NH is the owner of a true TOD film used jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

VP wrote:It was irritating that he first ignored my request even though there were lots of long posts that required tedious scrolling back and forth, and after a bump he tried to claim that it wasn't his fault when it clearly was. And now let's get back on topic, please. :)

You can delete your latest post, BTW.
Maybe you should lighten up. Sounds like you get easily irritated.
I just want to point out that you have no right to be rude to people here VP...or to tell them what to do. Your behavior is getting old IMO ...wanha you might say. :wink:

-Rabittooth
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't like to sugarcoat everything I say. I say how I think, that's all.

Here's a screenshot that shows off the length of the ToD jacket pretty well: http://theraider.net/films/todoom/galle ... ts/160.jpg
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

VP wrote:I'm not trying to be rude, I just don't like to sugarcoat everything I say. I say how I think, that's all.
That explains it then...you just THINK like rude, self-important bossy-type twit. And Heaven forbid you should sugar coat something like that. So you post that way as well. Gotcha. I'm clear on it now. :P
I just don't appreciate it. I think it IS rude and rude is not cool unless your some prepubescent malcontent. There are some great folks here who just want to get involved in talking about a cool hobby. I don't think they should have to tolerate yer guff just because you don't want to sugar coat anything. But...that's just my humble opinion...and with that...I bid you farewell and rejoin my Wife and baby daughter in the real world. :D

-Rabittooth
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Rabittooth wrote:you just THINK like rude, self-important bossy-type twit. - - your some prepubescent malcontent.
You hit the nail on the head. 8) :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

easy boys.....lets play nice now. you guys will stress me out and then i'll have to go get another piece of gear to make me feel better.

now where were we....yes, the length of indy's jacket is bang on to mine as i too have a picture of me riding an elephant with an oriental boy...... :lol:

vp, i think the best scene which shows a good representation of the length of my....er.....indy's jacket is when he's standing in front of the village alter after coming out of the shaman's hut.

"they took the stone from here..."

"was it smooth like a rock from a sacred river? with 3 lines on it representing the 3 levels of the universe...."

...that scene....
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

vp: That large photo I posted didn't mess up the layout. You just needed to scroll a bit to the right to read the whole text. That's no biggie.

Now it was the avatar of davyjones007 that was tottally messing up the layout. It was 10 times bigger than normal.

And I didn't ignore you. I just couldn't correct the size of the photo because I didn't have access to my FTP.

I dont think you were rude.
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

VP wrote:
Rabittooth wrote:you just THINK like rude, self-important bossy-type twit. - - your some prepubescent malcontent.
You hit the nail on the head. 8) :lol:
Proud of that huh?
:lol:

-Rabittooth
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

PLATON wrote:vp: That large photo I posted didn't mess up the layout. You just needed to scroll a bit to the right to read the whole text. That's no biggie.
Not when it's a short thread, but this one had dozens of replies. Annoying at the very least, and prohibited by the forum rules.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Abner1925 wrote:We knew for a fact that Noel Howard had a screened used jacket before you posted this Platon. Not only because he said so, but also because it has been on the Indy gear site for some time (as Indiana G posted as well). You seem intent on discovering things that in many cases, have been documented for years.
Ouch! Abner, that was a bit harsh, don't you think. I'm sure that Platon doesn't do it on purpose. :wink:

For the record, I used to come up with new theories all the time but was always to scared to post them in case someone had already done so before.

Now I have decided to post them anyway, just in case a theory has not been thought of before.
St. Dumas wrote:
Abner1925 wrote:We knew for a fact that Noel Howard had a screened used jacket before you posted this Platon. Not only because he said so, but also because it has been on the Indy gear site for some time (as Indiana G posted as well). You seem intent on discovering things that in many cases, have been documented for years.
Another acceptable response is, "Thanks, Platon". Fact is, other than the occasional walk-on by Peter, or a member posting pics of his new Wested, Platon's theories, screencaps and design comments are the only things keeping this forum fresh.
Very well said, St. Dumas. :clap:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

There are a lot of interesting theories of which Raiders jacket was used in Temple o' Doom. And, I enjoyed reading every one of them.

Something came to mind about what Platon had mentioned earlier about the theory regarding the Terry Leonard / Raiders jacket being used in Temple o' Doom, and, how it is now in the possession of Noel Howard.

I suppose what I'm thinking about is this: If this theory is true, then what jacket did Lee Keppler & _ examine in order to produce the G&B Expedition jacket? In other words, the jacket that these fine gentlemen examined had the name "Terry Leonard" written on the jacket, which was used during the truck scene chase in Raiders. The jacket they carefully measured was certainly not the Noel Howard jacket, but a jacket in a private collector's possession (unknown).

As Platon suggests, Noel Howard's jacket may have been the one used by Terry Leonard in Raiders. Maybe. But then again, maybe not if Terry used only one and it is now in the hands of a private collector (and not Noel Howard).

There are just a lot of "what-if's." One could go so far as to argue...The jacket in the hands of this private collector's possession is indeed the Terry Leonard jacket used in Raiders. Then, used in Temple of Doom as a "beat-up" jacket, which "eventually" was sold to this private collector (unknown) later on down the road. And, of course, Noel Howard has just one of the many Temple o' Doom jackets. It's a question we may never fully learn the answer to...

I'm not taking sides with anybody. This was just a thought that I had and I thought that I would post.
Kind regards,
Captain D
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I suppose what I'm thinking about is this: If this theory is true, then what jacket did Lee Keppler & _ examine in order to produce the G&B Expedition jacket? In other words, the jacket that these fine gentlemen examined had the name "Terry Leonard" written on the jacket, which was used during the truck scene chase in Raiders. The jacket they carefully measured was certainly not the Noel Howard jacket, but a jacket in a private collector's possession (unknown).
This may have been discussed in the past, but please remind us.

1. Did Lee Keppler & _ ever reveal the name of the private collector?
2. For what reason the collector did not want to identify himself?
3. Where did he obtain the jacket from?
4. Did Lee Keppler & _ take photos of that jacket?
5. If they didn't, why?
6. If they weren't allowed to take photos, then how were they allowed to take measurements?
7. Why after taking the measurements they did not hand them to Wested but they went to G&B?

One VERY important point is that the jacket we see Terry Leonard wearing has no relation with the FS. Take the pockets for example.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

1. No, not publically anyways.
2. He had alot of stuff and wanted to remain annonymous.
3. No idea. Auction maybe?
4. Not so far as anyone was told.
5. Because.
6. This is simple. "Sir, you are allowed to measure it, but no photographs."
7. They worked with G&B to make the jacket they sell today. It was because of people on this site that the G&B was even made.

Yes, the jacket we see Leonard wearing in the film was slightly different than the one we see Ford wear to do his stunts. One Indygear mystery that has yet to be solved.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

So, there is no actual proof that this ever happened.
We just take their word for it?

And you didn't exactly answer question 7.
Last edited by PLATON on Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The terms of access to the screen used stunt jacket were that NO photos could be taken...the name of the collector could NOT be given, as they did not want to be barraged by requests of other collectors. The owner (once again as I recall) was a friend of a friend, so that criteria couldn't be pushed. _ was only allowed to take measurements. The jacket was purchased for (I heard) around 5 figures from a well known San Francisco auction house, and due to the price paid, the collector absolutely insisted on privacy, or no access. He made two trips to view the jacket. The first trip he was ONLY allowed to see it behind a glass case. Not a whole lot of help. The second trip, though, through a LOT of deplomacy, he was actually allowed to handle the jacket with gloves. That's when he got to take all the measurements, as he had made up a list of what he needed.

It was (and I guess still is) residing in the Washington State area.

The information was first supplied to Wested (Peter was aware _ was doing this examination, and supplied him with several tips of things to look for to insure this jacket was a real screen used Wested. _ looked where Peter suggested, and found all items Peter told him should be there), then to U. S. Wings. At the time Peter did not want to make any changes to his jacket patterns he was currently making at the time. Wings made several changes to match the stunt jacket, though incorrect to their originally supplied jacket to the Raiders production, they wanted to make up what fans wanted. After several changes, even Wings said 'enough!', so the wanted final outcome was not reached once again.

G&B (Flightsuits) had privately made several jackets Indy jackets for Lee in years past, and when handed these measurements and specifications, they decided to produce the Expedition based on the collector jacket. This was all done because members of Indyfan.com were constantly crying they could not get a jacket that was based on an actual screen jacket. At the time they were looking at blurry screen grabs taken from VHS tapes, and even from those images knew something wasn't quite right with what was available at the time.

Not sure I understand your post, PLATON. Are you suggesting this was all a lie on their part? Considering you weren't even around at the time, or knew what was going on behind the scenes, I'm not sure where you can even make such a veiled accusation, if that's what you're doing. :?

You and I have tussled before over things like this, and I'm personally all for you making your own mark (as I am for all folks to do the same), but in this case you're standing on the shoulders of giants who were trying to obtain the best example of screen used items for us to buy when most of the folks here were still in grade school. They were using their own time and money to get this done with no return (Lee or _ neither one gained a thing in sales on this jacket), but decided to step up to the plate to get something done. This was at a time hardly ANYONE had access to this type of information or items of the actual production. Lee did, and to his HUGE credit, it was MK who finally kicked the door all the way open and we gained access to the actual movie industry folks who were involved in the making of Indy movies. _ was only after the correct jacket specifications, and he worked his connections to get to the stunt jacket.

And as you can see, I did answer number 7. :wink:

Ok, help an old feller off his soapbox. My knees just aren't up to this so early in the morning. :roll: :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Nothing really, just asking if there was a photo...
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

And I am a member of the Baltic Exchange (http://www.balticexchange.com/).
The motto of the exchange is "Our word is our bond".

I perfectly know what it means to trust and to believe in someone's word.

I just asked if that was the case, or there was any photo.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Michaelson, that's great background. Can you drop that nicely detailed story in the FAQ on the main page?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's in the works as we speak. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

The site has been for the last five years, any significant progress?
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The site has been for the last five years, any significant progress?
Ya know, I wonder the same thing every couple of years. So...any significant progress?
Last edited by agent5 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, yes....a HUGE change of plans, and rapid progress as we speak.

Stay tuned. Folks are being contacted.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, in _'s case, it was a Louisville Slugger baseball bat over the head that finally got his attention, but then he's a big guy..... 8)

Regards! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Actually, yes....a HUGE change of plans, and rapid progress as we speak.

Stay tuned. Folks are being contacted.
Good. Very good. Of course, if you need any help writing new material or especially with screen caps, I'd be more than happy to help as I've stated before. I know plenty of people have stepped up over the years and have offered their services to overhaul the main site so I hope you gentlemen are using all of your resources to the best of your ability. I know one of the reasons stated that it took so long was that alot of mod's fell short on time to do the work, which is absolutely understandable. It would help to find people who have not only the time, but the desire.

Hit me up if you need anything and good luck. Can't wait to see it DONE!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You got it, old friend! :D

Regards! Michaelson
justin771
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by justin771 »

Does anyone know the color of the lining in the NH jacket. :wink:
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I tried it on a few years ago and I think the lining was a sort of dull brown. I can't say I was particulary paying attention to the lining though - I was more thrilled that I was wearing a screen used jacket, and the fact that it fit!