I knew I had it somewhere

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

emaresea
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

I knew I had it somewhere

Post by emaresea »

Since first looking around COW I realised that somewhere I had a Gas Mask Bag somewhere. I knew it was in the garage (junk store) and I thought it was hanging from the roof beams witha sickle inside it. Not there any longer! Had a good look around (well a breif one anyway) and nothing. Found It today! On top of most of the stuff but underbeath a bucket used for storing car wash odds and ends.

I have had this bag since I was 12 or 13 and whilst collecting for a jumble sale (for our US cousins I think you would call it a Rummage Sale) somone gave me a complete set of WWII British Army '37 Webbing, including the Gas Mask Carrier. At various times I used all 3 bags for carrying my books to school: Large back pack, small back pack and Gas Mask Bag. I have also used this bag for carrying my car toolkit. This is the only part of the set I can remember still owning.

It is a bit the worse for wear and as you may be able to see from the photo below (if it works) impregnated with oil and all sorts of crud. It is currently soaking in a hot detergent mix in a large bucket in the shower room!

Wish me luck!

Emaresea

(Martin)
Last edited by emaresea on Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I have to log in to something to see that picture. Try photobucket, maybe? Best of luck with the bag.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Hopefully the soaking you are giving the bag will help it out and you'll be able to mend it and use it again. If not it will still look cool hanging somewhere.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Wow, wee, look at that! Your first piece of "real" gear and you've had it for years!
NRay1
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: Upriver in THE HEART OF DARKNESS, commonly called Southeast Missouri

Post by NRay1 »

Good find! Best of luck on cleaning it up and getting it into better shape!
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

It is a bit the worse for wear and as you may be able to see from the photo below (if it works) impregnated with oil and all sorts of crud. It is currently soaking in a hot detergent mix in a large bucket in the shower room!
This won't work.
Mine was in the same condition after I bought it from a flee market in Athens.

It was the last one they had. I went there after one month and that the shop had closed forverer.

I tried the bucket and detergent myself, but there was only a 5% improvement.

Then I stuffed the bag in the washing machine (by itself) and washed it good. The result was excellent. The bag was clear as new. Great.

Go for the washing machine. Trust me.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

A pre-soak is always a good practice with something this scroungy and heavy.

I've experienced the same thing with heavy Carhartt canvas coats that have become oily and dirty from use in the garage. Straight to the machine and it's clean, but still dingy. Pre-soaked for a few hours then to the washer, 100% improvement.

Regards! Michaelson
emaresea
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by emaresea »

I can only give it a try. I expect the wife will get me to take it to the launderette!!

regards

MRC
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

My first MKVii was grubby but nowhere near as "experienced" as yours. I took the plunge and washed it on hot in a domestic washing machine. Came out fine. A few loose strands of cotton inside but nice and clean. Still using it today. (I don't advise hot... that was just me being reckless, try a more gentle temperature first!)