Breaking In a Wested For Dummies

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

...not that any of us are "dummies," except for maybe me.

I'd like to have this thread be sort of a guide to how one breaks in their jackets, or makes it look more "Indy." I think my jacket is coming along fine, but I've always heard of little tricks and things that people do to their jackets and some of them are pretty interesting. I'll edit this as more come in, making it a sort of guide.

If you have a trick for breaking in your jacket or making it look more "Indy," then post it here, with a brief description of how to do it, and what it accomplishes for you. They can be anything from sleeping in it to wearing it through the rain. What do you do to your jacket?

Thanks!

In Christ,
Shane

How to Break In A Wested

1. Take the jacket and scrunch / ball it up while not wearing it, and leave it in the closet, or underneath a mattress.
The result: This gives the jacket those little waves in the leather, the crinkles, and such that make it look less 'pristine.'

2. Wear it to bed!

3. Wear it in the rain and wear it while it dries. Pecard afterwards.
The result: Helps the fit!

4. Spin it in the dryer with NO heat.
The result: Drapes nicer, gets a little more loose.

5. Wear it, and don't baby it.

6. Lay it on small smooth rocks (with empty pockets) and stand on it, twisting your feet. (Make sure to check for glass, sticks, etc first).
The result: Doesn't really leave scratches but works great for dulling the shine that makes fine leather look like plastic and softens up the jacket.

7a. Place jacket under hot water in a shower, while trying to avoid wetting the lining and knits. Wipe dry, air dry, or preferably wear immediatley and a nice grain will start to show. Pecard afterwards.
7b. More drastic: fill tub with hot water and soak jacket for a few minutes to an hour, knead the leather for further softening. Set aside several days to dry. Pecard afterwards.
Do not let satin lining crease - difficult to remove.
Last edited by McFly on Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

At the FL, Tone suggested that I scrunch it into a ball and leave it in the closet when not being worn. This gives the jacket those little waves in the leather, the crinkles, and such that make it look less 'pristine'. I took it a step further and bunched it into a ball, then stuck in under the mattress. Creams and such help, too. Makes the leather supple, and keeps it from drying out.

Of course, there is the un-Michaelson way of artificial distress, but that's a matter of choice.

The BEST way to 'break in' a jacket is to just WEAR it!! Take up Geocaching!! That'll distress and break in a jacket! Trust me!
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

Go drinking with a bunch of high energy college kids and suggest that you all 'walk home'. By the time you get there, you'll have swam in rivers, swung off of road signs, and all kinds of things that artifically, yet naturally, distress your jacket.

I suppose if you are brave you could skip the drinking part and go straight to the after part...:P

Cheers
Craig
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sergei suggested wearing it to bed a couple nights. Won't make you popular with your sponse, but apparently it did wonders for his goatskin.

Regards! Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I suppose if you are brave you could skip the drinking part and go straight to the after part...Razz
Less dragging against the paving that way... :)

Get caught in a frog-strangler and wear your jacket while it dries. It does wonders for the fit. Pecard well afterwards. Spinn it in the drier, no heat. Nice and comfy for you, less for the jacket. This applies to my goat at least.

Regards,
Swindiana
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

What the Swedish gentleman said. Worked as a charm for my Wested lamb too. Downpour and tumble. Repeat if necessary. 8)
Gobler
Vendor

Post by Gobler »

Zip it up, put it in a laundry bag and throw it in the dryer. Set it on AIR/NO HEAT and tumble it for a few days. I did 8 cycles a day for 4 days. My goat loosed up nicely. It's not weathered but just looser and drapes better :tup:

Cheers,
Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tastes awful. I wouldn't recommend it. =; :lol: :wink:

Regard! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Boy, your taste buds have REALLY gone down hill since you moved up North! :shock: :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Hey, I saw this book in a Barnes and Noble Bookstore a couple of weeks ago. I didn't buy it though. It was too short of a book to pay the price they were asking for it.

I read it while I was there in the store and I even memorized it with my Bufflehead photographic memory. It said, "Wear it." And, it was written by some famous knower of all things by the name of Michaelson.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I'd have to agree, wear the heck out of it,...what happens happens,..and don't baby it. Anything that happens to it will ad character. The only other thing I do to my non "fake" distressed Westeds, is an alcohol rubdown on the goatskin, because it is too shiny for my taste.
'Blues
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Michaelson wrote:Tastes awful. I wouldn't recommend it. =; :lol: :wink:
Hey... Pecard doesn't exactly taste like pumpkin pie either. Trust me. 8)
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

Drag behind a moving truck with it on? :-k #-o
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Scandinavia Jones wrote:
I second that... It could be a hit mixed together though. :-k

Cool new avatar, btw.

Regards,
Swindiana
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Scandinavia Jones wrote:
You didn't bake it long enough. :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Bake the jacket?

I didn't expect that type of jacket treatment coming from you my friend. :shock:

Oh, wait... The Pecard's. Now that I would. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

I used the drier method after wearing it for a few months. It wasn't broken in enough so I put it in the drier(no heat) threw several tennis balls in with it and checked it every 10 minutes to make sure it wasn't getting ruined. It's been in for a total of an hour and a half and is very soft now. I plan to throw it in again this season and may add more tennis balls too. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Swindiana wrote:Bake the jacket?

I didn't expect that type of jacket treatment coming from you my friend. :shock:

Oh, wait... The Pecard's. Now that I would. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
:lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Michaelson wrote: You didn't bake it long enough. :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
That much is true. Sampled it straight out of the can. :mrgreen:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Holy cow! I didn't expect to get more than maybe 10 replies. Woohoo for me!

Thanks guys - I've edited the top post to include all the (serious) answers so far. :lol: Keep em comin if you've got em!

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

Wear it everywhere, I wore mine to sleep when I first got it, wore it in the rain, and wore it dry, has well has the drier method, I also try to climb a mountain once a week with my jacket on, Its been rubbed against all kinds of rough surfaces, but all the time always giving it plenty of leather dressing, It's been a year, and my jacket is starting to look like an indy jacket.
independent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by independent »

Michaelson wrote:Sergei suggested wearing it to bed a couple nights. Won't make you popular with your sponse, but apparently it did wonders for his goatskin.
but what about his jacket

(edit: just kidding)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

IndyMcFly wrote:Holy cow! I didn't expect to get more than maybe 10 replies. Woohoo for me!

Thanks guys - I've edited the top post to include all the (serious) answers so far. :lol: Keep em comin if you've got em!

In Christ,
Shane
So, you didn't think my answer was a serious one. :shock: I'll have you know that my answer was "wear it", and three out of the five responses that you posted start with the words "wear it". #-o They are all copying my idea. :evil:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Okay, so Gator posted "wear it" before me. Forget about Gator, it's still my idea. He just copied off of my paper and types faster than me.

...... :-k ......Ummmm......So, I said I read it in a book written by Michaelson. Forget about that, I lied. I made that stuff up. It's still my idea. 8)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Your answer was in #5. I didn't want to put
"5. Wear it" and "6. Wear it and don't baby it"

I didn't count Farnham's as entirely serious, but it did sort of go along with the not babying it idea, so it's there too.

In Christ,
Shane
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

That was to placate me, I suppose. 8-[ Okay, I'm a happy camper, now. :D
Gobler
Vendor

Re: Breaking In a Wested For Dummies

Post by Gobler »

IndyMcFly wrote:...not that any of us are "dummies," except for maybe me.

In Christ,
Shane

How to Break In A Wested

1. Take the jacket and scrunch / ball it up while not wearing it, and leave it in the closet, or underneath a mattress.
The result: This gives the jacket those little waves in the leather, the crinkles, and such that make it look less 'pristine.'

2. Wear it to bed!

3. Wear it in the rain and wear it while it dries. Pecard afterwards.
The result: Helps the fit!

4. Spin it in the dryer with NO heat.
The result: Drapes nicer, gets a little more loose.

5. Wear it, and don't baby it.
:tup: So far these are the best methods sans chemicals or nitty gritty paper.

Cheers,
Jeff
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Swindiana wrote:
I suppose if you are brave you could skip the drinking part and go straight to the after part...Razz
Less dragging against the paving that way... :)

Get caught in a frog-strangler and wear your jacket while it dries. It does wonders for the fit. Pecard well afterwards. Spinn it in the drier, no heat. Nice and comfy for you, less for the jacket. This applies to my goat at least.

Regards,
Swindiana
Does this apply to wearing it and jumping into a shower for half an hour?
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

What a great way to waste water.
Swindiana wrote:Get caught in a frog-strangler and wear your jacket while it dries. It does wonders for the fit. Pecard well afterwards.
I have worn mine a couple of times in rain and after it and the jacket didn't need any Pecards.
Scandinavia Jones wrote:Hey... Pecard doesn't exactly taste like pumpkin pie either.
I love pumpkin pie.
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Then you'll probably hate Pecard. :P
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Well it felt pretty good, but petroleum distillates doesn't sound like an awesome ingredient for a pie.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You're just not used to American cuisine, VP......and don't start either. :shock: :lol: :wink:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Shawnkara
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shawnkara »

Here's my favorite method.....

It's very similar to how hides are artificially/"pre"distressed by manufacturers; the technique of running them through a drier or something with stones. Anyone can do this, because we all have a playground close by.

While at the playground (kids optional :lol: ) empty your jacket pockets and zip the jacket all the way up. Oh, take it off first :lol: Lay it flat in the small, smooth rocks around the play area equipment, stand on it and twist your feet back and forth for a while. Flip it over and repeat. Then, bury it with the rocks. Stand on the rocks and repeat the process.**VERY IMPORTANT** check the are you're going to use for sticks, broken glass or other debris. All you want are the small, smooth stones that are supposed to be there** It's a more gentle process than it sounds like; you're not griniding it on pavement, but on a soft surface that moves with the jacket. Like I said, it's very similar to factory predistressing. It's free, it's easy, it's quick and no harsh chemicals or sandpaper are needed. And anyone can do this very easily. It requires NO skill or creative ability, as do the chemical/sandpaper methods where you're doing one section at a time and trying to keep the whole jacket consitent. You're doing the whole jacket at once in a uniform fashion but because the surface moves at random you won't get any uniform or "directional" markings. It doesn't even really leave scratches, it just randomly removes the shine. It works great for dulling that shine that makes fine leather look like plastic. AND, it softens up the jacket, as with the "no heat dryer method". I've done this with three jackets; two Westeds and just yesterday a G&B goat. Works great every time.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I subscribe to the "wear it" school of thought. I just can't see deliberately damaging a brand new, CUSTOM leather jacket. I saw what acetone does, and it's a cool effect that doesn't seem to damage the leather. It just "distresses" the dye. I can understand that, after a few years, you'd want to break in a goatskin jacket, though.

I have a friend who can naturally distress ANY artiucle of clothing in about 2 weeks. Just by living his day-to-day life! :lol: My very own distressing machine.
C
rikitiki
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by rikitiki »

Hot water method! 1. Place jacket under hot water in a shower, while trying to avoid wetting the lining and knits. Wipe dry, air dry, or wear immediatley and a nice grain will start to show. 2. More drastic: fill tub with hot water and soak jacket for a few minutes to an hour, knead the leather for further softening. Set aside several days to dry.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

IndyMcFly wrote:Your answer was in #5. I didn't want to put
"5. Wear it" and "6. Wear it and don't baby it"

I didn't count Farnham's as entirely serious, but it did sort of go along with the not babying it idea, so it's there too.

In Christ,
Shane
We canucklheads have a manner of speaking all our own, eh. But yes, 'don't baby it' was the message--the rest just makes not babying it more fun :D

Cheers

Craig
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

rikitiki wrote:Hot water method! 1. Place jacket under hot water in a shower, while trying to avoid wetting the lining and knits. Wipe dry, air dry, or wear immediatley and a nice grain will start to show. 2. More drastic: fill tub with hot water and soak jacket for a few minutes to an hour, knead the leather for further softening. Set aside several days to dry.
Holy moley! Dude... you've done that to your jacket? :shock: As long as it works, I guess. Probably not the best thing for a new gearhead to try - wow. Got pictures? :D

Farnham - Yeah, I got it. Nothing like a twofour and some back bacon or maybe even some jellies to get your distressing started, eh? Beauty.

In Christ,
Shane
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Don't wet your satin lining and leave it crumpled, the creases are hard to get out afterwards.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Take your jacket,bury it in the sand for a thousand years.. :wink:
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

IndyMcFly wrote: Farnham - Yeah, I got it. Nothing like a twofour and some back bacon or maybe even some jellies to get your distressing started, eh? Beauty.

In Christ,
Shane
Attaboy ;) :D

Cheers
Craig
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

rikitiki wrote:Hot water method! 1. Place jacket under hot water in a shower, while trying to avoid wetting the lining and knits. Wipe dry, air dry, or wear immediatley and a nice grain will start to show. 2. More drastic: fill tub with hot water and soak jacket for a few minutes to an hour, knead the leather for further softening. Set aside several days to dry.
I have tried this with my goatskin.....you have to wear it while it dries (takes a long time). When it dries it is very very stiff and needs a couple of pecard treatments to get that softness back, but BOY DOES IT LOOK GREAT!
-GC
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Alrighty - added the hot water tub/shower method to the list above. We're at 7b! :lol: I'm not adding anything about the acetone because I'm not talking about artificial distressing but more like artificial breaking in. I suppose they are verrry similar, both making it look like the jacket is older and more worn, but we're not trying to make it look like it's scratched or faded, just so it drapes better, has less shine, etc. etc.

I just keep sleeping in it. I think it's looking pretty good.

In Christ,
Shane
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

No, No, No! All you need do is follow my simple method...

Step 1. Purchase the jacket :D
Step 2. Put the jacket on and zip it up :lol:
Step 3. Tell your spouse about your newest addition and how much it cost. :shock:
Step 4. Hold real still :(
Step 5. Let your significant other beat the snot out of you :cry:
and thats it. When you come to you will have a woderfully distressed jacket.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Those of you who've gone through the rain in your jacket (or showered in it), how long does it take to dry? Have you gotten the liner wet?

:D

In Christ,
Shane
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I don't know, I just put it in the closet and the next time I use it's dry.
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

Leave the jacket unattended around an inquisitive kitten for that "clawed" look. (Seriously, DON'T leave it around your cats with claws)

I just wear mine and toss it in a corner.

Be careful if you've got a full satin lining, though. After five years, mine's basically worn out. Go with cotton and the inner wear will match the outer wear a lot better.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hmmm... okay. Yeah it's pretty much dry, but the shine is still there. It's just a little more wrinkly, and more stiff. I need some Pecards lotion. Anybody got some extra? :)

In Christ,
Shane
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

If you're rocking a goat wested then the only thing that's going to take the shine off in your lifetime is rubbing alcohol or acetone. That or standing outside in a sandstorm. Lamb westeds have much less of a shine and after being caught in a few downpours you'll be looking a lot less new.

Best advice, wear it, a lot, all the time. Wear it whenever the weather (whatever the weather) allows. In fact, where it sometimes when the weather doesn't allow (as in when it's too warm in gettysburg but you just won't take off your wested). Don't be afraid to rub up against some brick or concrete walls. Spread your jacket out on the ground and sit on it if you're out in a park or something. Use it, and it'll start looking like an Indy jacket.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Talking about sandstorms, has anyone tries rubbing a jacket with handfuls of clean sand (like kids play sand), it might leave some fine sand residue (like fullers earth) and it might gently remove shine.
RichardSK
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RichardSK »

Have a look at the gear care section under Wested lambskin and you will find my method for a four month old jacket.