Westeds and Flightsuits

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Westeds and Flightsuits

Post by Fatdutchman »

Well, It's been about a week and a half since ordering my Wested jacket. I've always been worried about it, and I just KNOW that it won't fit (NOTHING ever fits me...). I gave every measurement I could think of. Chest measurement, shirt collar size, sleeve length of the jacket, shirt sleeve length, chest measurement of a jacket that fits me (yes, I have ONE), back length, Waist measurement, inseam, height, weight, eye and hair color....I considered giving my hat and shoe size and telling them that I have a scar on the inside of my left foot....

Now, on top of all of my general paranoia (hey, it ain't paranoia if it can actually happen!!!), I've been reading all the posts here on people and their Westeds. Now I'm really freaked. Is there ANYONE who hasn't had some kind of problem with them? Stitching coming apart, wrong collars, wrong zippers, wrong linings, missing snaps, etc. and I gotta tell you, if I can't get my hands into the hand warmer pockets, I'm gonna be seriously p.o.'d! I've seen people say things like "you gotta specify that you want reinforced stitching so it won't come apart"...HUH! why the H377 would you have to specify that!!!

It all doesn't exactly instill confidence!!! 8-[

I'm still hopeful, BUT....

As a possible alternative in case of total meltdown, I am looking at the Flightsuits jacket. ALL reports on this jacket are quite good, with only one "horror story" that I have been able to find, and even this one worked out well in the end. The photos I have been able to find in a search of this forum showed a very nice jacket (what few photos I could find...most of them no longer work :x ).

Unfortunately, their web catalog page is not as informative as it should be, and the photos there are lousy (is that a black jacket they show? I sure hope this is not the dark brown!!!). Does this jacket have underarm gussets? I always have a real problem lifting my arms without pulling the bottom of the jacket up to my armpit, BUT, if a jacket is constructed properly (armholes high and tight, body of the jacket not oversized...) gussets aren't necessary. Problem is, that everybody thinks that someone who is a size 48 just MUST be absolutely huge and fat as a cow and weigh 300+ pounds, and they make the sleeves and armholes immense.....GRRR. Not to mention that usually, when I find a shirt or jacket that fits my chest and shoulders, it's as big as a tent around my stomach...

Anyway, I'm just trying to cover all bases here and be prepared for any eventuality. And, no, I can't really afford the $400+ price tag of the FS jacket, but then, I can't really afford the Wested either! I would appreciate any information, advice, and words of encouragement (even if I don't believe them...)

Just please, no one direct me to US Wings. I've already had my little experience with them. Ordered the goat Indy jacket in XL long. July. A week later, I didn't have the jacket yet, so I emailed them. "I'll check it out" was the answer. I got no answer, actually, and emailed them again a few days later. "The jacket is out of stock, and will be in within 3 to 4 weeks". Ok. no problem. 3 to 4 weeks turned into three months, then, finally, in October, a jacket arrived. It was absolutely huge. I sent it back and said to send me a large long. I got a call that the jacket was mislabeled and it was actually an XXL long. Ok, send me another XL long. "they're out of stock and will be in in 3-4 weeks". I just got my money back.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

I've only owned two Wested jackets, purchased about 4 years apart. Both were dark brown lambskin, raiders style. The first jacket I got I had measured wrong, and it was a bit snug and had almost no slack in the sleeves at all. No fault of Wested, it was my miscalculation in the measurements. Despite the fact that it didn't quite fit right, I still loved that first Wested. Yet I still beat the ever living @#$% out of that jacket. I distressed it naturally and unnaturally. I sanded it, used the old acetone trick, dragged it along stone floors and brick walls, and aside from the satin liner ripping in a few places (more a result of the tight fit than all the distressing), the jacket itself remained intact. No stitching in any of the leather came loose, no collars fell off, nothing bad happened at all. And that jacket took a beating. I DO remember that the handwarmer pockets were a bit snug.

In 2003, I bought a new Wested, same type as before, dark brown lambskin, Raiders style. I gave my chest size (44), and other measurements from another leather jacket (non-Wested...non-Indy actually) I had that fit me right off the rack. Since my first wested purchase in 1999, some things that had previously been "special request items only" had become standard, such as leather facings along the zipper and collar, deeper back action pleats and larger handwarmer pockets. The 2003 Wested fits me perfectly. I have no problem with the handwarmer pockets and again, the quality has not been an issue at all. I'm not careful with my jacket, I wear it frequently (as the WONDERFUL New England weather allows :roll: ) and I'm not afraid to treat it rough. It has held up these past 3 years without any concerns. While I know some people have had issues with Wested for whatever reason, (and I don't want to discount anybody's legitimate complaints) I can say with confidence that I, personally, AIN'T one of them. My Wested has been a dream. Hope this helps, & best of luck!

-GCR
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i've only got the one jacket and they got my measurements bang on. the only thing they missed was the jacket label that i requested.

i'll know much better about how good wested really is when my second jacket comes in (should be a couple of weeks now....i hope). i say that because i have a list of specs that i am hoping they will accomodate. i'll keep you posted.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Yeah, add me to the list of people that have no complaints. :D

Granted, I didn't give Wested a laundry list of requests or specify measurements down to the millimeter but I got exactly what I asked for, and it fit me exactly as I wanted it to. I think it took exactly five weeks, just as they had quoted when I ordered.

Other than the fact that Wested is THE jacket maker, I was also drawn to the fact that they make a custom-sized jacket for less money than other makers off-the-rack sizes.

Since I had a 100% positive experience with my first jacket I have no doubt that I'll eventually get another Indy jacket from them, and I have no problem recommending them.

Like GCR said also I'm not trying to diminish the problems others have had with their Wested jackets, because everyone makes mistakes, but I think they are quite rare when you consider how many jackets they make each week.

So in effort to help you feel better Fatdutchman I'll say my jacket is a 48L dark brown lambskin jacket and I'm also not 300lbs, and I'm fairly tall, but my arms aren't quite as long as they should be proportionally (6'3" but only a 34" sleeve) and I always have a hard time buying shirts and jackets that have enough length in the body but don't have sleeves that pass my knuckles.

And my jacket fits me perfectly. I'm sure yours will too!

:)
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

Fatdutchman - I am right there with you! I ordered my jacket about a week and a half ago and I'm worried that I measured wrong or did something wrong that is going to cause some problem with my jacket. I am dying to get it and I sure hope I didn't give the wrong measurement or something stupid like that! I hope that things turn out great for both of us!
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

I, too, received a perfect jacket from Wested... didn't order that much specials - black sliders and that was more or less it. I went over to Swanley to pick it up in person and tried it on in the shop, in case there were any alterations to be made - a perfect fit.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

Perhaps another side to the (COW Challenge) coin..

My first cowhide Wested fits PERFECTLY with no omissions from my requests. The liner stitching along the right shoulder did come loose (satin liner) and the popper came out on the right pocket flap. But...it is still a great jacket, and is the one I do not wear and display in The Indy Room

second cowhide (to replace the prop jacket) also came perfect. It, too, had the stitching come apart at the right shoulder on the satin liner..y'know..maybe it's just the way I wear it? Also, the stitching came apart at the hand warmer pocket...still a great jacket, and my winter jacket, too...even in Canada!!

third Wested is a lambskin Raiders. It arrived with a hang-glider LC collar that I did not like, and still dislike to this day...but it is still an amazing jacket and I wear it almost daily in Spring and Fall.

My point is this...even if Wested does err, which DOES happen, it will still be a great jacket at a great price, and any little things that make it individual will not ruin the overall enjoyment of the jacket by any means.

It's an actual Indy jacket, man!!! Love it, wear it, enjoy it!!! I can tell ya that the feeling you get when you slide that thing on will be a novelty that won't go away any time soon.

Trust me.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Wellll...

I have owned 3 Westeds. Never once have I had a problem. I, like you, used to think nothing ever fit me. Then I got my first Wested. I was scared that it wouldn't fit, but then, the moment of truth came...I put it on, and .... fit. This has been the case with all of the jackets I've owned from Wested. Never once were the sleeves too long, or the jacket too tight, or something left off ... I mean, I consider myself kinda lucky in this gear game..I've never had to send ANYTHING back because I wasn't happy with it, save for once when I ordered a hat too large by mistake, and had it resized. Never with a jacket, though. My sliders came black, I don't know how other folks are saying they don't come that way...

Anyways, if you gave Wested all the measurements you say you did, it oughtta come out just fine.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

Thanks guys, like I said, I'm paranoid anyway. That coupled with my long track record of not being able to find anything that actually fits...you see my apprehension!

I didn't make a bunch of special requests. I didn't know you could do that anyway! I just told them that their normal pattern 48 long would probably work fine, but I gave them all my measurements anyway. I chose the Raiders style in authentic brown goatskin. I think I picked the D rings...not a point of contention with me. I don't care as long as they work. The only extra options were to add underarm gussets (I am not taking chances...I MUST be able to raise my arms while wearing the jacket!), an extra inside pocket, and an American style zipper. That's it.
michaeljcr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by michaeljcr »

I got my authentic lamb Raiders last year and worried about the size as I'm a bit in between chest sizes. I got the 48R, told them my sleeve length and it fits just right. I didn't go for any extra custom details, no X-Box stitching or other speacial requests and it's a tough, comfortable jacket that's already taken a pounding. I hope you have the same positive experience I did!
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

I got my Wested over a year ago from someone on the RPF. I've beaten the heck out of it and it's still in great shape. Worn it in the rain several times. It rarely gets hung up it either gets draped on a chair or thrown on the floor. I heard hanging leathers works the wrinkles out so I never hang mine.
Other than the leather condition it's in fairly new condition. I do plan to get another when the pocketbook allows as I'd like to have one for everyday adventures and the other for going out in. For being an adventure jacket it really does look sporty if you dress up a bit.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I've owned two Westeds. The first I purchased from someone on the board. No serious problems here. The second, I was measured for by Peter at the last QM and ordered it about a month later. The jacket fits like a glove with no problems whatsoever. It was great to put on because I can't buy off the rack jackets.

I will stand by this product 100%. Never been happier with anything I've owned.

Mike
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I'm sure your jacket will turn out just fine.

Even still, I hate to be the black sheep or the odd ball here. But, speaking from personal experience...I've owned something like 3 or 4 Wested jackets. Ranging from lambskin, goatskin, and cowhide. Unfortunately each had "something" wrong with it. Fortunately, I'm happy to hear that others haven't had the luck that I had.

1.) Lambskin-lining ripped and leather stitching came undone within weeks,
2.) Goatskin-stitching started to become undone within weeks,
3.) Cowhide-press studs popped off the very same day jacket arrived (not a big deal, of course, but a disapointment nontheless).

It's not my intention of painting a portrait as Wested jackets as being inferior. I'm simply stating my personal experiences in response to your inquiry. I don't mind owning a Wested jacket, or even their shirts and pants. Would I buy from them again in the future? Yes. But, if I have to make my money count towards something that will hold up for years (as well as being screen accurate), I personally would opt for the Flightsuits Goatskin. This is why, when I had some Xtra cash to put towards a new Indy jacket, I decided to give Flightsuits a try. And, believe me; they are worth it indeed. I believe someone here said it well when they put it like this: "Flightsuits for durability; Wested for nastalgia."
With respect to all,
Captain D
Slick
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Slick »

Fat Dutchman - I just ordered a jacket as well and I share your concerns. However, I'm optimistic that they will complete my jacket per my requests. Prior to actually placing my order, I had done some e-mail corresponding with them and they addressed my questions completely.
Also, I was very impressed that Gemma responded back to me so promptly...sometimes even the same day I sent the e-mail.

Since we ordered our jackets a little over a week ago, we'll probably receive them around the same time. I will post the results (per my jacket requests) along with some pics. If you get a chance, let us know how things worked out for you....and provide some pics.
Fatdutchman
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Fatdutchman »

I will certainly post photos and comments when it comes in! I am very interested in horsehide in another jacket. Never seen any in person. I know it is heavier than goatskin, but is it a LOT heavier? I can't imagine that there is that great a difference in weight.
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Fatdutchman the Horsehide is IMO more sturdier and it starts to grain very fast compared to the Goat. My HH startet to look used after 4 days.
A friends 5month old goatskin does still look like new. If you don't mind to have a bit heavier jacket then definitly go for the HH! You won't regret it.
:)

Greets

orb
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Fatdutchman wrote:I will certainly post photos and comments when it comes in! I am very interested in horsehide in another jacket. Never seen any in person. I know it is heavier than goatskin, but is it a LOT heavier? I can't imagine that there is that great a difference in weight.
The horsehide they use is thicker and less flexible than the goat it is also heavier. Once made into a jacket it is still very handsome. It's just very, very different to the lamb and goatskins. However it is nowhere near the armour like thinkess and heaviness of the front quarter horse that people like Aero seem to use.

The folks here who have got horsehides all seem to have been blown away by them. But to be honest the only one that people seem to offload quickly is the predistressed cow, Orb's recent lambskin notwithstanding (that is highly unusual) most get seduced by it's buttery softness :)