Browning HP

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Browning HP

Post by coronado3 »

Hello all!

I just got my 1st browning HP yesterday! i am excited to do some target work with it. It is the .40 S&W version. I like 9mms alright, but wanted something with a bit more stopping power.

It is quited a nice piece. Light and comfortable!

Who out there has one and can you give me a review/specs of yours?

Mine came with the modern tactical grips.. I would like to get the wood grips. Anyone out there have a pair they want to unload (so to speak...)?

Coronado3
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

There will be all kinds of places to get wood grips for the HP, but try www.Brownells.com and also Midway USA (which I THINK is www.midwayusa.com ).
Masterfulks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Masterfulks »

I recently was given a silver/chrome high power (I was told that silver/chrome was the name....).

It's a fun gun to shoot. I'm thinking of switching out the grips on mine as well.

I have two issues with the gun so far. First being the sights. I've spoiled myself on 3 dot sights, so I may either try to paint the current sights, or switch them. The other is the magazine safety. I don't like that I have to have a mag in it to fire off that last round.

I've only briefly looked but apparently that feature can be disabled.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

One of the funniest things that I've experienced was the first time I shot a Hi-Power that belonged to a friend of mine. We were on his property that he had set up a shooting range down a long hollow, dead ending in a steep wooded hill. We set up a paper target and commenced to shoot. No matter what we did, we couldn't seem to hit the paper! :shock: I fired a magazine full....nothing...then HE shot magazine full...nothing.

We stood there scratching our heads, when we saw WAY down at the head of the hollow a fairly large tree slowly fall over in a crash. We walked to the tree and found the tightest grouping of hits you ever saw...you could cover them all with a saucer.....

APparently we were shooting WAY right of the paper, and every round hit that tree in the same spot until we chopped it down. #-o :oops:

Regards! Michaelson
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

So, Michaelson,,basically you're saying that if I put an apple on my head for you to shoot, with say,,Bink standing to my left,, I'd be safe, right? :twisted: :shock: #-o :wink: :wink:

TR
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

had the same thing with a Cetme. Turns out that the muzzle break was slightly off and was deflecting the bullet. Quite embarrasing when you are at a range firing 30 rounds at 50yds amd miss by 18"!!! :-({|=
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Texas Raider wrote:So, Michaelson,,basically you're saying that if I put an apple on my head for you to shoot, with say,,Bink standing to my left,, I'd be safe, right? :twisted: :shock: #-o :wink: :wink:

TR
Why do you think I favor a shotgun now? :roll: :lol:

Yep, Cowboy, sort of gives you an odd feeling before you figure out what the heck is going on....doesn't it? :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

What kind of holster will a Browning HP fit? Will it fit an Indy "Raiders" style holster?

By the way, where did Indy carry his?????

Coronado3
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, it won't fit in the standard Raiders holster.

From everything we've been able to figure out, it was carried in his bag, or loose under his belt. No holster. You can get a nice flap holster that it WILL fit in from El Paso Saddlery. They custom make holsters, and have one that will work perfectly for the P35.

An example:

https://secure.aaa-servers.com/epsaddle ... .php?id=91

This holster can be made leaving the 'U.S.' off the holster. They also many others that can be customized (like the 1860 model) to fit double action revolvers (that's the one I use).

Regards! Michaelson
Masterfulks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Masterfulks »

I always thought that he had it tucked in his bag...

That seems a little more logical than just tucked in the pants. Having it tucked in your pants, with another holster exposed is almost asking for trouble. :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

As if he didn't have enough as it was. :roll: :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I like to think he brought the highpower in from his vehicle (as per the book) when he knew the Toht confrontation was going to happen. Having it shoved in his waistband.

TR
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Texas Raider wrote:I like to think he brought the highpower in from his vehicle (as per the book) when he knew the Toht confrontation was going to happen. Having it shoved in his waistband.
I agree, Tex. This seems the most logical. Also, I don't think Indy was carrying his bag in the Raven bar scene. :-k
jkingrph
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jkingrph »

Masterfulks wrote:I recently was given a silver/chrome high power (I was told that silver/chrome was the name....).

It's a fun gun to shoot. I'm thinking of switching out the grips on mine as well.

I have two issues with the gun so far. First being the sights. I've spoiled myself on 3 dot sights, so I may either try to paint the current sights, or switch them. The other is the magazine safety. I don't like that I have to have a mag in it to fire off that last round.

I've only briefly looked but apparently that feature can be disabled.
Magazine safety can be disabled and really improves trigger pull. It eliminates the gritty feeling. A company somewhere in Nebraska called Cylinder and Slide tends to specialize in improving the Browning HP, offering several aftermarket parts one of which is a wider trigger which when installed eliminates the magazine safety. They also have cnc machined sears and hammers but these can be a bear to install and fit, I would reccomend sending to them as I did for this work. I did all this plus a bar sto match barrel and it turned into a extremely acccurate piece, even better than my Gold Cups and Kimbers.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Masterfulks; Do I detect a Remington Rand in that gun case? My HP is actually a Hungarian PJK-9HP, a clone of the 'T' Series HPs. I picked up a repro Nazi WWII HP holster for it from 'International Military Antiques' and I put it on a matching brown gun belt with a standard 'D' brass buckle. I don't own any revolvers so I figured if I decided to go out as 'Indy armed' it would be with the HP holster. BTW, I'm getting intimations here and on other threads that the mystery of the HP in the bar fight has been solved? So, where did it come from? Here's mine.
http://www.huntingpictures.net/photo/004203