Flame Resistant / Bullet Proof Indy Jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

nice find webhead. i don't know where i would ever need a jacket like that unless i put the safety striping on it......but us engineers get a hard enough time in the field as it is :( we just wanna be loved....is that so wrong!?!!?!
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

That's totally cool! It's right along the lines of the kevlar Indy jacket! Remember that one?!

TR
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Texas Raider wrote:That's totally cool! It's right along the lines of the kevlar Indy jacket! Remember that one?!

TR
yep, in the Indy pattern...weird. any idea if they ever sold any of those?
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Dunno. I thought _ was getting one way back then,,at least I think it was him.

TR
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

seems like an excellent idea for a paranoid movie star...or an undercover cop. you'd think they'd have sold fairly well.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I remember _ was in line to get one, but I think he backed out when the final price was issued. I did hear several were purchased by forces heading to Iraq the first time, and were very well received.

I don't think they made any more, though. It was a really expensive item, and not feasible to handle as a standard stock item.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Michaelson wrote:I remember _ was in line to get one, but I think he backed out when the final price was issued. I did hear several were purchased by forces heading to Iraq the first time, and were very well received.

I don't think they made any more, though. It was a really expensive item, and not feasible to handle as a standard stock item.

Regards! Michaelson
I can't remember if it was also supposedly very heavy, or if that was just a guess...I DO remember the high price tag, though! :shock:

EDIT: Oh, hey, Michaelson, look at webhead go, I think he's way ahead of us: viewtopic.php?t=19810&highlight=
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

This is like a the drive in lique store. It's almost a good idea.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jerry wrote: EDIT: Oh, hey, Michaelson, look at webhead go, I think he's way ahead of us: viewtopic.php?t=19810&highlight=
How do you figure, Jerry? I posted at 9:45 a.m. this morning, and he posted that after 10. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No one said you were, web. It's just that Wings already did that several years ago, and it was a success in sales to troops making personal purchases to go overseas during Desert Storm.

This is a company I've never heard of, but companies like this have been around for a LONG time in terms of retrofitting folks jackets, or creating new ones out of Kevlar. I remember these advertising in a LOT of law enforcement magazines back in the 80's, and they also sold a lot of safari vests lined in kevlar at the same time for wear in hot climates, as well as built to carry concealed weapons without detection. It's an a fairly estalished business now, but Wings was the first to make one in an Indy jacket design. Because of the complex nature OF that jacket design and pattern, they pretty much kept sales to military sales only, as they were QUITE costly to make.

I don't know if they still take special orders for the military now, but have not heard of them doing any commercial sales since that time.

Regard! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Believe me, if I hadn't been working at the Florida Highway Patrol back in the 80's, this would have been news to me as well! :shock:

I guess you'd REALLY have to love your jacket to pay extra to have THIS done to it after the fact. :lol:

Thanks for the links! I had not really looked at these since then. It's interesting to see it's still a viable product, and grown to such an extent after all these years! :D

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Michaelson wrote:
Indiana Jerry wrote: EDIT: Oh, hey, Michaelson, look at webhead go, I think he's way ahead of us: viewtopic.php?t=19810&highlight=
How do you figure, Jerry? I posted at 9:45 a.m. this morning, and he posted that after 10. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Ah, I just figured since he hadn't been back on this thread he hadn't seen our discussion before posting. Sorry to mislead. ;)
Masterfulks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Masterfulks »

My wife is a forensic scientist, in their morgue....

A guy had a car wreck and apparently his clothes were on fire. In a panic he ran out in the street and was killed when a car hit him.

When I saw that topic I thought of that poor b*****d. If he had only had a flame resistant jacket he might have lived!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Masterfulks wrote: When I saw that topic I thought of that poor b*****d. If he had only had a flame resistant jacket he might have lived!
It might have helped, but it was the oncoming car that killed him... not the fire.

Regards! Michaelson
Masterfulks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Masterfulks »

Yep, but if he wasn't on fire he wouldn't have run into the street!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

We don't know that for sure, but it's a moot point. Either way, it's not a good way to go. :(

I worked in the Florida Highway Patrol homicide photo lab for a year in the mid 80's and literally printed 10,000 photos a week of every possible way there was to die in an auto accident. Some you'd never believe, so I totally know and understand your wife's work. I also worked for a funeral home. Hers is a sad but extremely important job. I'm sure you're proud of the work she does.

Now, on to happier subjects.......

Regards! Michaelson