Was the jacket the same throughout the whole film? (PICS)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

i want to put oil on fire but at least 3 jackets were used ! the chachapoyan temple scene was shoot at the end of main production, and it's pretty in good shape ! not used and distressed.... :rolling: \:D/
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

As I stated earlier, I think G-Mann's jacket is a bit too big. The sleeves are not as far off as you think on their own. The appearance of long sleeves is due to the shoulder seams being at least one inch off the shoulder. Someone with the exact same arm length and slightly broader shoulders would find that it fit fine. That is the problem with off-the -rack jackets for me. I know these comments are not really appreciated, but that is what I see...

I know that some ride up occurs. I have 5 Indy jackets and the lambskin jackets seem to do it the most. But to expect the sleeves to shrink one inch is an awful lot...
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

My research reveals some other things as well.

Look at the below photos

and

See what I mean?

Now look at modern day jackets

See what I mean?

I prefer this seam which is the standard in most jackets with cargo pockets.

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

One thing that I have observed about the jacket by watching the movie and photos was that 'deformation' of the right side upper part of the zipper. The zipper was making a curve there.

I have been trying to train my jacket (the one without leather facings) to do the same, but without success. One moment was standing there like I wanted it, but the next it went back to normal.

Somehow I know that the film jacket had this deformation permanent. If I could prove that this curve was there all the time, then it would mean that HF was wearing the same jacket throughout the whole movie.

I watched Raiders again watching every scene with the jacket very carefully and taking screen caps whenever that part of the jacket was visible.

I have been able to take screen caps from all the scenes that HF wears a jacket.

Below are the findings:

I have also some photos showing the same thing which I will post later on.

In short, I have studied his jacket so very much after this that I am able to recognize it among a 100 Westeds.

Finally, I have made some conclusions after this small research which I am going to let you know after I hear you opinion.

Please...
Indiana Charles
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Charles »

First of all that has to be some kinda of record for most screen shots in a single post.

I can see the particular deformation you're talking about. I see it appears on the jacket with the rounded storm flap corner in the truck chase scene; does the deformation appear on the jacket with the pointed storm flap corner as well? IMO the jacket with the pointed storm flap corner appears only once or twice through out the film.

- I.C.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

MAY I BE BLUNT :?: :?: :?: :?:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

There's something about the pattern or the cutting on a Wested that makes it do that by itself.

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I can see the particular deformation you're talking about. I see it appears on the jacket with the rounded storm flap corner in the truck chase scene; does the deformation appear on the jacket with the pointed storm flap corner as well? IMO the jacket with the pointed storm flap corner appears only once or twice through out the film.
Yes, I think the other jacket appears only twice. Once at the river outside the temple, the first time the camera shows IJ (notice the right side of his collar) and second time when IJ and Sallah realize that "they're digging elsewhere" (notice same collar again).

But everywhere else, the jacket IS the same and it's the one that appears to have its right collar tip pointed and its left rounded.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

There's something about the pattern or the cutting on a Wested that makes it do that by itself.
Mine doesn't do it no matter how hard I try to make it be like this.
Also, the jacket in that photo appears to have its left side collar tip pointed (the right as we look the photo) and the other rounded.

So it is really an optical illusion that has to do with angle of the camera I suppose.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Also, what size is that jacket and how much you want for it?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

PLATON wrote:Also, what size is that jacket and how much you want for it?
LOL it's a 38, but you wouldn't want it, it has a snap at the bottom of the flap. :)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

leather facings on the zipper keep the zipper straight. does yours have the facings platon?
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I have been trying to train my jacket (the one without leather facings) to do the same, but without success. One moment was standing there like I wanted it, but the next it went back to normal.
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

who says we all chip and and buy platon a film used jacket so that these posts will stop!
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Platon - you are a dedicated man. I hope you can get a jacket to your liking one day. :tup:
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

This is extremely unsexy of me, but here we go: At least two jackets were used for HF for the truck chase alone.
When the squib on his arm goes off, it was obviously hidden behind a rectangular flap cut into the sleeve.

When Indy gets punched in the arm, there's a horizontal tear where the rectangle used to be.

I feel like the comic book guy on the Simpsons right now :oops:
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Well yeah.
Purpose of my thread was to identify the hero jacket that gave character to the IJ character.

Of course, there have been other jackets that showed up in the film for 3 or 10 seconds and maybe they were different than the main jacket.

I believe that each one of us who wants a screen accurate jacket wants that main jacket that was there 95% of the time. HF must have tried all the jackets, and the one that looked best must have been kept by the production team to be his main role jacket.
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

There couldn't have been just one hero jacket. At least two were used just for the studio scenes at Elstree. One of them was wrinkled and distressed on the left side of the chest, the other one wasn't.
This seems to be the same jacket:

This is a different one:

Or maybe they're four different jackets, hard to tell.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Kt Templar wrote:There's something about the pattern or the cutting on a Wested that makes it do that by itself.

I agree. All of my Westeds do this to some extent. This particular one is a "ToD" and it's about 7 years old.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

-withdrawn comment-
Last edited by PLATON on Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

That is NOT why I pointed this out! Take it easy. I just thought it was interesting how similar the folds look. I didn't see KT being argumentative either.

I find your posts interesting, even if I don't always agree. If you're trying to alienate me right off the bat though.... good start.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Dewayne,
I appreciate your input. I do not wish to alienate you. Pardon me if it came out this way.

Our goal here is to find the truth. Because the truth is only one, further down the road we should be able to agree.

I want to be friendly with everybody here because we are brothers in the same quest. I welcome doubts. Doubting will eventually lead to the truth.

I was prepared for the case that somebody would mention that the fold could be similar in more than one jackets.

That's why I have a second batch of photos ready.
Coming right up.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

OK food for thought.
I accept the fact that maybe the fold was the same in some jackets. But what are the chances that jackets could have the same deformation on the other side of the collar as well?

Watch out for green circles.

Needless to say I have more like that.
But I want to say that if you watch the film and keep your eyes on the jacket the whole time, believe me you will be able to tell that it is the same one 95% of the time.

Just look the same thing in the photos below

One other point showing that the jacket is the same is that the right collar appears to be pointed while the left rounded.
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

PLATON wrote:Well, as far as I am concerned there can be a different jacket in each of the above, if that makes you happy.

I posted the photos and the info so that everyone can make his own conclusions. I have made mine. Who cares...
That was uncalled for.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

PLATON wrote:
Well, as far as I am concerned there can be a different jacket in each of the above, if that makes you happy.

I posted the photos and the info so that everyone can make his own conclusions. I have made mine. Who cares...

That was uncalled for.

In that case I withdraw it. It deviates us from the subject.
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

Intriguing points about the collar. But it doesn't explain why the distressing varies so much.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

I really truly admire you platon , !

Your the funniest guy ever , First your pants review now this !!!

I mean you are trying to constantly re-invent the wheel!!
Keep up the sillie topics

but a tip, why not make a central jacket topic where you can post your ....

"findings" in
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I have no answer for the distressing at this time. We need to investigate further.

However, the point is that in all those photos I see a jacket that looks pretty much the same (I can't notice any differences) and that I would be very satisfied with if I owned one.

One of the reasons for this post was the re-designing in my mind of the perfect screen accurate jacket, so that I can make my next order.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Keep 'em coming, Platon. Personally, I don't see what's so hard to believe about a very small number of hero jackets being used in the filming. I mean, other than the river scene, why couldn't they have used the same jacket for most or not all of Ford's scenes, with possibly a gusseted version for the fight scenes? What better way to ensure continuity, especially with all the distressing? We all heard about the number of jackets made for the film, some of which were used by the stunt crew. But I suspect many were spares, just in case the main one was damaged during filming, and they used the same hero jacket as long as they could be certain it looked the same from earlier scenes.
Last edited by St. Dumas on Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

I'm sure this has been said before, but as to the distressing maybe it is just that because the movie is filmed out of sequence the jacket most used may get a bit more distressed during the filming and therefore would have an extra mark or two on it...or maybe Harrison had some acetone, alcohol, and sandpaper with him on the set...and just in case he distressed it too much some pecards :D
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Thanks for the irony. You find that amusing?
My research managed to show that some of the old assumptions were wrong.

You sit at your couch while I spent time and effort in doing all the research so you can have it ready at your fingertips and regardless of whether you agree or not, and instead of saying a simple 'thanks for the effort' you are making these comments.

You are like the old guys at the balcony in Muppet show.

In the end of the day, I bring some silly photos as silly proof to what I am suggesting. And this proof is beyond any reasonable doubt.

I didn't see you bring any worthy evidence.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbxb »

Hey Platon,
Thanks for the attention to detail.
Also, thanks for the screen grabs. These make great wallpapers/slideshows
Can you post one of Indy entering the golden Idol temple right when he stops & puts his hands on his hips? Thats a great shot of the length & drape of the jacket....
Abner1925
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Abner1925 »

PLATON wrote:

You sit at your couch while I spent time and effort in doing all the research so you can have it ready at your fingertips and regardless of whether you agree or not, and instead of saying a simple 'thanks for the effort' you are making these comments.

In the end of the day, I bring some silly photos as silly proof to what I am suggesting. And this proof is beyond any reasonable doubt.

This is exactly the kind of bragging I am referring to around here. You expect everyone to throw respect your way for taking massive amounts of screen caps and making assumptions based on them. This is truly an ego thing for you and your attitude shows that loud and clear in almost every thread you start. I'll tell you what the rest of us were doing while you went for the world record number of jacket threads started, we were off living our lives.

I'm also still wondering when you are going to change the title of this thread to "multiple jackets used during filming" instead of one. You have admitted that it wasn't just one jacket, which we already knew, but the thread still claims it was only one.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

This is exactly the kind of bragging I am referring to around here. You expect everyone to throw respect your way for taking massive amounts of screen caps and making assumptions based on them. This is truly an ego thing for you and your attitude shows that loud and clear in almost every thread you start. I'll tell you what the rest of us were doing while you went for the world record number of jacket threads started, we were off living our lives.
Well, this is a collective effort. I remember myself and others congratulating people when they made a good point about our hobby.
This is a non-profit hobby man. If you don't hear at least one 'thanks' then you lose your motivation to continue because nobody appreciates what you do. Everybody expects a pat in the back.

I don't ask anybody to agree with what I am suggesting about the jacket. We are just making a discussion with common goal to reach some conclusion. I expect the opposition to have some arguments though. I provide photographic evidence to support what I say and I would accept any allegation if it was supported by some kind of evidence.

Some people understand this, some others not. As I said before I welcome any opinion as long as it is backed by some evidence.

In your posts you do not speak about the subject, you are mainly concentrated on my ego.

As regards the subject, I don't plan to change it. I knew from before that there were more jackets (since agent5's ultimate specs post) but it was written like this on purpose to generate interest to the people who were not 'off living their lives'.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

Abner1925 wrote:This is truly an ego thing for you and your attitude shows that loud and clear in almost every thread you start.
Funny, I didn't detect an ounce of arrogance in Platon's remarks. On the contrary, he has acknowledged the weaknesses of his theories when any were presented and he has been gracious when other forum members have somehow taken offence to any of his posts. His theories are insightful at best, entertaining at worst. After all, he's the one whose screencaps shed some light on the issue of the side strap buckles.

And as for one forum member implying that another member doesn't have a life because he posts on COW, I thank you for making me laugh.

SD
Last edited by St. Dumas on Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Hey Platon,
Thanks for the attention to detail.
Also, thanks for the screen grabs. These make great wallpapers/slideshows
Can you post one of Indy entering the golden Idol temple right when he stops & puts his hands on his hips? Thats a great shot of the length & drape of the jacket....
I don't have that one my friend. But because you asked, I am going to get it and will send it to you.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just my nickel here, Platon I thank you for all of the attention to the details of the Raiders jacket. This roll of the jacket you've circled, isn't this infamous "demon roll" that was posted once before?
You've certainly put some time into it.
But I wonder, what will we be able to do with all this info.

Are you going to at some time make a detailed listing of the spec's to the Raiders jacket so for those in the future who are looking to buy either a new jacket or maybe just another, I've allways kicked the idea to get a Lamb ROTLA jacket as my dress jacket and having all trhe specs for Peter would be geat.

Once again, thanks.
Croft

ps: what kind of computer or gizmo do you have that can get these screen grabs, is it a comp that can play DVD. sorry if this was a little off topic, I was just ah wondering.
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

I used the VLC player to make my screen grabs.
WillieS
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WillieS »

PLATON wrote:

I'm sorry guys, but this looks the tone of an egomaniac to me. So many people have posted interesting things here over the years I have been lurking, and almost all receive nothing in return. It's the way of the web, so to speak. But, Platon said it himself, he wants cash for his efforts. Since he can't get that, he'll take the attention.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

To: Indiana Croft

Thanks for your post. I have heard (or read) the term 'demon roll' somewhere around here before, but to be honest with you I do not know what it is. I hope the eldest members can enlighten us.

Yes, the purpose of all these posts the making of a detailed listing of the specs of the Raiders jacket (which I like most) so I can order one more lamb.

But I will continue to include specs for TOD and LC. My wish is that we can all someday agree on the same specs... Not my specs, the specs that everyone will contribute a little in order to reach the final specs.

For the screen caps I am using my PC and Cyberlink Power DVD.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

WillieS wrote:I'm sorry guys, but this looks the tone of an egomaniac to me. So many people have posted interesting things here over the years I have been lurking, and almost all receive nothing in return. It's the way of the web, so to speak. But, Platon said it himself, he wants cash for his efforts. Since he can't get that, he'll take the attention.
Check the old posts if you want. He only started defending himself when he started getting slagged. And who can blame him? You honestly think he started the "All The Jackets You Can Dream Of" topic to stroke his own ego? Please.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

But, Platon said it himself, he wants cash for his efforts. Since he can't get that, he'll take the attention.
That was a joke. Attention I don't need. I need the opinions of the people I respect because I value their opinions.

And in my days, when we had one hat under our nickname, we didn't speak like this about older members.

Anyhow, I said what I had to say on the subject, I posted all the photos that I could and I have nothing more to add. This is turning into a war against me so I resign....
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Doing research with the technology readily available now is something that wasn't really thought of "back in the day". If you were able to go far enough back in the Indyfan Vault, you'd see who the first one to suggest the "double-back" strap theory was. It made the most sense as what we were told used were definitely D-rings.

Back then, pausing the vcr was about as good as most of us could do. I had the advantage of LaserDiscs, but ones that couldn't pause. Screen caps and such weren't available to everyone and required equipment some of us couldn't afford. We did what we could with what we had.

I applaud you using the great tools to do research now. Even if it overwrites one of my old theories. :lol: I'm all for this, keep it comin'.
WillieS
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by WillieS »

PLATON wrote:
But, Platon said it himself, he wants cash for his efforts. Since he can't get that, he'll take the attention.
That was a joke. Attention I don't need. I need the opinions of the people I respect because I value their opinions.

And in my days, when we had one hat under our nickname, we didn't speak like this about older members.

Anyhow, I said what I had to say on the subject, I posted all the photos that I could and I have nothing more to add. This is turning into a war against me so I resign....
Nice display of non-ego with that comment. And by the way, before you judge someone around here by the number of hats under their nickname, you need to know that I have been reading on this board for five years now. The last time I checked, that's longer than your attitude has graced this place pal.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Man, what is it with the jacket, anyway? I mean, seriously, has anything ever turned ugly over the boots? Or how about the gunbelt? Seems like any other gear item can be disected, scrutinized and discussed to great lengths without any concern. And yet, someone starts to analyze the jacket and make some new claims and then...like clockwork, another scuffle erupts. Is this thing just cursed or what?

PLATON, I commend you for the effort you've put into this whole thing. You've made lots of claims, some which have been covered in the past, others that (as far as I know) are new, and you've always had screencaps to back it up. You want the most accurate Raiders jacket specs possible and you're not content to just sit back and let other people do all the legwork for you. So for that, I gotta give you one of these: :tup:

As for all the back and forth, I just don't get it, personally...I mean, guys, it's a freekin' hobby for cryin' out loud.

-GCR
montana
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by montana »

Abner1925 wrote:This is exactly the kind of bragging I am referring to around here. You expect everyone to throw respect your way for taking massive amounts of screen caps and making assumptions based on them. This is truly an ego thing for you and your attitude shows that loud and clear in almost every thread you start. I'll tell you what the rest of us were doing while you went for the world record number of jacket threads started, we were off living our lives.
Man, this is the internet! No one forces you to read Platons threads! You read whatever you want to. Now Platon, just like he said before, spends many hours taking screengrabs and researching, both for himself and he shares it with you guys here at COW. For that, you should be thankful. What he want's to hear is opinions, not yout bragging. If you don't like, don't read!

Montana
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

ALRIGHT. Let's keep this civil and BACK on topic. Any more attacks and we'll have to step in.
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

The sleeves look a tad long on G man but that is because it is too big on the shoulder so the shoulder seam is on his arm adding to the sleeve length. Not a fault of the jacket just that Gman is tall and slim. He may well have got away with a small but I suspect then the sleeves would be too short. Not a bad effort though.
Platon needs to know about film making. The scenes are filmed out of sequence. By that I mean that a film sceen may appear several times in a film start, middle, end whatever but those sceens will all be shot at the same time. Now a principal actor will have at least 6 jackets for continuety. Hence if a jacket gets a tear in a jacket in one sceen it does not have a miraculous repair in the next which was actually filmed earlier.
Clear as mud but that's it.
Another reason as in a jackets we made recently for Hugh Grant who pushed into a fountain (Bridget Jones). If they need a retake it cannot be in a jacket that is already wet. So 6 identical jackets.
Cheers
Peter
gobo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by gobo »

Thanks very much for the insights. Enjoyable thread this is, no matter who is right or wrong in the end!
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Peter thanks for the input.
I don't doubt the FACT that there were many jackets.
What I tried to show with my research is that MAYBE only one was used (and there was no need to use the rest - except maybe for the scene with the bullet hole).