Vintage Borsalino arrived-with pics

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Vintage Borsalino arrived-with pics

Post by mark seven »

Hi everyone,here is my vintage Borsalino which I've styled as an Indy hat.This hat was originally purchased in the early forties but never worn so it's in great condition-the felt is so soft and thin(half the thickness of my fed),I changed the ribbon and gave it a SOC'ish bash..I LOVE this hat,after wearing this one for a few days my fed feels like a well-made costume hat,it's so light and soft!. :D
Last edited by mark seven on Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Looks great! Of course, we will need some more pics...back, side etc... Love the color!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

nice look mark seven! that hat definitely has a character of its own and she looks perfect on the owner....enjoy it!
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Very nice. Welcome to the world of vintage hats, there is nothing like 'em! :D
How is the fit? It looks a little big but maybe it is just my eyesight playing tricks..
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks guys,I will try and take pics of the sides and back,I have to get a friend of mine to take my pictures and it's always a little rushed(a digital camera is top of my christmas list!),Feraud,I have already taken 3/8ths inch off the brim and it looked fine in the mirror but I agree that in the photos it still looks slightly too big!?!(I guess the scissors are coming out again!),I am thinking now that I am TR brim size-2 3/8th's on the sides..I am learning so much with every hat I get.Vintage hats are something else..more grown-up and real,I can't put it into words..just special for sure! :D
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

Nice lookin' lid mark. Just have one question. Do you cut the brim all around or just at the outermost points as shown below.

Note: I know thats an AB. I'd never cut an AB, just using it as a reference. :)
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks GS,this Borsalino wasn't dimensionally cut when I got it, so I had to trim just the sides to begin with and then afterwards(for the second and third trim) I went all the way around evenly taking an 8th inch off each time..as I've got a very narrow face I have had to face up to the fact that every hat I get I am going to have trim a lot off to fit my face-but it doesn't worry me now because it always looks so much better when it's tightened up-streamlined and ready for action! :wink:
Last edited by mark seven on Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoneSolo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by GoneSolo »

I too suffer from the narrow face disease. This Akubra looks like a sombrero on me, though I have since bashed it a bit thanks to help from some of the guys. I was thinking about cutting it down, but they were against it.

Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

mark seven wrote:Thanks GS,this Borsalino wasn't dimensionally cut when I got it, so I had to trim just the sides to begin with and then afterwards(for the second and third trim) I went all the way around evenly taking an 8th inch off each time..as I've got a very narrow face I have had to face up to the fact that every hat I get I am going to have trim a lot off to fit my face-but it doesn't worry me now because it always looks so much better when it's tightened up-streamlined and ready for action! :wink: , I've learned something today though-a SOC bash looks a lot wider than,say,a temple-grab bash so it may need to have a slightly narrower brim.
Aaargh!! Do not trim the brim anymore! :shock:
Of course it is your to do with what you will but I suggest leaving vintage items "as is" and wearing them with as much care as possible. Those beauties are finite.
There are plenty of modern brands trim, rip, and fool with if necessary.

I was referring to the hat fit, not the brim. The hat looks like it is sitting a bit too far down on your head. Like I said, it could just be my eyes. :D
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

gonesolo, your hat is fine. You just need to adjust the brim. I think your hat would look a lot less like a sombrero and more like a fedora if it wasn't so flat ( brim).
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I agree with jpenman.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

mark seven the hat looks really great! And I have to add... that jacket is marvellous. You need to tell me the specs!
Again compliments about the hat
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks Erri,the jacket is a GB chrome Goat- size 38,it's had the works done to it(sorry Michaelson :wink: )-acetone,staining,sandpaper and two trips through the washing machine and dryer(full heat! :shock:)-it looks 30 years old now.I may do a seperate post on my jacket- I'm very proud of it :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Looks really fantastic. 38, mmh my size... I wonder.... ok send it here I'll have a proper look at it :wink:

Sorry for hijacking, again compliments on the hat, it looks really nice.

PS my girlfriend says that your wee girl is very cute :wink:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I thought you'd like to know, threads like these are giving Fedora Loungers cold sweats :). Who's up for some vintage A2 deknitting?