Who makes the best shirt for the $

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Who makes the best shirt for the $

Post by coronado3 »

I am interested in getting an Indy shirt and would like to know from those of you who have various shirts from different makers which are your favorites.

For a accurate shirt, I am looking at Magnoli, Wested, and Noel Howard. Which is your fav?

For a close enough, I am considering Cabelas, Orvis, Bean and forever21
Which is your fav?

I ahve heard that the WPG shirt is cut strangely, so I am not considering it...

I am looking for a somewhat (or completely)accurate looking shirt that is comfortable for field use.

Thanks!

Coronado3
Last edited by coronado3 on Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

for close enoughs, my favourate is banana republic's millitary shirt. there's no front pleats but i think the color and weight are pretty bang on. i like the forever 21 shirts that PH posted but i think i've got enough close-enoughs for now.

i have several magnoli's shirts and they are awesome because of the fact that they are made to measure. IM's shirts are very well made and a great price for made to measure. i do find the color a little lighter than whats on screen and the material is just a hair more robust than the film shirt.

i also have an NH shirt which is my favourate but its pricey. the NH shirt is not made to measure but the fit/cut is definitely the same as on screen. i have yet to wear this regularly.....waiting for a good day to wear all of the authentic gear :D

i haven't had a chance to try wested yet but i've heard alot of great things about it.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I own the 2 Cabelas and a Magnoli - I won't compare them to other shirts because I don't own any others (a NH, or Wested for example) but I will review them briefly for you.

The Magnoli shirt is very very comfortable, and as I understand it, has grown more accurate since I bought mine last year. The sizing is custom and so you can be sure it'll fit however you want it - be it tight or loose, or even in between. The colors are nice, and you can just about choose between screen accuracy and film accuracy (the diff. between what you see, and what he actually wore). I love this shirt.

I find that the Cabela's shirt is a little irritating to the skin when you wear it (similar but different to this thread). It's pretty warm, not breathing easily, so if you're in a colder location (I didn't look at yours before replying) it'll be good for you. Not totally accurate as it lacks the vertical pleats in front, but the color is alright.

Hope this helps!

In Christ,
Shane
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

For a ver accurate shirt, I am leaning towards the Magnoli or the Wested. The Howard is priced too high for me!~

From what I hear, the cabelas shirt is not extremely comfortable. The close enough from orvis is priced about the same as the Magnoli so i'd probably eliminate both of them them as well!

Coronado
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

The Forever 21 shirt is as close as your going to get to any of the replica shirts like the Wested, NH or Magnoli. The shirt is light, it's very comfortable, it has the pleats down the front along with the epaulettes that run across the shoulders and the cut is slim so it's not "baggy" in the waist.

Total cost after 5 day shipping for the shirt will run you about $27. The cream color (which looks white) is the only thing I can see people kind of turning their nose up at. We all know from the Wested and NH shirts that Indy's shirt was not really white, but.......If your like me and that's not an issue and you don't have the funds to spend on one of the big three then this is the shirt for you. You can also "dye" the shirt as well IF you really don't want plain white.

I own a lot of "close-enough" shirts including the Cabelas and I really didn't need another shirt but this was to good to pass up and I'm happy I have it.
ArtooMetoo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ArtooMetoo »

Pitfall Harry,

What's the sleeve length like on the forever 21 shirt?

I normally wear a Large Tall, and if there's a particular shirt I like that is not available as a Tall, I usually end up going around with my sleeves rolled up all the time :(
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I wear a large and it looks like they're between 25 and 26 inches. They used to offer small, medium and large......I don't know if they ever offered extra-large. Right now though they only have medium and large.

I mentioned this in another topic but I wanted to let people know in here as well. I you buy the shirt let it dry on a hanger after you wash it. The directions say you can "tumble dry" it but I have a feeling it would shrink.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I have to throw down with the Beans shirts because they were my first.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Where did this Forever 21 shirt come from?!? This is the first I've heard of it, lol. Anybody got a link? As for a close-enough shirt, I've got a Cabella's shirt (which I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to finish the pleats down the front) and I also really like the Old Navy shirt that has been mentioned in passing here for a while. The Old Navy shirt is extreamly comfortable and affordable. It also a has the pleats down the front---very Indy inspired---albeit they're thin pleats. When you throw an Indy jacket on (whether it be a Wested or Todd's or whatever) over the shirt, you hardly notice the subtle differences.

:wink:
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Here's the link to Forever 21. http://www.forever21.com/mens/product.a ... 945&Page=1

The first I heard of this shirt was in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=20610&sid=96e3095fd146c ... 80e72aeb6b

I saw the forever 21 shirt, it looked good, was in my price range, plus Pitfall Harry gave it a good review, so I bought one last night. $27.55 for the shirt/tax/cheapest shipment. I've been in the market for a new Indy shirt, but can't afford a Wested/Magnoli/NH right now, so this was a great find for me!
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I am really leaning towards Magnoli's shirt. Who has one that can tell me about the fit (baggy? trim ? etc) The color (he has several choices) construction (reinforced stitching? - good for field use or just a costume shirt?) and other details about this shirt.

His price is good considering shipping is included.

Also, what can those of you who own the Bean shirt tell me? The color on the website appears like a tanish kahki. Are they as dark as they appear on the site?

Thanks!
Coronado
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

If by the Bean shirt you mean the L.L. Bean shirt (which I think you do) I have one. It is as dark as it looks. It fits me fine uptop, but is a bit big in the stomach area. Also the last button to button on my shirt is a bit high, and is located just above belt level and I have to say that is the one thing that keeps me from wearing the shirt more. I also think the shirt is a bit stiff and not the most comfortable shirt to wear without an undershirt, I find it chaffs some. I think the buttons on it are nice, and it has a good look, but for the price you spend on it I would advise spending the extra money and get a Magnoli or wested.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Thanks Kev! That is the kind of info I was looking for. LL Bean is out.

Now I guess I will wait until Pitfall recieves his cream F21 shirt and tells us about the color!

Coronado
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I thought I'd post this here just to kind of give people an idea of what the F21 shirt looks like. It's kind of hard to see some of the details because of the lighting and the dark color. This is was the first shirt I ordered from them back before X-Mas. It's the Khaki color that they offer.

As you can see this particular color is to dark to be used with your gear and that's why I went back and ordered the cream. I was going to order the cream the first time around but I decided to try the Khaki in the hope that it wouldn't be as dark in person and it would come out looking more like the color of Indy's shirt when it's not in the direct light. Unfortunately this had to be the first shirt I ordered online that came out looking exactly like it did on the website! :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Pitfall Harry on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

The LL Bean shirts are on sale for about $45.00 usd.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

That LL Bean shirt looks a lot like the Cabelas shirt as far as the cut, pockets and epaulettes go. Their Khaki is a little to off for me. Of course it's a lot lighter than the F21 Khaki shirt I currently own.

Once I get the cream F21 shirt I'll post better pics. That way you guys can get a better look at the pleats, epaulettes and cut.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Pitfall

In what size did you buy your 21 shirt ?

Coronado
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I bought the large in both the Khaki and the Cream shirts. :)
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Hey Cornado, I have the following shirts.
Wested, WPG, NH, and for my close enough I have the LLBean and a couple of old stone colored shirts of un-known mfg.

Wested: Nice shirt and comfortable, for me its a little tight in the shoulder, but this could be due to me not Peter. But a very comfortable and pertty dang screen acurate. But since theres no way to give measuremnts to Wested for sizing, you take your chance on fit.

WPG: A nice close enough, a heavier weight shirt, kind of like a military feel to it. And yes the cut is more for giving at the waist. But for my physic, it works. I like this shirt.

Noel Howard (NH): Words escape me. A light weight feeling shirt, almost feels like its not there. As far as screen acurate, well he did make them for the movies. I have the ROTLA version and I love it. I wera it sparingly.

LLBean: well it has the shoulder tabs, is a stone like color and is comfortable and rugged. Like this one.

So get your self a close enough for know and save up for a Indy Magnoli shirt, then save for a Westeded and then a Noel Howard and then, and then........... wear was I going with this oh, yea. :lol:
You can never have enough shirts.

Croft
Last edited by Indiana Croft on Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

Noel Howard - best shirt (but you already knew that) It is expensive though, so on to the most for the money categories.

Wested - softer than Magnoli
Magnoli - a little too dressy looking for my tastes
Forever 21 - Custom Dye the creme color and you have an inexpensive winner
LL Bean - Nice shirt, color is a little too green to be accurate
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I'll probably stick with the original color on the F21 "cream" shirt even if it turns out to be a basic white. I bought another "close-enough" shirt a while back and dyed it. It was a regular white that I changed to an "off white". It looked fine at first but after a few washings the shirt has kind of turned grayish.

If it's white it's white. I'm more concerned about the cut, pleats , pockets and epaulettes looking right. Which I know from owning the Khaki one are as close as your going to get without buying one of the "Big 3".
ArtooMetoo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ArtooMetoo »

Can someone post a link the the LL Bean shirt? Or at least the name LL Bean calls it so I can search for it?
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

It's thier Cotton Poplin Field Shirt. Here's the Men's and here's the Women's

- I.C.
ArtooMetoo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by ArtooMetoo »

Perfect. Thanks, IC.
Dre
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dre »

Are there any alternatives that are sold within Australia? The bad thing about buying overseas is that postage is often as much as the item you're buying.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Who makes the best shirt for the $

Post by Erri »

coronado3 wrote: For a accurate shirt, I am looking at Magnoli, Wested, and Noel Howard. Which is your fav?
no doubt... NOEL!!!
I am looking for a somewhat (or completely)accurate looking shirt that is comfortable for field use.
NH is a very light and comfortable shirt (if you're not scared of damaging it... I never wear it when I eat for example... I don't even want to know if red tomato sauce can be cleaned off the shirt) :lol:

I leave some reference pictures for you
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... 217d01.jpg
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... 0b5f70.jpg
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... mirror.jpg
:wink:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Ok, here's the F21 "cream"colored shirt. The shirt below it in two of the pics is just your basic white color.

I know the Wested, Magnoli and NH are the correct color of what the shirt actually looked liked in real life but from my point of view Indy's shirt appeared white / off white / dirty white for most of the film. I think you can notice a bigger difference in scenes from TOD where the shirt actually appears it's normal color.

For this being an "off the rack" shirt it's pretty darn close. I can't think of any other shirt "off the rack" that I've seen this close. For $27 it's a steal as well.
Last edited by Pitfall Harry on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
matt1466
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by matt1466 »

Hey Harry,

How's the fit of this shirt? I know it's advertised as a fitted or slim fit shirt but wondered if I could get by with a size Large instead the usual Large Long.

Thanks.

Matt
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

matt1466 wrote:Hey Harry,

How's the fit of this shirt? I know it's advertised as a fitted or slim fit shirt but wondered if I could get by with a size Large instead the usual Large Long.

Thanks.

Matt

Yikes, I don't know if you could or not. I've never heard of a large long. I'm assuming it's for tall people, correct? :shock:

I'm 6'1 and there isn't a lot of material at the bottom to tuck in but there's enough that when I bend over the shirt doesn't pop out.

The only thing I can really suggest is to order it in the large and if it doesn't fit send it back. I know it's a pain but that's the only way your really ever going to know.

Unfortunately the choice in sizes for this particular shirt are very limited at the moment. That kind of has me thinking they're going to get rid of it soon or something.

My local F21 store does not carry this shirt. For some reason it's only available through the website.
matt1466
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by matt1466 »

Thanks Harry. That's what I was afraid of, the lenght. I have long arms and upper torso and most shirts are too short. There are three Forever 21 stores near the office and none of them have this shirt either. I don't think I'll order one, just save the pennies until I have enough for a Wested or NH.

Thanks for all the help. It saved me a lot of trouble.

Matt

BTW, Old Navy and Gap both carry "close enough" shirts but the Old Navy shirts have the wrong color stitching and the the Gap military shirt, though close, costs $49.50. I'd rather spend my money on more accurate stuff.

Matt
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

matt1466 wrote:Thanks Harry. That's what I was afraid of, the lenght. I have long arms and upper torso and most shirts are too short. There are three Forever 21 stores near the office and none of them have this shirt either. I don't think I'll order one, just save the pennies until I have enough for a Wested or NH.

Thanks for all the help. It saved me a lot of trouble.

Matt

BTW, Old Navy and Gap both carry "close enough" shirts but the Old Navy shirts have the wrong color stitching and the the Gap military shirt, though close, costs $49.50. I'd rather spend my money on more accurate stuff.

Matt
Just to forwarn you, I have an MBA / NH shirt that I bought in 1999 and the shirt isn't all that long on me. I'm about 5'10" and the shirt shirt size is large. Not much extra material is left to tuck into my trousers after I put the shirt on and button it up. So unless NH has drastically changed the design of his shirt since the last 90's, you may have a problem there as well, unless he does custom sizing...not sure about that, though.

-GCR
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Yeah, I wouldn't spend over $30 on a "close-enough" shirt unless it was really really close and it had everything. I doubt we'll ever find something like that "off the rack" though.

Once you get up into the $50 or $60 I'd keep the cash and go for one of the "Big 3" because your half way there.

For me at least I just can't see spending a lot of money on shirts and pants when they're going to be the easiest thing to get messed up. Can you imagine saving up and buying a NH and then once you get it and wear it out the first time some goober spills something on it and stains it!! :shock: Or your out in the woods "playing" Indy and you hook your NH or Wested pants on a something by accident and rip a big hole in them.

I'd be a little less upset since I knew I only paid $20 or $30 compared to over $100 for both.

I think if someone ever came up to me and just started "picking" on my stuff and trying point out that the shirt ISN'T a NH or the boots AREN'T Aldens I'd probably knock them out.

My point is that you can get VERY close to the look without breaking your bank account and that doesn't make you any less of an "Indy" than anyone else.

A lot of it has to do with the way you present yourself also.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Well I just got my Forever 21 shirt and it is a pretty good looking shirt, the only problem is that it is too small for me. I usually wear a large sometimes xtra large and this large is just too small for me.

Before I mail it back if anyone here is interested I can send on your way for what it cost me.

I'm really disappointed, this would be a great shirt if it just was bigger.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Kev, sorry to here about that. It's to bad they don't offer the shirt in more sizes than just medium and Large.

By the way here are some pics I took today of me wearing the shirt with some of my gear. The pants by the way are the Oak Creek "close-enoughs" I bought a while back.
Last edited by Pitfall Harry on Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Pitfall

The shirt looks good... I really like those boots, though! I went and bought a pair at ...where else? shoe carnival! I paid $29.95. Great boot, great deal.

I actually like the look of your kahki shirt better.... Seems more like an adventure shirt to me. I know Indy's looked lighter in ROTLA, but I like the darker for myself.... More TOD.

I ordered one of the LL Bean shirts for the time being, and will eventually order a Magnoli ( unless I cange my mind!)

Thanks for all of the info!

Coronado
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Pitfall,

Where can you get those oak creek pants? Do they have pocket flaps?

Coronado
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Looking good Pitfall. I think that is a great shirt and I sure wish they offered it in more sizes.

I think that outfit you've put together is great!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

thats a great shirt. i'm thinking of getting a couple. kev, why didn't it fit you? whats your suit size?
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

G - My suit size is either a 42 or 44. The 42 is a bit tight, but the 44 is a tag big. My chest size is acutally a 43 1/2.

The shirt did not fit in the shoulders. I've got broad shoulders and that is where the shirt did not fit mainly. It was also a bit tight on my up arm, which I chalk up to my "guns" :D However, it had a great fit in the stomach area, it was not too billowy at all. I think this shirt would fit if you wear a 42 comfortably, and it would look great

Before I return this shirt if anyone wants to try it let me know and I'll send it your way, otherwise I'll return it and put that $20 in the "Magnoli shirt savings fund".
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Thanks guys. :D

I've got my second F21 "cream" shirt on the way as I write this. So I'll have two of that color plus the one in the khaki color......so I'm pretty much done with Indy shirts. :lol: Unless they start offering this in the same color as the NH shirt I don't think your going to find anything any closer than this for this price. It was dumb luck that I found this shirt to begin with.

Coronado3

The Oak Creek pants are no longer available. I got them about a year or so ago. Raging Blues picked these up for me at a store down where he lives. At the time they were marked down to like $10 or $12. Yes, they do have the back pocket flap and the color was a little bit darker when I first got them but they've lightened up some since then. You may be able to find someone selling these on like Ebay or something.....or try searching the net. All I know is once they marked them down and sold all of them that was it. It's a shame to because they are great "close-enough" pants. I bought a pair of Izod's on sale at Macy's. I had to take the cuff out of the bottom of the pants legs and they don't have the back pocket flap but the color is very close to the way the Oak Creeks looked when they were brand new. So there's another alternative.

Those boots are great, aren't they? I love them. Even though they've got a little more stitching than other Indy boots their still good close-enoughs and the most important thing is that they're very comfortable. :D
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

That is a great "close enough" outfit, Pitfall! Though the hat is a little too good to be "close enough"! ;) Often times when you put enough "close enough" pieces together they loose their effect, but I think they all work very well together. It's good to have some everyday options! :tup:

Kind regards,
Indy
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

For those who might have considered it, I found a taker for the shirt.

If you order it from forever 21 it will take about a week if you do the cheap shipping. I ordered on a sunday and recieved it the next monday.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Indy Magnoli wrote:That is a great "close enough" outfit, Pitfall! Though the hat is a little too good to be "close enough"! ;) Often times when you put enough "close enough" pieces together they loose their effect, but I think they all work very well together. It's good to have some everyday options! :tup:

Kind regards,
Indy
:lol:

Thanks, IM. :D

The only "close-enough" gear I go for is stuff like the pants, shirts and boots. To me those are the easiest pieces of gear to mess up so I don't want to spend a lot encase I mess them up.....which knowing my luck is a good posibility. :lol:
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

That Forever 21 is a sweet lookin' shirt! I think I'll pick up a few of those for sure. Thanks for the link!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I can't help but wonder that the day they designed this shirt someone wasn't watching Raiders on their TV. :lol:
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Yeah, you guys were right! The LL Bean shirt is very nice, well made, etc, but the color is a olive/khaki hybrid that is not very accurate.... Sending it back, and am still on the look out for the best safari shirt for the buck!

I am not ready to spend $90-$100 for a shirt, so am holding off on the wested, magnoli, etc.

Coronado
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I decided to give in and get one of the "big three" shirts. I thought about price, sizing, color options and decided to purchase an Indy Magnoli shirt. I liked the color options, plus it is tailored to me, and you can't beat a customised shirt for $89 including shipping. Not to mention that Indy Magnoli was very helpful in answering all of my questions and he did so in a very timely manner. If his shirt is anywhere near his customer service it will be excellent!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

you won't be disappointed kev....great choice! i liked mine so much i had to buy 2 more.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I'm really looking forward to getting the Magnoli shirt...and despite all my debate over the color, I ended up going with the Stone (thanks to inpute from Magnoli on how the other colors really look).

I'm sure I will want another shirt as soon as I get it, but I've put too much "stress" on my credit card as it is. I decided to get a nice shirt as a treat for myself because I put a lot of work into a national trial competition at school (two months worth of work) only to have two of the team's four members back out with two weeks left to go...and since I had put all this work in for nothing, I figured nothing like a new piece of gear to make myself feel better. :D
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

What's the going rate on a NH shirt these days? Is it still $85 like on the main site or has the price since gone up?
-GC