New Fed arrived-pics.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

New Fed arrived-pics.

Post by mark seven »

Hi everyone,just recieved my new Fed regular,I was a bit nervous about doing my first bash but I am quite happy with the results-also took 1/8 inch off the brim to fit my face..what do you think? Image Image
Last edited by mark seven on Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

VERY nice! Change nothing!!! Just wear it, and it will take on YOUR personality!!

GREAT job!!!! :clap: :D

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Indycraze71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycraze71 »

Perfecto-mundo!!! :D If only I did as good of a job on my first Fed. Looks great! Wear it with pride.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Got any straight shots from a distance? Tried the turn yet? Well done with the bash. :tup:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Mark Seven,

It looks great to me, but Indiana Tone is the Fed guru around here. He already said it looks terrific. And, you got a thumbs up from VP and that is sayin' somethin'. Congratulations.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks everyone for all your kind comments,I'm so impressed by the quality of a fed,I love this hat!,VP-I put a little bit of a turn in-maybe more on the next one :wink: ,here's a bit wider.. Image
dr. tyree
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

smooth!

Post by dr. tyree »

Mark, that is a great looking fedora. I have been wearing my Fed almost every day for a month and it just keeps getting better. You are going to love it.

tyree
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Mark,

Looks good...I think you could maybe take a bit more off the brim, but still looks good as is. I've been thinking about trimming down the brim on my Fed Deluxe, since the brim is a bit too wide for my face. Seeing your pics, I think I may just go ahaead & do it!How did you trim the brim? I'm a bit hesitant to take the scissors to it...
~Jace
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Super job! How did you get the brim to loosen up?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

WOW!!! You did a fantastic job on that hat! What size is it? I wonder if you have one of the "better block" sizes. My Akubra never looked so good.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I own a Fed. Deluxe and after seeing how good his regular Fed. looks I'm left wondering what is the distinct advantage of owning the Deluxe over the regular.......is it just the felt or something?

The bash you did does look fantastic and it was your first time as well. You should be proud. :D
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Hi everyone,Tyrloch,I'm a bit reluctant to take any more off the brim because I want my hat to be a little bit wider than my ordinary fedora but not overpowering..such a delicate balance!,I used nail scissors to trim it- just 1/8 inch all around-I didn't use chalk just by eye and then I used a nail file emery board to smooth the edge.Lao,I used a little bit of steam on the brim to loosen it up,Bink,the size is a 56.Thanks guys! :D
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Mark,

As I said, it reallhy does look good the way it is, just that you could take a bit more off if you had wanted to. Size 56, huh? Same size I have! If I get up the guts, I may try to trim 1/8" or so off mine -- I'm a bit hesitant since I've never been able to cut in a straight line with scissors!!

~Jace
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

haha i thought you meant nail clippers at first :oops:

Great job my friend.

How'd you manage to curl up the brim?

Any tricks or tips helpful.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I agree with Tyrloch, that you might take a bit more off the sides. Looks a little too wide IMO.

Pitfall, I think the wool is the only difference. I've got a Fed Deluxe as well. It has a more brown color and the felt is supposedly better.
Kaleponi Craig
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kaleponi Craig »

Very nice job, it looks terrific...KC
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Harrison,I didn't have to do much curling,I found that just by putting the turn in instantly gave a nice curl on the left hand side and the rest was just helping it along, fiddling with it everytime I put it on(which was every 5 minutes! :wink: )-I only used steam on the front brim,the rest was dry-bashing.when it arrived it was quite loose and I thought I might have to send it back but after a few days it has tightened up nicely and fits great.I knew I had to take some off the brim staight away-Tyrloch,I don't think I breathed as I did it..it was a scary thing to do but it instantly made it look a lot better,I found the fed felt very easy to cut and then smooth.Indydoc,I did want a nice wide brim and I don't feel uncomfortable with the width now(2 1/2 inches on the sides)but I'm going to wear it for a while and see how I feel,thanks again everyone..time to have some adventures! :D
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Looks fantastic!!!
IndyFlyer
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFlyer »

Looks great as is, wear it in for a while. You are really going to enjoy that hat!
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I decided to take just another 1/8 inch off the sides-and by jove I think it works!-thanks everyone for kind comments and advice..now I'm going to relax and enjoy my new hat! :D
Last edited by mark seven on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Looks better! I just took 3/8" off my Fed. Deluxe, & I love the way it came out! I used a scoring tool that's used to score a line in metal -- it has a measuring gauge so you can put a line at 1/8", 1/4" or whatever amount you like. I originally was going to use it to put the line on the hat where I wanted it to be cut, but then I noticed that it was cutting through the felt, so I kept going around til it cut all the way through. I really think those of us who either have a smaller hat size or a narrower face need a narrower brim -- or else it winds up looking like you're wearing a cowboy hat instead of a fedora!! Once again, nice job, Mark & thanks for the incentive to cut my own Akubra!!

~Jace
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

Wow! I envy you guys... I'd freak out if I have to cut my Fed's brim... but then again, that's what I said about my cutting the original straps of my vintage MKVII bag... :roll:
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

It's something you get used to, Kalkamel.
I've cut at least nine brims, not necessarily nine different hats but i've made at least this many cuts over the years. Narrow face, you know.
Nowadays I just pick up the hat in one hand, the scissors in the other and jump straight into cutting without hestitation. 30 seconds later and you're done. :wink:
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I actually cut my brim twice to get 3/8" off it. I started with 1/4", then after seeing that it still looked a bit too wide, I took an additional 1/8" off. I could probably take one more 1/8" off, but it might end up being too much, so I think I'll just leave it the way it is...

~Jace
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

mark seven wrote:I decided to take just another 1/8 inch off the sides-and by jove I think it works!-thanks everyone for kind comments and advice..now I'm going to relax and enjoy my new hat! :D Image
The brim looks right, and the hat is great. The color will become better with time, as well. Nice Jacket, too. Cowhide?

Chewie
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Pitfall Harry wrote:I own a Fed. Deluxe and after seeing how good his regular Fed. looks I'm left wondering what is the distinct advantage of owning the Deluxe over the regular.......is it just the felt or something?
The felt on the deluxe is higher quality, but I've heard it isn't pounced as well as the regular Fed. The big selling point, though, is that the felt and ribbon are more accurate in color. I've thought about it, but for accuracy I'm getting the AB. At any rate, both Feds are excellent hats, from what I've seen.
Chewie
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
The brim looks right, and the hat is great. The color will become better with time, as well. Nice Jacket, too. Cowhide?
Thanks Chewie,the jacket is FS chrome Goat(my autumn/winter jacket! )
Lao Feng
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lao Feng »

Hi Mark Seven-- Thanks for the tip on using the steam to loosen the brim. Should have known! As #1 daughter would have, "Triple Duh, Dad!" The hat looks great (I'm a small size myself, 55 Fed Reg) and the jacket is superb! What size is that jacket you are sporting? Looking good all around! Cheers -- Lao Feng
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks Lao,the jacket is a size 38-I'm a 36 but I deliberately went a size larger for this jacket because I wanted a winter jacket and I knew I was going to be wearing a jumper or fleece underneath and it works fine-with a thick jumper on(and MKVII)it fits nice and snug,this Goat is tough as nails!..next jacket will be an authentic brown Wested lamb, ready for the spring! :D
soulman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by soulman »

WOW :D Great job!! that is one nice hat. Enjoy.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hey bro, great lookin hat you got there. I remember when I got my Akubra I took off like an eighth too... a few weeks later I realized I still wasn't happy with it and did like a fourth. That was almost 2 years ago, and just a few months ago I took off another eighth. I think there were some other times too - but now I think it looks really great on my head - us skinny guys gotta fix our brims... what a hassle, huh?

:wink:

Congratulations!

Here's my Akubra:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v295/ ... olored.jpg
Normally I like a little bit more curl in the brim than that. The right side is a little more curled than the left there, and that amount is good for me.

Again though - great hat. You'll love it!!

In Christ,
Shane
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Thanks guys!, IndyMcfly your hat looks great..very SOC(is that sand on the hat or just a blur on the photo?)- it's still going strong after 2 years?,that's good to hear.Here's to us skinny guys! :wink: :D
CHAUVEL
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by CHAUVEL »

Mark Seven, for a first effort at a bash and trim- outstanding i reckon. It looks like YOUR hat, not someone elses. If you were concerned at too large a fit, don't be, foam cures that problem, as well as the fact that a felt hat always wants to shrink a little, best remedy is to wear it a lot, and it maintains size and fit and importantly becomes part of you. I have been wearing the same federation everyday for three years and and i see it going for many more, well done cheers chauvel.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Mark Seven, congratulatons on the new fedora! :P Looks magnificent on you! :clap:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

M Seven - It's actually Fuller's Earth (that just won't come off!).

And yeah - the Akubra really does hold up well. It's great. It's been through a good amount of rain and shine, and it's still going strong.

In Christ,
Shane
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: New Fed arrived-pics.

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Fantastic hat MVII - don't change a thing!

Yes it's scary cutting a brim for the first time!

A great way to trim, in my opinion, first use scissors to get the rough size, then smooth the jagged line with a men's razor (not cut throat obviously). Initially it will fluff up a bit but use a damp cloth to remove excess fluff. You might want to cut it wider than your chalk line, then use the razor to finish the job neatly.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

yeah, I ended up chopping off my fed III brim too, I think just under 1/4" more cutting wouldn't hurt on your lid, but that's my opinion.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

That was my first fed(and first proper Indy hat),I have fond memories of that hat-sadly long gone now.
Last edited by mark seven on Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Oh yeah, that was dated 2006 not 2009! Oops! :oops:

Have you posted any more pics of your latest feds?

Also have you got your AB Henry yet? I'm dying to get an AB (or an AB Delux if I win the lottery) but the waiting time just seems ridiculous.

Does anyone know how long the wait for an AB Henry is?
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Almost nothing, if you order it through Penman.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=41070&hilit=first+ab+retailer
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Nice one Ranger 36.

Is it the same price? Speaking of which, how much is the Henry and can Penman bash it?
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

No idea.
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

No prob - bu thanks for the heads up about going through Penman :TOH:
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

You're very welcome.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Since you are in the U.K. you could just as easily buy it from Marc and Stefan at ABD: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39106

Regards, Geert
Travelsonic
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Travelsonic »

Lookin' good! :clap: