My screen accurate wested arrived w/pics! and now distressed

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My screen accurate wested arrived w/pics! and now distressed

Post by Toldog07 »

I asked for agent 5's specs and i got all of them except for the rectangular sliders which i can get somewhere else so no biggie

I also recieved a goat skin jacket that i asked for which was surprising because after peter said there was no more goat skin i emailed gemma and she confirmed that my jacket would not be made with goatskin. here are some pictures...

Last edited by Toldog07 on Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Cool! It seems that jackets are arriving all over the place. :clap:

Jacket looks good, the silver zipper is very nice. Are you sure it is a goatskin... looks really soft, like the lamb?
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

it has a completely different feel than my lambskin jacket, it feels a lot thicker
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Toldog07 wrote:it has a completely different feel than my lambskin jacket, it feels a lot thicker
Cool. Most importantly... does it fit? :)
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

yes..prefectly...the 80's fit really makes a difference and i wouldnt really reccomend it to anyone using the jacket for every day use, but since this is my second wested, which i plan to use for screen accuracy purposes only, i didnt mind. It is much snugger but still fits good...its a perfect match to how snuggly it fits ford in raiders...and i even think they did a good job on the pocket flaps.
Slick
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Slick »

Toldog07,

The jacket looks great!

Slick
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Does it taper towards the waist?

I mean when you wear it (unzipped) does it appear to have a fuller chest while the waist is more trim cut?

It's a question I have about the 80s fit.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Is that lining cotton or silk? And when you asked for Agent 5's specs, did Wested know what you were talking about? I think I have an oppertunity to get another Wested for X-Mas/my birthday but I don't know what I'd do for jacket #2.

:wink:
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

the jacket doesnt taper at all Platon, it looks identical to the fit of the film jacket

As for agent 5's specs, i actually had the specs so i gave them to wested, i dont think they would know what you were talking about if you just asked for agent5's specs.
spiridon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by spiridon »

Great looking jacket Toldog7! Do you mind me asking when you placed your order? I'm just curious as to what the current "turnaround" time is. Even though my HH jacket isn't due for another couple of weeks or so.......I'm already doing the "pee-pee" dance! :lol:
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: My screen accurate wested arrived!!! w/pics!

Post by rbxb »

Where did you get agent 5 specs?
I'm fixing to order a Raiders 80's fit in a 42 reguler
please assist...
Toldog07 wrote:I asked for agent 5's specs and i got all of them except for the rectangular sliders which i can get somewhere else so no biggie

I also recieved a goat skin jacket that i asked for which was surprising because after peter said there was no more goat skin i emailed gemma and she confirmed that my jacket would not be made with goatskin. here are some pictures...

Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

Heres the jacket after some distressing...

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

You call that "some"?
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

jacket

Post by rbxb »

What size is that jacket
What are the arm measurements at the wrist & elbow?
What are your methods of distressing?
Those appear to be the larger pockets. Can you measure?

Thanks
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Though rather much, it does look accurate to some of the distressing I've just been looking at on the Lucas Archive DVD. (probably Last Crusade jackets though)
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Cool pics! They kinda remind of of the way Indy's jacket looked in Temple o' Doom. Thanx for posting!

IndyDoc: what pics do you have there? I'd love to see the ones you are looking at. Are you able to post them here or provide the link so that I may view them?

Thank you!
Captain D
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

The one at the far end (or couple on that end) are majorly distressed.

What that's a closer view of.
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: jacket

Post by Toldog07 »

rbxb wrote:What size is that jacket
What are the arm measurements at the wrist & elbow?
What are your methods of distressing?
Those appear to be the larger pockets. Can you measure?

Thanks
The pockets are the size listed in agent5's specs, not large ones. the sleeve lenght is 26 inches because i have long arms.

To distress, i first soaked the jacket like a tea bag in a tub full of cold water. This took out all the dye but made the jacket very stiff. After it dried, i applied pecards to the whole jacket and wore it so that it would loosen up.

After it was dry, i used the sand paper that is used for a belt sander (i didnt actually use the belt sander, i just took off the sand paper). It distressed the jacket nicely and i never had to use any oils. It does look ToD or LC-ish so im going to apply some pecards to darken it up a little bit to give it more of a raiders look.
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thank you IndyDoc for posting! Ahhh, I would love to jump in there and start checkin' em' out, lol, :lol: .

Toldog07: Jacket looks great; any new pix as you go along, we'd love to see em'!

Kind regards,
Captain D
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Toldog,

First of all, kudos to you for having the cojones to distress your jacket. It took a lot for me to do the same thing when I first distressed my old Wested, so I know how you feel. As for the distressing itself, I think that it's just a tad overdone, and could use some brown Pecards leather dressing to touch it up.
On my first distressing job, I went overboard also, and some brown Pecards pretty much saved the jacket. The only problem I have with your distressing is that it looks too even, to artificial. The pecards will help touch this up and give the jacket a lot of its color back, as well as making the distressing look a little more natural, and less even.

Hope that helps.
RichardSK
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RichardSK »

I am curious as to how recently you had your jacket made. I requested the nickle zipper but received brass instead. I was about to have a custom zipper made but if one is available from Wested, I will order from them and have mine replaced.
Also, if Agents' specs are so hard to find for the Raiders jacket, I have them and will post them as they are what I used for my own jacket.
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

i ordered the jacket towards the end of november i think, and i got it in december before christmas. I applied some pecards to the jacket because i thought it was a little too distressed...i will be posting pictures soon
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Can you please post some close-up photo of how the zipper looks? (I am particularly interested in the bottom part unzipped).

thanks
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

RichardSK wrote:I requested the nickle zipper but received brass instead.
Yeah, me too. that's the one thing I really would like changed on my jacket.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I've had the nickle zips, and they just weren't all that robust to suit me. I went back to the antique brass myself.

Regards! Michaelson
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested Quality control

Post by rbxb »

In the last two weeks ( since I placed my order for my new Wested)
I'm seeing a lot of us recieve incorrect jackets ..The worst case is one Gearhead got his Wested with an exposed "snap" under the Zipper ( not requested)
Needless to say. I'll be glad when mine gets here & I hope it's done correctly.
I dont wanna spend the next 6 mos shipping it back & fro across the pond to get it right.....
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Wested Quality control

Post by Michaelson »

rbxb wrote:Needless to say. I'll be glad when mine gets here & I hope it's done correctly.
I dont wanna spend the next 6 mos shipping it back & fro across the pond to get it right.....
Unfortunately, this has been a common thread throughout some of the more recent jackets received from Wested. Not sure why this is occuring either..... :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

Heres some new pics of the jacket after some pecards...does it look more raiders-ish?

and one for PLATON...

Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Looks very good! I will never be so brave!! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I had to chuckle after I saw your photos, but not in a bad way.

Your distressed jacket now looks EXACTLY like my pre-distressed U. S. Wings cowhide AFTER an application of Pecards, so we came from two different directions for exactly the same results, though in your case you were removing surface, and I was trying to put it back. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

The jacket looks great! Nice job distressing!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Unfortunately, this has been a common thread throughout some of the more recent jackets received from Wested.
By recent you mean the last 8 or more years, right? :lol:

I am still so very stumped by this as well. Here's why.

We all have to have some sort of sheet filed out with the specs we want, either on-line, one sent in person or one filled out by someone at Wested by phone.

They have a copy of every modification we ask for so how is it that they can get it wrong reading it from the sheet? Now, if they did for some reason screw up on something off the sheet, once the jacket is done why don't they then check it against the sheet to make sure all was done correctly?

Are they doing some serious multi-taking and making 10 jackets at a time? What could be the reason SO many of us seem to get just one or maybe 2 small things wrong when we get it?

Don't they see that when someone asks for rectangular sliders in black that they're putting on brass d-rings? Don't they see when someone asks for a nickel zip that they're installing a brass one? If they're out of any item that's on a persons list I would think they should be at the very least, e-mailing customers to let them know that a mod which was asked for cannot be done if they are out of material to make it. Instead they seem to put on the next best thing and just ship it out, only to have a good chance that they'll be picking up shipping back and again from England to fix something small that they could have taken care of the first time. Bottom line is Wested is losing money and they don't have to.

I've mentioned this time and time again and even when Peter will personally respond to posts like this he seems to just beat around the bush instead of addressing the obviously on-going problem.

If my memory serves me right, none of the other jacket vendors (FS or Wings) has ever had problems like this. I just can't figure why Wested can't follow suit...unless they just aren't interested in doing so, which seems the case.

PLEASE don't get me wrong here. I LOVE WESTED. It is my favorite and ONLY jacket. I don't personally like ot want any other jacket. However, only 1 of 5 of my Westeds were correct to what I oredered. There was always just one thing off or more. I also have never had a personal problem with Peter or anyone there as they've always been nothing but gracious and polite with me personally.

I know they must pull their hair out at all the mods they do, but there just HAS TO BE a way for them to pull it together and start getting these orders out as they are on paper.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

This is what I was afraid of. The bottom part of the zipper is plastic!!!

Really, can't they get a better (all metal) zipper?
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

This #### is just why iam hessistant to order a westeds Jacket ,
WHy the **** do they give the option for specs

If so just say , No we dont do specs , this is the raiders jacket as we sell it , be happy with it.

This is just #### , this isnt right against the customer.

I mean at least give a notice...
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I just want to add that PETER, if you read this, please don't take it as a stab in the back, but please see it from the customers point of view that for a long time we've been seeing small mishaps on the jackets being delivered to us and to those of us overseas it becomes a big deal to have to send it back. More time, more money, the wait, etc.

Isn't there a way to get this internal problem fixed once and for all? Would it be too hard to check all orders against the order sheets before they go out to avoid stress, both mental and monetary on any party at a later date?

Wested has always been very (VERY) patient, good to us professionally and most important, personally. I feel they are a part of our community, not just a vendor and I also feel they must feel the same. I just feel very strongly that if Wested would address this it would not only be good for all of us gearheads, but for Wested above all. Less work and more money. I think it's a winner of an idea.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested Indy

Post by rbxb »

Great looking Jacket!
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Toldog07, is the zipper made by YKK like their brass zippers?
I wonder why Wested not uses Talon Zippers. They are all available in 100% metal and are the best zippers on the merket IMO. And Indy-period accurate! :wink:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

AFAIK the silver coloured zippers are swiss RIRI zippers also very highly regarded.
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

Yes it is a RIRI zipper...i never heard of the brand but i have had no problems with the zipper at all..the bottom is plastic as PLATON pointed out but that doesnt really bother me.

agent5...wested did send me the sliders (not sure why they just couldnt put them on in the first place) and it did only take me about 10 minutes to put them on and remove the d rings. The jacket looks exactly how i want it and i just go my new AB in the mail from steve...perfect timing :D
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Can you please post a close-up photo of the label?
(Just wanna check out something)
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

What a nice jacket, it´s look now is close to mine LC Wested I distressed. Looks natural and not rummy, as it does sometimes after overdistressing. Well done guy :wink:
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Nice looking Jacket,

Only gripe is that the pockets still look too large. They have a long, rectangular shape which I just don't see in the movie. I know you've used Agent 5's specs (where do they come from, by the way?) but maybe these are not quite right. Also, I think the pocket flap is too narrow. Perhaps they should be 3.5 inches, rather than the (almost) three inches they generally come at.

Cheers
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Well, I said it once and will say it again. Nobody can get the pocket flap right. Except Todd these days....
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

And you know what I don't get Platon? Of all the things to try and get right - the pocket would surely have to be the easiest. Straps and pleats and buckles are subtle and harder to see properly on screen. But those #### pockets are so obvious, I don't understand why almost no one can get them right.

Shortly after getting my Wested LC jacket, I was watching LC with a friend. Now, he isn't interested in the jacket design or any of this stuff, but he took one look at mine and said "the pockets are wrong. I thought you said this guy had the original patterns?"

A little something inside me died...
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Yeah I know the feeling. We have spent countless hours in here examining and reviewing and studying all the details, and then you get a comment like this from some who sees the jacket for the first time.

For me the scalloped pocket is what adds character to the jacket. The more scalloped the more wild and mean looks the jacket.

My explanation why they can't get it right is that they just don't care. Look at those ugly flaps below.

Terrible. Absolutely no relation to the real thing.

Man, they can't even get the flap right on the pants (that was one of the reasons why I became a pants vendor).

But there is worse. Some A2 jacket makers can't make them symmetrical.

Back on the Indy pocket flap, I think Todd is making a good job (but the pockets are small) and FS is OK (but I don't like their jacket overall).

So, here'w my last chance. I will send a template cut on carton to Wested to show I want the pocket flap to be, and if they fail me again this time, I will not return the jacket to them, I will take a jerry can full of gas and will start a big fire and burn all my wested jackets...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

PLATON wrote:....... and if they fail me again this time, I will not return the jacket to them, I will take a jerry can full of gas and will start a big fire and burn all my wested jackets...
Uh, let's not go overboard here. If they bother you THAT much, I'll send you my mailing address and you can mail them all to me. That way you feel better, and everyone will be much happier. 8) :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah.....I'll help you burn them....yeah, that's it..8-[..send them to me. :D :-
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I wear 40R they fit you?
I never can find a 40 on ebay.
They always have 42s.

I heard a story from Indiana Ken I think that he put a 42 in the washing machine and it shrank to 40. Is it true?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Hummm. 40R. I haven't seen that size since I was in high school! :shock: Good reason to lose some weight! :lol:

Yep, I heard that one too, PLATON. Not sure it really happened, but you're not the only one who remembers that story. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yep that's what I ware. :D (I bet the arms would be too short though)