LC dimensions?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

matei
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

LC dimensions?

Post by matei »

Hi all,

Does anyone know the approximate brim dimensions for the LC hat?
hp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hp »

I have an HJ of 2005 which is considered to have LC dimensions.
The brim is 7.5 cm front and back, sides are 6.5 cm - so it's quite a dimensional cut.
You might have a look into the thread "An AB Deluxe in Venice...". Follow the link to some pictures of my AB Deluxe which got the same dimensions as my HJ.

Cheers
HP
matei
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by matei »

Thanks for the info.

Steve made me a wonderful Adventurebilt with a LC bash; however at the time I asked him to leave the brim pretty wide because I thought it would be too narrow for my face.

I was wrong!

I decided to trim it down a wee bit on my own, however it is still wide.

Next time I order an Adventurebilt I'll let Steve bash it as he sees fit, without my meddling in the process!
hp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hp »

matei wrote:Thanks for the info.

Steve made me a wonderful Adventurebilt with a LC bash; however at the time I asked him to leave the brim pretty wide because I thought it would be too narrow for my face.

I was wrong!

I decided to trim it down a wee bit on my own, however it is still wide.

Next time I order an Adventurebilt I'll let Steve bash it as he sees fit, without my meddling in the process!
I guess this happens to everbody ordering a hat online - at least if it's the first one.
Screen accurate dimensions - even scaled to your hat size - is fine. But only on Ford's head with Ford's face.
I was lucky to have a very patient hatter because it took me several attempts to find the right bash and brim to fit my face.

Cheers
HP
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Personally, I will accept the first account that Mr Swales gave(he later changed the specs per the letter Dakota posted a long time ago). The first specs he gave, and this was after the last film was made was 2 3/4 x 2 1/2. That looks right to me. I also feel the Raiders brim dimensions were just a bit larger, and David Garrison has more or less verified this in his studies of the Raiders fedora. Remember, the original Poet came with a 3 inch brim. Mr Swales mentioned taking some off of the sides, but never the front or back. And, all of the Swales HJs I have seen had the sides cut by hand. Now, by observing many of his cuts, I can tell you, he just cut some off, and there was no consistency at all in what he cut off. I feel that the various HJs used in the films were not all identical in brim size, due to this. Just my opinion. Fedora
matei
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by matei »

From the hundreds of pictures I've seen, I would agree with what you say. In some shots, one side looks slightly wider than the other, or slightly uneven. I think it adds to the "charm" of the hats in the film.

In the end I trimmed the brim down a bit more (still wider than the LC specs here) and it looks fab.

I have to add that this "Venice Pier" inspired fedora that Steve made for me is a wonderful hat. The hat has been laughing at all the rain we are getting lately. I've been doused pretty good about 3 or 4 times in the past two weeks, and no sign of the dreaded taper whatsoever!

This is by far my favourite lid, I wear it more than any others. Not only because it holds up to the weather, but above all - because it looks great!