I just got my aldens, now what?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indiana Danny
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I just got my aldens, now what?

Post by Indiana Danny »

They just came in the mail. I got them on ebay for 150$ (lucky dog day for me)
So, what needs to be done, if anything?
Whats all this pecards talk?
I honestly have no idea. I wish to wear them a long time and let them age naturally.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Ah. This is my kind of thread.

First of all, put 'em on. Wear 'em a little, and let your feet get used to them. They are heavy at first, but your calves and feet get used to the extra heft after awhile.

I am assuming these are new or "like new" Aldens, so you don't really need to put any Pecards on them more than once in a while, unless they start getting scuffed up. The main idea to remember when dealing with Aldens is that even though these boots are the boots that were used in the films, they are not "adventure" boots. They are first and foremost orthopedic shoes before they are anything else. You don't take a pair of Gucci loafers on a nature hike. Normal walking isn't a problem. It will wear the heels down over time, but with good shoe rotation, this won't be a problem, either. I put more miles on my shoes than most people with a car, since I don't have one, but if only I had known when I first got my Aldens what I know about them now.

As with any shoes, proper care and maintenance will extend their life. When you take the boots off, make sure you loosen the laces so that the boot simply slides off. Be careful on slippery surfaces, as the Aldens have no real tread, and I have been an unwilling participant in "Urban Slip-N-Slide" more often than I wanted to be.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Just put them on and wear them!

They are great boots. But like Strider said, they aren't my first choice for a true "adventure" or backpacking boot. However, I've put quite a few miles on mine on various hiking trails, but I keep the boot's limitations in mind as to when to wear them hiking and when not to. (i.e. average park trails, ok. Steep banks and off trail, no go.)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Don't walk or run on snow or ice. #-o I warned you.

Oh, and you will need to get the heal replaced at some point. Count on that.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Find some cedar shoe trees and keep them in the boots when you're not wearing them. They will not only help keep the boots in the proper shape after a full day of wear, but will deoderize them and help them dry out after a long day of wear.

You can get a pair either directly from Aldens or at any fine shoe shop.

Regards! Michaelson
ij1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Lost in the Temple of Doom 'cause I went right instead of left!!!

Post by ij1936 »

I wear mine every day, clean them with a damp paper towel and then use copious amounts of saddle soap weekly. Since they were new in 2001 I have had three pairs of soles and heels replaced. The lining is worn through on the inside which has had no effect on the feel of the boot. The soles can be slippery so care must be taken when the conditions call for it.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Michaelson wrote:Find some cedar shoe trees and keep them in the boots when you're not wearing them. They will not only help keep the boots in the proper shape after a full day of wear, but will deoderize them and help them dry out after a long day of wear.

You can get a pair either directly from Aldens or at any fine shoe shop.

Regards! Michaelson
You can even get them at Lowes! :shock:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's news to me! Good find!!! :D

Regards! Michaelson