How tight should a hat fit?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Sheepdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

How tight should a hat fit?

Post by Sheepdog »

I have an Akubra hat. It is a size 58. It leaves a red mark on my forehead almost immediately. I think a 59 would be too loose and would blow off my head in the wind.

How tight is too tight?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If it's leaving a red mark, it's to tight. Bear in mind, you experience a shrinkage of the sweatband with use, so though a 59 would be a bit loose out of the box, in no time after a bit of wear, it would reduce down to comfortable wearing size in very short order. They also include foam tape to put behind the band until it does so.

Sounds like your 58 is to small to me.

Regards! Michaelson
Sheepdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sheepdog »

Thanks Michaelson!

I am going to get an Adventurebilt, but I am about to place an order for a Federation to hold me over until it arrives.

How different are the Federation and the Federation Deluxe. Is the Deluxe worth the extra money?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I think so myself, as the felt is a better quality and softer, but that's just my personal opinion.

They're both great hats. I'm just partial to the Deluxe.

As to ordering, you might want to add in the instructions your exact head measurement, and ask if they'd double check the hat they're going to send to make sure it's your correct size spec.

Regards! Michaelson
Sheepdog
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sheepdog »

Thanks again.

Is there a particular vendor that you would recommend that I order from for a Federation Deluxe?
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products. ... edora+Hats

The Federation line is a Hatsdirect exclusive. They are great to deal with. I have to agree with Michaelson about the Fed Deluxe. If you're shopping for an Akubra, I think the Deluxe is the better option. I've owned one for nearly 4 years and it's held up very well.

-GCR
Dr.Seuss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr.Seuss »

When you "move up" to the 59, try using four pieces of the reducing tape. One piece at the front, one at the back, and then shorter in length pieces at the sides. That configuration provided a better fit than a single long piece.

Of course, there is always the "lampshade trick" for loose hats.

Sincerely,
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I recommend stuffing as much paper towels as possible behind the front of the sweatband, that's what they did while shooting Raiders.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

On how tight a hat should fit, I will tell you what I like personally. When worn an inch above the brows, I want my hat to feel as if it is not on my head. If you can feel the sweat noticably, that usually is a signal to me, a headache is down the road for me. I want just a very, very, very mild snug fit. Now, if the wind picks up, I want the hat to get tighter as I pull it down to the brows, and you should know that you have a hat on at this point, but it should not be tight enough to make you take an aspirin. If it is painful, the hat is ill fitting.

On the Federations, I love both of them. I like the color a bit better on the Deluxe, but to me the regular has a more Indy like felt, and I have reblocked some of those that just more Indy like as they get older. Can't go wrong with either one. Fedora
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

It might help to remove the stainless steel hoop in the edge of the sweat band. Just pry it up at the back of the sweat at the seam and pull it out. It's very easy. First you will see a 1 cm long brass tube the ends go into. -Then it might help to soften the hat up by beating it with a small baseball bat, like GCR did. - You should probably just sell it and get a 59. But if there are wide gaps on the sides on your 58 when you wear it, you might want to keep that one and try the above.