Off the rack Wested jacket question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

davefelker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Off the rack Wested jacket question

Post by davefelker »

If I ordered another Wested and just ordered a normal size that they might have on the rack would that be able to ship immediately? I thought about ordering a distressed cowhide in a 42 long and would love to have it faster than waiting the month for customizing. Any suggestions :?:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

As I recall, it's pretty much a 'done deal' if you order off the rack, as it should be in stock and just hanging there, ready to be packed and shipped.

Regards! Michaelson
davefelker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davefelker »

Are the sizes pretty accurate? I see the size chart on their website but it does not say the difference in length between a regular and a long. I usually wear a 42R but I'm 6'2 and would like to have a jacket just a bit longer than the standard length.
davefelker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davefelker »

Never mind, I just looked at the size chart again and saw the back length and the difference in size :lol:
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

I ordered a standard 42R in authentic brown lambskin with the d-rings and the recommended cotton body and satin sleeves. No special requests whatsoever, and I had my jacket about a week and a couple of days after I placed my order.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

import

Post by rbxb »

Jim wrote:I ordered a standard 42R in authentic brown lambskin with the d-rings and the recommended cotton body and satin sleeves. No special requests whatsoever, and I had my jacket about a week and a couple of days after I placed my order.
Jim,
What was your shipping & import costs. Was a signature required? Who was the shipper?
davefelker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davefelker »

Hey Jim could you please give me the measurements of your jacket, sleeve length and shoulder to shoulder. Thanks.
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

davefelker wrote:Hey Jim could you please give me the measurements of your jacket, sleeve length and shoulder to shoulder. Thanks.
I'm not sure exactly how you wanted me to measure shoulder to shoulder, BUT, I laid my jacket flat, back-side up, and measured straight across from one top shoulder seam to the other with a measuring tape (the kind you find in a tool box, not a sewing kit), I came up with about 20 inches. From the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff was about 23 and 3/4 inches. All measurements are approximate as I didn't log on to COW until after the second post-workday beer.
davefelker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davefelker »

Does it seem baggy around the waist and stomach area? Just something I'm curious about as I'm about to have my 1st post-work beer :wink:
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: import

Post by Jim »

rbxb wrote:
Jim wrote:I ordered a standard 42R in authentic brown lambskin with the d-rings and the recommended cotton body and satin sleeves. No special requests whatsoever, and I had my jacket about a week and a couple of days after I placed my order.
Jim,
What was your shipping & import costs. Was a signature required? Who was the shipper?
I don't remember exact shipping costs...I bought it about three years ago. I want to say it was around 30 to 35 dollars. I do recall the shipper was DHL. I did have to sign for it, also.
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

davefelker wrote:Does it seem baggy around the waist and stomach area? Just something I'm curious about as I'm about to have my 1st post-work beer :wink:
No, it's not baggy at all. But I'm built like "an athlete not quite beyond his prime". :roll: And of course you can custimize the fit with the side straps. I have no idea whether I got the 80's fit or not, as I had never heard of that when I ordered my jacket. I can tell you it fits me the way HF's fits him in Raiders--just slightly oversized without being baggy. Hmm, :-k , maybe I did get the 80's fit.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Shipping is £20, currently (because of the high Pound) that's knocking on US$40.

You have a small chance of getting taxed but if that happens it is not a lot. If you are in Canada the chance of getting taxed is much higher.

They do have a rack of maybe 15-20 jackets in the shop, there may be more elsewhere that I haven't seen. I know that they do runs of standard sizes when they get a good bulk delivery of a particular leather or when orders are slow...(of course that isn't that often these days!).

Last year they did a run of goatskins and the jackets were getting to the States in under 2 weeks!

If you check out ebay you may still catch a few special *green* ones they did for a commercial that never happened selling at a knock down price of £100! But the green doesn't suit too well I think! :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I saw some odd/interesting Indy jackets on their ebay site last night that were made from a run of 'green' leather!! They say it was for a tv ad that was cancelled, so they still have the jackets.

They'd match some of our Akubra's perfectly! :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
davefelker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by davefelker »

I saw those green jackets on ebay :shock: . Not quite my cup of tea! I did email Wested about an off the rack predistressed cowhide and Gemma said they did not have my size on the rack and they would have to customize it :cry: . I haven't ordered yet but I'm thinking real hard about it :wink:
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

Order :!: :D
ferraridom
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by ferraridom »

Long time lurker here, dont get around to posting much. That being said, love the site, good community with lots of good info :)

...So I find myself in London this week and I think to myself: "Self, you've always wanted a Wested jacket, so why not go get one?" Indeed.

I was unaware that they did off the rack sales, anyone have an idea of the selection? I dont want to set myself up for dissapointment tomorrow! ;)

Also, are there any caveats or good-to-know items that I should be aware of in trying to find the shop tomorrow? I'll be taking public transportation (as far as I can anyhow, havent really consulted a map as of yet), traveling from near the Marble Arch tube stop.

Thanks!
Dom
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

ferraridom wrote:Also, are there any caveats or good-to-know items that I should be aware of in trying to find the shop tomorrow? I'll be taking public transportation (as far as I can anyhow, havent really consulted a map as of yet), traveling from near the Marble Arch tube stop.
If you are taking publict transport you'll probably end up at Swanley overground Railway station. Just get a taxi from there they should know it pretty well! Wested is on Wested Lane :).

If you need a journey planner go to: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/

Key in you start and destination, it will work out all your changes for you.

Here's one route you can take:

I suggest ask if yo can get a "Travelcard" this is a fixed rated card that means you can travel all over London (Bus, Underground, Rail) for a one off payment... However I don't know if it will allow you to go as far as Swanley in Kent. Try to find out before buying! (It looks like zone 6 so get a ticket that covers 1-6).

Oh, keep a hold of your wallet, the call of all that leather is stupidly intoxicating. There are loads of jackets on the rack there I hope you find one that suits you!