Back wearing out of an MKVII?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Back wearing out of an MKVII?

Post by Strider »

I have an original unissued MKVII from WPG, and a lot of times, I leave stuff in it when I take it off. Usually, my "convention survival kit" is what stays in there. A bottle of water, some sealed long-lasting snacks and a couple other things. I've noticed that some black marks have been showing up on the back of the bag, most likely dirt or sweat stains that collect on the parts of the bag where the items inside press it outward a little bit.

My question is, has anyone ever known the back of a real MKVII to have holes wear in the back of it from use?
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

I haven't had that happen to any of my bags so far, but anything is going to wear out eventually given enough use. Do you wear denim jeans a lot, and is the bag constantly rubbing up against them? I've had the indigo dye from a pair of mine rub off from the cuffs onto the tops of some suede shoes after wearing them together for a day.

One thing that might help extend your bag's life span might be to give it a gentle cleaning from time to time, paying particular attention to those black marks. Sweat and dirt will weaken the fabric fibers, hastening it's eventually failure.

Cheers!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Baggers, thanks for the reply. Jeans could be the culprit, but I really don't wear the bag except for every now and then with jeans, as it mostly only gets worn when I don all my gear at once. However, even when that happens, it rubs up against my pants a lot as I am walking, which is how I figured these marks got there in the first place, coupled with the fact that I left lots of things in there when I wasn't using it.

I always kept thinking of a MKVII as one of these things that was made during WWII, and was built to last, so barring some kind of serious conditions, that it would pretty much survive any normal non-rigerous useage I could throw at it.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

My bag is definitely lighter in color on the back compared to the parts that don't rub against my hip. Enough wear and I'm quite sure it could potentially wear a hole right through it. If worn a bit higher I guess the rubbing wouldn't be a problem, but then again I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. I'm sure it is good for antoher few years though. ;) Which reminds me I should try and find a mint one for a decent price as a spare one. It's time for me to engage in the hunt ones again. Lovely. :)

Regards,
Swindiana
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Well, I'm just taking shots in the dark as to what could be causing the problem, but if the stains are shaped like whatever it is you regularly put in the bag, then it has to be the bag rubbing up against something constantly.

As for the bags being sturdy, well, yes they are. But only within certain parameters. I don't think the designers in their wildest dreams ever imagined that these bags would still be in use over half a century later, and for purposes beyond that for which they were designed. Also, they will deteriorate over time if not stored correctly (I had two WPG original bags fall apart from dry rot within 24 hours of receiving them). Any degree of use we get out of them is gravy as far as I'm concerned.

Not to sound preachy, but I think I've stated this before. Any piece of clothing or equipment must be maintained properly in order to get the most out of it.

Cheers!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I hang it on my doorknob when not in use, and it either has the items I normally carry in it, or it has some old shirts and stuff to keep the bag in from returning to its prior crushed-and-stored-for-years-that-way state.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I have one that is beginning to show wear right around one of the bottom vents. It'll eventually tear right along the vent edge, but for now it's fine. It's from setting it down repeatedly when I take it off somewhere. At home, it's hung on my "Indy" rack.

TR
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

My first MKVII had to be retired recently as holes had worn in the back. An address book carried inside did most of the damage, same as a wallet in your back pocket may eventually wear a hole in your pants.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Well, I guess I'll retire it at that point, and it will stay with me forever, because it has Deborah Nadoolman's autograph on the inside flap.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

I think that iron patch idea is a good one. Since my first MKVII bit the dust, I might try to rubberize the inside to see if that gives any extra wear. I might try the iron patch too, then paint the inside with liquid latex (and powder that up so it doesn't stick to itself). It's a stunt bag now anyway.

Strider, you shoulda hung up that bag for safe keeping when Ms. Nadoolman signed it!
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

Strider wrote:Well, I guess I'll retire it at that point, and it will stay with me forever, because it has Deborah Nadoolman's autograph on the inside flap.
Did she rough it up with Harrison Ford's Swiss army knife (as she said she did with the first Indy jacket)? :lol: :twisted:

Randy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Be VERY careful carrying pencils or pens in these bags. D.Jones carried an original issue bag that I gave her years ago, and an ink pen poked a hole in the side of the bag. Before she knew it had occurred, a ragged hole had developed from the canvas unravelling, so be warned. :?

Regards! Michaelson
randystokes
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by randystokes »

And be careful dragging it along the ground when you crawl under the Plymouth! :wink:

Randy
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I leave it in the back seat. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I usually carry pens and pencils in my pocket, not only for the reason Michaelson suggested (as I had thought about that for a bit), but also I didn't want them mussing up the signature. I could have retired it after I got it signed, but I don't have the 50$ for a new bag right now, and the signature is pretty much protected, being on the inside flap and all.