Magnoli Clothiers... Boots!?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Check out these ToD Aldens.
The heel's falling apart but the rest of it looks decent.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

It's really not. It's not a leather sole. I thought I'd slide around in them too. The only problem is if you are on some slick surface that tread would sink into and help out on. (snow, mud, leafs, wet grass) Smooth concrete, slick tile, marble, etc, are no problem in Aldens. And if those are wet, no tread will help you. I've found the 405's pretty "sticky" on regular wet concrete. I haven't really tried on very smooth wet surfaces though.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

My boots come standard with a steel shank, but can be made without if one would prefer. Likewise, we can use different soles, so if you want something with more tread, contact me to discuss options. More than likely, this would not cost any extra.

The best part about custom boots is that they can be customized. :oops: For example, I'm having a pair made for some out of a dark cordovan leather, with matching coloured toe stitching (instead of white), with one boot larger than the other to accomodate a leg brace. None of this will cost any more than my standard boot.

And Michaelson... if you wait long enough, you might see a pair of these in one of those Big Lots sales. :lol:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indy Magnoli wrote: And Michaelson... if you wait long enough, you might see a pair of these in one of those Big Lots sales. :lol:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Oh SURE....I keep missing the overage sales on the Magnoli Grail Diaries...like I'm going to catch a pair of these boots in MY size at Big Lots this Fall! You know how those 'back to school' shopping moms are at that time of the year! #-o :lol:

High regards! Michaelson
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

You're offering them in cordovan for the same price?!?!?! :shock:

That's a steal! That IS a steal!

Regards,

Marc
Dwighty0815
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Dwighty0815 »

The Aldens are amongst the best boots I've ever owned or seen.
Maybe you're right! I was just referring to the experience a friend of mine made with his Aldens! But perhaps he got a pair of mondays-boots! But I don't know, because unfortunately I don't own a pair of Aldens!

Nevertheless I still wonder which boot is more durable or is the Magnoli Boot as durable as the Aldens?

You're offering them in cordovan for the same price?
Reffering to the clothiers homepage cordovan is just a style of color and the boots are all made of calfskin! Am I right or do we also can choose from different leather sources?
Last edited by Dwighty0815 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Indy Magnoli wrote:My boots come standard with a steel shank, but can be made without if one would prefer.
Gotcha. I forget though (and didn't see it instantly on your site) does the price include shipping, or is that extra? If the shipping is included, it really is an excellent price on a pair of custom tailored shoes! I need to step up my wallet collection. There's so much more to buy! :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Dwighty0815 wrote:
The Aldens are amongst the best boots I've ever owned or seen.
Maybe you're right! I was just referring to the experience a friend of mine made with his Aldens! But perhaps he got a pair of mondays-boots! But I don't know, because unfortunately I don't own a pair of Aldens!

Nevertheless I still wonder which boot is more durable or is the Magnoli Boot as durable as the Aldens?
My guess would be that if Magnoli's shoes are made to be rebuilt like the Aldens, and use the same or similar materials, that they should be pretty durable shoes.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Marc wrote:You're offering them in cordovan for the same price?!?!?! :shock:

That's a steal! That IS a steal!

Regards,

Marc
But these are made on measure Marrrrrrc :P :P
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Let me clarify... cordovan is the colour name I'm using for very dark brown. It is still calf leather, not shell cordovan. Sorry about the mix-up.

As for other materials... how about snakeskin? :shock: :lol:

And, yes, shipping is included in the price... anywhere in the world. Still a steal? ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Would Aldens be the only source for the correct laces? Also (magnoli) I was wondering if you could post some pictures of the other colors in better light (not just the swatch), my monitor just isn't getting a good read from the pics on you webpage. For instance the soles on the darker shoes look much darker than the sole that's on the pictured 'saddle' example. Thanks!

Doug C
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

The other "examples" are just digital mock-ups to give you an idea of what they would look like. Unless specified, the soles would be the same on the dark boots as on the lighter colours.

So far, I've only had "saddle" and "mahogany" boots made. There is a pair of "cordovan" in the works now. I'll post those when they are finished.

I'm working on getting some flat laces, but it's really hard to get them thin, flat and long. Usually boot laces are quite fat. And don't forget... the round laces are screen accurate as well! ;)

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Ah good, the cordovan color was one that I wasn't sure of at all.. I've always heard the word cordovan but didn't really have a clue as to what it looked like. I'm assuming it's like the 'saddle' with several coats of pacards to darken, is that about right? Anyway, the pictures will be great to see once you have them made. Thanks for the reply.

Doug C
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Technically "cordovan" refers to a type of leather (a heavy-duty, long wearing hide from the back end of a horse) but the word has also been used to describe a colour. This is generally a very dark brown that looks black in some lighting. If you simply want a standard dark brown, I'd recommend "chocolate"; it is clearly brown and would never be mistaken for black.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

OK, so I was thinking about the metal shank.. does it add much weight to the boot, 'cause I like the idea of it being as lite-weight as possible. Also, is it the sort of thing I'd even notice as being in the shoe? I'm not sure I understand what "it adds more support" really even means. Now, if it would be really benifitial for foot health in the long run I guess I'd consider it a must have. Any reason not to include it, besides the added weight? Oh and just curious, does that "mult colored/layered" type of sole have a particular name? It reminds me of some of the soles Skechers were putting on their boots a few years back (which I liked)..but then they'd add a big thick industrial lug sole on the very bottom, which I didn't like so much. Are most local cobblers able to reproduce that layered sole when it comes time for a re-sole? Please excuse my ignorance on these subjects.

Doug C
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

When you get them resoled you generally keep the upper part of the sole and replace the bottom piece (depending of course on how much you've worn through). So you'll still maintain that layered look even if your cobbler puts on a different type of sole.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
The real Henry
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The real Henry »

@Indy-Magnoli: Does that mean someone could send his boots to you to let them be resoled? That would be great, because I'm really fed up with the sole of my J.Crew Ruggeds! :?
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

At the moment I am not offering resoling services, nor do I see us doing so in the future. Most cities have a decent resoling service, though perhaps not all the options you'd prefer. I'd recommend looking through your local phone book and call around. You may be surprised at what you find can be done locally.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Will Aldens Co. give you a new set of laces if you ask nicely? I don't really like the puffy, thick, boot laces as much as I do the thinner, shoe-string laces, if you know what I mean.

In Christ,
Shane
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

I believe most Alden retailers can sell you those laces. In any case, I am trying to source a thinner, flat type of lace.

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Just a thought, but I've always thought the laces that come standard with the 405s were too long. I've never been a fan of long, floppy bows on my shoes. While I haven't yet tried looking locallly, if you were able to source flat brown laces that were even just a couple of inches shorter, I'd buy a couple of pairs from you.

Cheers!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

The lenght of the laces needed also depends on how new your boots are I think. (and how tight they close around your foot) The new ones have very wide spacing (about 1") between the sides that lace together, but older ones are pretty tight together. (as seen on screen)
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Sorry I know this is not a "shoe lace" thread but I agree totally with Baggers... I was just thinking to myself the other day while looking through one of these threads, how I love the Alden laces but wished they were 3 or 4 inches shorter. So, just my $.02

Doug C
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Baggers wrote:Just a thought, but I've always thought the laces that come standard with the 405s were too long. I've never been a fan of long, floppy bows on my shoes. While I haven't yet tried looking locallly, if you were able to source flat brown laces that were even just a couple of inches shorter, I'd buy a couple of pairs from you.

Cheers!
They do make shorted laces for the Alden boots. I don't remember the exact length off hand (and I'm not about to unlace my shoe!) but they can be requested.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As I recall, they produce 45" and 54". You just have to ask for one or the other.

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Michaelson wrote:As I recall, they produce 45" and 54". You just have to ask for one or the other.

Regards! Michaelson
And make sure you're not dyslexic! :lol:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

What is the standard size of lace? Do you know? For example, for one who asks for a replacement pair of laces, which length lace would be "standard" for the boots? 45"?

In Christ,
Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I think the longer laces come standard. That's been my experience, anyway.
T.E. Lawrence
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by T.E. Lawrence »

OMG.... I have only heard of your offerings. I have been so overwhelmed with getting Templars finished that I have not been checking in. GREAT STUFF I cannot wait to see some of this stuff hands on. The boots and shirt look wonderful and I really like that you offer so many colors to satisfy everyones preference. Good Form Sir.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Some good news... at the request of several customers, I've sourced a rubber sole with good grip that shouldn't kill the profile of these boots:

As you can see, the main sole only has grip in the center, leaving a flatter profile when viewed from the side. These won't change the price of the boots at all.

I'll be adding this option to my site in the near future, but you can still get this option until then.

Kind regards,
Indy
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

does anybody own a pair of Magnoli's boots and a pair of J.Crew's? Could they compare these two boots if they don't have a pair of Aldens?
Mike Bolton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mike Bolton »

davyjones007 wrote:does anybody own a pair of Magnoli's boots and a pair of J.Crew's? Could they compare these two boots if they don't have a pair of Aldens?
I've had both, the Magnoli boots are much more substantial than the J. Crews. I wouldn't even put them in the same league.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

Thanks Mike, thats what I was wanting to hear. I have been bouncing back n' forth if I really need another pair of boots. Only I don't wear them for Halloween, I like 'em for daily use. Did you get the flat sole? What color did you choose for leather?
Mike Bolton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mike Bolton »

davyjones007 wrote:Thanks Mike, thats what I was wanting to hear. I have been bouncing back n' forth if I really need another pair of boots. Only I don't wear them for Halloween, I like 'em for daily use. Did you get the flat sole? What color did you choose for leather?
I got the flat sole and chocolate brown leather.

davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

those are some fine looking boots. It's nice to see real pics of the items people have ordered. How long did it take to get them and do they feel like other shoes/boots of the same size/leather?
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

Whats the turn around time on any Magnoli boots?
Thanks
Sam
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Normally it's six weeks, but we've had some major restructuring going on, and a couple of mix-ups so some have been waiting longer. Some orders have been filled in as quick as three or four weeks.

Kind regards,
Indy
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Hey golpeo_rapidamente, your avatar is way too big. Please resize it to 100x100 max.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

my computer wont let me
sorry
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

A few people had requested to see these boots without the toe stitching, so here they are. These are made in a "chocolate" calfskin:

Kind regards,
Indy
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Here is a pair we just finished in the "cordovan" colored calfskin. The brightness of the photo makes these look a little lighter than in real life. This is a very dark brown which looks black in some lighting. You'll also notice the darker toe stitching:

Kind regards,
Indy
Perceval
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Perceval »

Very nice looking Indy, great job!!

~Perceval
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Here are a pair of these boots with the tread I posted above:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

more pictures?
West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by West Virginia Jones »

These are the boots I ordered, & if they feel half as good as they look, I may never take them off. Well done, Mr. Magnoli. I can't wait to get these in the mail. Highest Regards.

-West Virginia Jones
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Some more photos for you:

Kind regards,
Indy
West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

=P~

Thank you so much for the pictures. I can't wait to try these on.
fourzerotwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fourzerotwo »

These look fantastic. The link on the original post doesn't seem to be working for me, are these available now via your clothier site?
West Virginia Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

They are available at Magnoli Clothiers.

http://magnolic.ipower.com/catalog/prod ... 51167b0bcb
fourzerotwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fourzerotwo »

West Virginia Jones wrote:They are available at Magnoli Clothiers.

http://magnolic.ipower.com/catalog/prod ... 51167b0bcb
Thank you for the link!