Pecards and my Wested Goatskin:

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Pecards and my Wested Goatskin:

Post by Captain D »

Hello All,

I just used the standard / classic Pecards on my new Wested Goatskin. It seems that even though the Pecards softened, darkened, and reduced the the shine of the Goatskin leather, it has made my jacket kinda "tacky" or "oily." Has anyone experienced this before with their Goatskins by using the Classic Pecards? Any suggestions?

High Regards,
Captain D
Crusader
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Crusader »

Hi,
Sounds like you might have put too much on. Michaelson posted a fix earlier that might help you:
http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... php?t=1978

Good Luck!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

True

Post by Michaelson »

Use that procedure, and you'll get that finish cleared right up. It's a bit late now, but just as a point of discusion I NEVER use standard Pecards on goatskin....I use the jell. It softens goatskin and horsehide up a bit better and faster, and doesn't leave that tacky feeling finish. Regards. Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Thanks guys for writing! :D

I feel embarassed now by using the Standard Pecards for my Goatskin, lol. I have used the hair dryer method and the jacket seems less "damp" for sure now. But, do you think that the Standard Pecards treated my Goatskin jacket okay or not, or do you think that I should buy the jell and re-do the entire jacket again? One last question, can the Standard Pecards be used on a Lambtouch cowhide? I have a few non-Indy / Wested leather items in my home made out of Lambtouch Cowhide, so is Standard Pecards safe to use on that leather? Thank you for writing!

Highest Regards,
Captain D
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I recommend the standard dressing on cowhide, like the new finish (though I still lean more toward the jell, or even the motorcycle leather lotion for the new finish myself), or renewing any distressed cowhide. DO NOT USE ON LAMBTOUCH COWHIDE!! Did I type that loud enough. (grins) Use the motorcycle leather lotion on the lambtouch cowhide or lambskin. No, your goatskin is perfectly protected, and you don't have to do another thing to your jacket. Regards. Michaelson
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Hey there Michaelson!

Thank you for writing! I'll have to get me some of the Pecards Jell, it definitely sounds more effective and effecient for my leather items. Thanks again!

Highest Regards,
Captain D
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

More than happy to help, my friend. Regard. Michaelson
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

Hey Michaelson:

Did you, or someone else once tell us that the Motorcycle
lotion was the same as the regular lotion from Pecards, just
with a different name.

I have some of the regular lotion, in the 32 oz size, and it kinda
has the same consistancy as hand cream you buy for humans. :D
With a slightly off white color to it. Is this the same as the motorcycle
lotion you speak of?

I know the jell is just the regular Pecards paste without the wax,
and the jell is clear, with hardly any color to it, and the paste has
a yellowish color to it.

Just wondering...

Flathead
Michaelson
Knower of Things

That's it

Post by Michaelson »

The lotion you have is the motorcycle leather lotion, and is just like Lexol. You describe the other two right on the money. Regards. Michaelson