Mark...

[quote]

Yeh sure, blame the other guy, isn't that what all addicts do? LOL.

fedoralover
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Go easy on the boy, FL....that's the excuse he's used to his wife for years....and so far it's worked... :-$ :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Hey _, read your replies you have steam coming from your ears, that Platon really has the KEY to your clock and has wound it right up.
Its like watching dog baiting. Chill man. Relax. Gentleman Jacks all round.
Cheers
Peter
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Listen to the man, _......he has the best drink choice.... :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Actually, we also make A2's here at Wested in fact our first jacket for Harrison Ford was an A2 in Hannover St. and of course Memphis Belle and many other films. Also we used to make them for Aviation Leathercraft years ago.
There is a problem with A2's in as much as the originals were so skinny bodywise with small armpits and narrow sleeves that they were almost uncomfortable to wear a bit like a straight jacket.
We sometimes make it as original when asked but also have a pattern we call A2B which is a much roomier cut more like the Indy Jacket but with A2 features for which we make no claim to authenticity more 'looks like'
I suspect looking at your pics that Eastman, Aero and others have tweaked the original patterns to make them more wearable by adding a little sleeve width and armpit depth.
Just to put more wood on the fire.
Cheers
Peter
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Yes, your right the authentic B3 has only one pocket which is a piece of leather on the slant on one side of the front. THe centre gunners jacket also have patches on the upper arms where the cartridge case crosses.
We also make the Irving jacket on request in two length fighter (spitfire) short and bomber ( lancaster) long.
So you see I do have a little bit of useless knowledge.
Cheers
Peter
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

You are writing t a man who is paper rich, cash poor but happy.
'Better to be rich and healthy than poor and ill' quote Shakespeare's brother Arthur.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

If only I knew how to contact my old college professor I'm sure he'd be overwhelmed at the possibilities of using you as a case study _. It certainly wouldn't pay much, but I think your insights into Darwininian theory I detect in some of your posts would be invaluable to his research. :D

If you haven't already read The Naked Ape or The Human Zoo by Desmond Morris I suggest you may want to consider these two outstanding books on explaining animal-like elements of human behavior.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Now he's whining over on another site that I deactivated his account... I guess I just cannot stomach such a blatant liar... Heck - I cannot deactivate anybody...
Well, my account was miraculously re-activated just when I started "whining" on the other site.

You call me a liar. I had no reason going to the other site if I could write here. As mentioned, it's the same people who read in both sites. I could easily repeat here what I said there.

I really don't understand your hatred. You will not reply to your insulting comments and I will not bore the members any longer with our differences. As I said, we can talk man to man by PM.

Returning to the jackets now, look at this epaulet on an Aero jacket

This one is excellent. Perfect length. It seems it won't go down on the shoulders. That comes from a DRAWING No.30-1415, CONTRACT No.39-1410P Aero jacket which was reviewed by acmedepot site in 2000. The owner of the site Marc D. Weinshenker is a friend and I have consulted him a few times. He is my source of information apart from the photos.

Unfortunately, as far as I know that epaulet cannot be found on any of the jackets currently on sale at Aero.

Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:17 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLATON wrote:
Returning to the issue of fit, which as I said I can make out only from the photos available, I present you here below a photo of the epaulet of an Aero real deal size 40

See how long? Nice huh? Now compare that with an Eastman Cable Raincoat size 42 epaulet

Now try to imagine how those two will look on your shoulders?
Can picture the fit?

OK, now make your selection.

Point number 1: What does the configuration of the epaulet have to do with "fit"?

The lenght of the epaulets i.e. the shoulders determine the fit because if they are too long they alter the jackets falls off your shoulders and has a bad appearance.
If we are returning to “fit” I cannot find it anywhere in this post…
That's because you read only what you write. I will quote the fit part
I would also like to add that I would base my decision of which jacket to buy, on the design/fit. Otherwise, they are all leather jackets with cargo patch pockets. It's the looks that counts.

_, would you buy a jacket with lousy fit just because they used period accurate leather and the stitching is better?

Perhaps you wouldn't be the right person to answer this question because you have bought every jacket there is and the criteria that you have are different than the average Joe's.

But would the average Joe prefer the period accurate leather and better stitching (how much better can it be) rather than the looks?

To continue, that jacket also had rounded pockets (feature I like) and not squared like the ones posted earlier in this thread.

Also the wind flap is 1 1/2 inches as Marc testifies

All the above are thisgs that I like. My objection now is only that the pockets are off-center, which as you have said and it's true, is a historically accurate thing as the manufacturers of those jackets were using the zipper as center of the jacket.

That however, was not the case for every manufacturer and Eastman makes some repros that don't have the pockets off center.

Of course, then there is the dilemma, to buy a jacket with 360 pounds and off center pockets, or pay 450 pounds and get one with evenly placed pockets?

I don't know what to answer to that because it's a matter of personal taste. I will just mention that they are both accurate.

Best regards,
Platon