Anybody, catch the number on that S&W?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Anybody, catch the number on that S&W?

Post by Illinois Troy »

I just recieved my FFL C&R from the government after 6 months of waiting. Now I am on the hunt for that elusive S&W hand ejector and I know they're hard to track down. If anyone has seen anything lately at shows or on the net let me know or drop me a line offline.

I also wanted to know how hard it is to come by the S&W with the 4 inch barrel and its cost. Any bit of knowledge is welcome. Thanks all.

- Illinois[/i]
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Generally, the 4 inch barrelled hand ejector will be hard to find, because the longer barrel lengths (5, 5 1/2, 6 1/2) were more popular, and therefore more of them were manufactured.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

If we found the HE2 in .45 ACP but it had a 5 or 5 1/2 inch barrel, could it be cut down relatively easily by a good gunsmith?
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

Yes, it can be cut down by a gunsmith. Don't get "wrapped around the axel" on barrel lengths, except if it's shorter than 4 1/2". Just find a good looking gun and have a gunsmith customize the rest, including the sights.

-S
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Hmmm...thanks for the advice.

- Illinois
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Bare in mind, by cutting the original barrel that comes with your revolver, you'll diminish the worth by quite a few bucks. Try and find a replacement barrel, have IT cut down, and store away the original barrel for future possibilities. You may decided to sell or trade that Smith years down the road, and you'll still have all the original uncut parts. Highly recommended for these hard to find weapons. Regards. Michaelson
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

Michaelson and Sergei,

Thanks for sharing the advice. Michaelson, you can get a different barrel attached to a Revolver (Smith) and preserve the original? If that's the case, then that's what I'll have to do because I was scared of ruining the gun. Thanks again guys.
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Sergei, I like the new pic!

Actually, I didn't realize that you could replace the barrel on that S & W. I was not aware of that one, thanks, Michaelson.

- Illinois
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Heavens, yes!

Post by Michaelson »

All barrels are just screwed in the front of the frame of any revolver (well, all but top break revolvers. They're PART of the frame.) This allows folks who shoot a LOT to replace their worn out barrels over time rather than having to replace an entire revolver. Just fine another barrel from a BIG gun shop (one that does a lot of work, and has for a while. They tend to build up quite an inventory of used parts over time) and have the barrel cut and crowned to the wanted length...re-install the front sight, and you're back in business. Take to original barrel and put away someplace. Regards. Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Michaelson, always the good tipster in this area. Even though I've read this stuff before I never wouldv'e remembered. Illinois, keep us updated in this search. I've been interested in one also as well as the Browning which are a helluva lot more common. I just haven't begun the search. What is the FFL C&R? I thought all you need was a FOID card which I have? Or is it the same thing? Get back.
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

An FFL C&R license allows me to recieve firearms, that are considered Curios & Relics by the National Firearms Act, by shipment at my home address. It allows me to do this as a collector, not a business. For Illinois it's sufficient to have a FOID card to purchase most firearms and I believe you have to own a FOID card to own any firearm, but I could be wrong on this point. I have it anyway just to be on the safe side. At any rate the much sought after S&W and Webley are on this list as well as a myriad of other firearms.

I stress to anyone thinking of applying for one that this license does not give you carte blanche to buy firearms undetected. The BATF (Bureau of alchohol, tobacco, & firearms) requires an inspection of your collection once a year. This can be done at their offices or at your home and you must keep a record of your firearms in a hardbound notebook (purchase details, etc.). However when you see the C&R list, it's well worth it.

Michaelson, is Smith & Wesson, .455 Mark II Hand Ejector, cal. .455. another way of saying H.E. 2. I've never heard it called a Mark II.

- Illinois
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Hummm

Post by Michaelson »

I must have missed something. Have I refered to it as a Mk II before :? ? If so, sorry about that, as I've only read and heard it referred to as a HE II or a Hand Ejector model 2 myself. I can't find where that came from, so you'll have to refresh my memory. Most of the 'Mk' nomenclature has always been associated with British militaria, such as the Webley or other related materials, so the slip may have been a cross reference mixup when talking about several different guns in a post. Regards. Michaelson
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

No, Michaelson, you didn't mention it that way, I found it on the BATF list of C&R weapons:

Check out this website for some good FFL Curios & Relics info:

http://www.shelfspace.com/~c-r-ffl/

If you look through the site you'll find an alphabetical listing of firearms classified as Cutios & Relics. Under the S-W listing I found:

Smith & Wesson, .455 Mark II Hand Ejector, cal. .455.

I was under the impression that the Mk designation was for British military firearms as well. I did a double take on this one.

Agent5 hopes the above helps clarify the C&R a bit.

- Illinois
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Whoops, I meant: Agent5, I hope that the above URL helps clarify things a bit. If you have any questions just light up the bat signal, er... Indy signal.

- Illinois
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Ah, that makes sense

Post by Michaelson »

Notice that it's listed in .455 caliber. It more than likely was given the Mk designation as the .455 caliber was issued to Canadian forces, not U.S. forces, and would indeed get a British moniker, or assignment. I'll confirm with the Jinks history, but all Canadian items that I've read or owned have indeed carried the Mk mark one way or another, regardless of WHO the manufacturer was of that particular item. Regards. Michaelson
Illinois Troy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Illinois Troy »

Yeah, that would make sense. I never would have thought about it's Canadian military use.

- Illinois