Care and Feeding of a New Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Care and Feeding of a New Jacket

Post by Nevada Jones »

So, what is the procedure once you have your new bundle of joy at home? I want to ensure a long healthy life with plenty of adventure. A nice layer of Pecards? If so which one? Or is a simple conditioner the way to go?

Regards! Nevada
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Depends on which leather you have. Check out the stickied post by 'Leather_Loco' in the gear care section below. He covers it quite well (he's a VP at Pecards). I always give mine a light coating when they first arrive myself, allowing the product to soak all the way in overnight. I then treat as needed (such after a wetting by a good rain), and at the end of the wearing season before putting it away.

Regards! Michaelson
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

"I always give mine a light coating when they first arrive myself, allowing the product to soak all the way in overnight"

A light coat of what?

I have a GB in goat.

Thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Like I said, it depends on what you have. NOW that I know what YOU have, I can make a recommendation. I've owned lambskin, several versions of cowhide, goatskin, horsehide, and each takes a different type product, and as I said, I apply a light coating of a specific product for what ever type hide jacket I've just received.

In your case, I'd recommend the Pecard's leather 'lotion' (it's really a jell). It will soften the goatskin, as well as help add water resistance to the hide. It's discussed at the bottom of the string I recommended to you.

viewtopic.php?t=7211

Regards! Michaelson
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Hi--For what its worth, Dave Marshall at G & B once told me that a new
G & B goat should NOT need anything in the way of treatment when brand new.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Funny, he told me otherwise. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Michaelson wrote:he's a VP at Pecards
More like a Michaelson at Pecards. 8) :P
Slick
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Slick »

What pecards should be used for horsehide?...or would a new HH jacket need anything? (due to it being tough and resistant to water to begin with).
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

VP wrote:
Michaelson wrote:he's a VP at Pecards
More like a Michaelson at Pecards. 8) :P
:lol: I'm sure Eric has forgotten more about Pecard's products than I'll EVER learn. :D

Regards! Michaelson
Nevada Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Nevada Jones »

Thanks for the tip Michaelson, I went ahead and placed an order for the Leather Lotion last night.

Nevada
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good man! Remember, just a light coating, and apply it with your bare hands. After application, hang up overnight to allow it to soak in. Once it's soaked in, just buff with a clean old cotton tee shirt, and you're good to go.

Regards! Michaelson