I Visit the Mythbusters shop with my Raiders-ized Bushman

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I Visit the Mythbusters shop with my Raiders-ized Bushman

Post by 3thoubucks »

A co-worker of mine has a second job next door to the Mythbusters warehouse. Adam Savage is wearing a fine Raiders hat in the Bushman. I hope he sees this post if he'd care to modify one for himself. Image Here's the hat nearing completion. Image Here it is colored brown with Sharpie markers (spotty). The vase contains the fuzz generated from sanding the hat thinner (inside and bottom of brim). Image This hat is turned 2 1/4 inches (you can tell by looking at the chinstrap hole). A quarter inch of the front of the crown has been transitioned into brim. the crown pleat is dead center before the hat is turned. The sweat band is out because I think my head is a longer oval than Harrison's, you have to at least partially remove the sweat to transition the crown into brim, and this hat has a smaller opening than the same size Regular Federation. To see a 360 video of this hat on my head, scroll to the bottom of this page. http://www.raidershat.com/Indiana-Jones-Hat.html
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Cool shot! For a second, I didn't realize the glass on the door was reflective, so I thought someone was taking a picture of you from the outside of the building while you were taking a picture of something inside the building! :lol:
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Adam is a member of the RPF, you should post the pics there in their Off Topic Section....he'll reply.
'Blues
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I watched that video. That is the best looking Raiders fedora I have seen. Bar none!!! I think you deserve a pat on the back 3M$. You sure impress me. :tup: Fedora
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

I thought this would make a great Raider's hat when Tone first posted it a while back. I think you did a nice job on it 3Thou, though I think the brim is a good bit too wide for my tastes or screen accuracy. I'm guessing the brown sharpie was about the only way to darken it without soaking the felt in dye, and rendering it a flopmaster. I just hope the color doesn't run on you if it gets wet.

Nice work on it nonetheless. I think it looks closer the a Federation does, when choosing to work with an Akubra as a starting point.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Adam is also registered here.

Regards! Michaelson
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

Thanks guys! I'm soaking more ink in today, and it's not not so spotty looking now, but it's darker. Something that's different from the Fed is the brim. It's much flatter then curls by the edge. I don't know if it's a plus or a minus. Yeah Abner, the brim needs a little more trimming. Image
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Michaelson wrote:Adam is also registered here.

Regards! Michaelson
Very cool, did not know that. :tup:
'Blues
WillieS
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WillieS »

Looks good to me too.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

3thoubucks wrote:Thanks guys! I'm soaking more ink in today, and it's not not so spotty looking now, but it's darker. Something that's different from the Fed is the brim. It's much flatter then curls by the edge. I don't know if it's a plus or a minus. Yeah Abner, the brim needs a little more trimming.
Didn't mean to sound as though I was banging on ya with that comment. I think that looks really good, other than needing a brim trim. 8)
darthjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by darthjones »

WOW!!!!!! I just watched that video too and that hat has an AMAZING shape. Incredible work, dude.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

3thou....nice work on the bash buddy. as posted previously, i too think the brim is a little large as compared to your previous efforts with the federation which i thought was great.

the lighter brown colour looked very nice IMO, though not screen accurate. how come you didn't like it?....that'd be the color of indy's hat after the dust got to it. :)
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I't's too light colored. Like Josh Bernstien's, Zahi Hawass's ... and maybe this one. :wink: Image