Thoughts on Stetson temple

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana George
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Thoughts on Stetson temple

Post by Indiana George »

Hi Guys,
Last year I bought an Akubra fed deluxe and bashed it myself and it turned out great. I really like the hat but I must admit the felt is fairly thick.
I like the hat , don't get me wrong but here's the thing, I'm not a big guy and the hat is fairly big so it kinda looks big on me. Today I went to a hat store and tried on the Stetson Temple (I know the story) I gotta say I liked it on me a whole lot better than my fed deluxe. The brim is perfect for my face and the top part is not so tall that it looks uneven to my face and head shape.
The band is kinda wide and I may have that changed soon but other than that I love it. I like the felt on this hat a lot better, it has a more smooth sheen that I was after and I like the color better. The pinch isn't right put is there any way to change that? I may sell my fed but I'm not sure, I've only worn it a few times. So what is the common perception about the Stetson temple, does anyone else have one? Thanks

George
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

Hey, I've got a Stetson Temple and I like it a lot! no matter what everyone else says. And liking what you've got is what this is all about. I rebashed mine several times to get the look I finally have with it, which a lot of gearheads saw a while back and liked until I told them it was a Stetson. Oh well. The main thing with rebashing the Temple is to pinch it higher in the front and lower in the back.
Good Luck
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

It may suit you,
just dont get caught in the rain. The akubra may seem stiff
at first, but it gets really soft. Just keep your hat and
wear it a while.
Adam
Indiana George
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana George »

Any chance I could see those pics? Thanks

George
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Here are the phases I put my stetson through.
The top pic is right out of the box.
The bottom is what it looks like now.
BTW I've been caught in the rain with no adverse effects.
If you can't see these pics try looking here http://inexpensivejones.blogspot.com/
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

I bought a Stetson Temple in the early 1990's. I really loved just about everything about the hat except the interior head band. Mine was made out of some kind of vinyl backed with a thin strip of cardboard. It didn't breath at all or ever really conform to my head the way a leather band does. As I said, I loved the hat and wore it in all kinds of weather. Sadly, it did not age well. The head band I described eventually just fell apart, flaked apart actually. The hat has also shrunk tremendously. Now, I can't even wear it even though my head size has not changed. The taper has become extreme. Again, I'm speaking of a Temple from the early 90's, maybe they're different today. Getting what YOU like is the most important thing. Just be aware that the hat you like may change on you if it's not solidly constructed of good materials. Put some miles on the Akubra. I think you'll find that it'll soft up with wear. Great pics by the way!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Stetson hats seem to be hit-or-miss on the rain durability, so keep that in mind. Most people stay away from the Temple, I think, because it's not screen accurate and because there are more durable hats available. That said, there's nothing wrong with the Temple. If you want to change the pinch, put some spring water in a spray bottle (cold), and dampen the area you want to change (not soaked). Then reshape with your hands. You may have to hold it in place a while. I found my Stetson responded well to cold water.
CJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I wore Stetson's for years. The last one I owned I was wearing in a rainstorm, and got the hat so soaked, the powdered dye released, sending a cascade of brown colored water down my face between my eyes.

What ever you do, do NOT get any Stetson wet, and I'm meaning rain soaked. You'll regret it, as they do not dye their felts in process, but afterwards with powdered dyes.

Regards! Michaelson
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What if you've scotchguarded it? Does that make a difference?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's what I did, and if you're in a misty rain, or in and out, no problem....but a downpour, it won't help that much.

Regards! Michaelson
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

What if you wrapped in entirely in duct tape? or what if you gave it a shower before wearing? Would that help keep it from bleeding? (not really looking into a temple myself, but am curious).
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Why would you bother to go through all that, knowing it's going to bleed color, and taper to the shape of a dunce cap upon drying? :-s

It's a fair weather dress hat, plain and simple.

Regards! Michaelson
jeboat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jeboat »

I took a new modified Stetson (I had Art change the sweat to leather and I changed the hatband to a horsehair band) in Silverbelly to the UK on vacation two weeks ago. The weather cooperated mostly but we did have a downpour one day. My Stetson got soaked even though I had put several coats of Scotchgard on it as a precaution.

The hat kept its shape and I let it air dry overnight. No problem, the hat was fine as well as a little softer.

I could have worn any number of better quality (and more expensive) hats but with all the security problems there right now I didn't want to risk losing a good hat to some over zealous guard.

My hat is off to a surprisingly good modernStetson.

jeboat :) :) :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You're talking about a modified western felt Stetson. Completely different animal than the Temple felt, which is the powder dyed stuff.

Regards! Michaelson
jeboat
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Modified Western Stetson

Post by jeboat »

I should have mentioned that the hat in question is not a western hat. It is a C-crown, pinched front, snap brimmed hat with a 2 3/4 inch brim. I think I got this one on EBay. It came in a box with a Greely Hat Works label on the outside.

jeboat :lol: :lol: :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Never said it was a western hat. I said western felt. :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
Indydawg

Brown Rain

Post by Indydawg »

Now-that strikes me as a pretty funny image right there-Michaelson with a river of brown running down your face. You probably looked like you'd just evaded a pack of Hovitos and dove into the river to get away :wink:

How you doin', stranger?!

Man, it took me a long time to get back to "the world", but I'm back!

And lookin' for a new hat, and some Aldens. Any ideas-leads?

Take it easy, bro!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Good Lord! Now I KNOW it's close to Halloween! The WALKING DEAD HAVE ARISEN!!!!!!! :shock: :lol:

HEY, there Dawg!!! How in the WORLD have you been???!!!! :D

HIGHEST regards!!

Michaelson
Indydawg

LOL!!

Post by Indydawg »

:lol:

Not bad, my friend, not bad at all. The walking dead could not be a more accurate description, though. It's been a ROUGH last few months. I'll tell you all about it this afternoon when I get "done" for the day.

Thanks for the warm reception! It's really good to "talk" to you!
Later, man!
Indydawg
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:tup:

Regards! Michaelson