"Ford Felt"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

"Ford Felt"

Post by Strider »

I just noticed this about my AB. I got a haircut today, so the hat was a tad loose on me, so I popped that piece of foam that came with my Akubra to tighten it up a tad, and I noticed that on the other side of the sweat was a hat number and a date, with the words "Ford Felt", and Steve's name printed.

I guess I have a hat from Harry's run of felt! Maybe some of you do, too!
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

Well spotted....you hid that well Steve.
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

Mine just came today and has the same type of writing on the inside band. Thanks for pointing this out Strider as I surely would have missed it until much later if I noticed it at all. I'll roll on over to your AB thread and throw some pics up. I love it!
Fletch
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

cool
sadly i think i missed the ford felt window
maybe i was lucky last
only patience and the mailman van provide me withan answer
sam
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Let's just hope that Harrison ends up with one of the "Ford Felts" too.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

moses wrote:Let's just hope that Harrison ends up with one of the "Ford Felts" too.
haha dont count on that;) unless one of you guys bumps in to him and hands one over
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'll be wearing mine when I go to Jackson Hole in October. If I bump into him, I'll at show him what one looks like. 8) :wink:

Regards !Michaelson
greatgarlando
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by greatgarlando »

Just checked my band and I have a Ford felt edition also Woooooo Hoooooo
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Currently being torn in 20 directions, at once! (As usual ....)

Post by Modern Jones »

Hey all.

I haven't been on the board in a while. What is the Ford Felt? Is it from an original run of felt? Is it 100% beaver, etc.?

I am soooooooo curious.

Regards,

MJ
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Ford Felt is the kind of stuff Steve used in a hat sent to Harrison Ford. Just the regular stuff I think, possibly with more pouncing etc.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

It's actually softer and denser than the standard felt.

Regards! Michaelson
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Modern Jones »

I have to wipe the drool off the keyboard now! :shock:

Thanks VP. Very good to know!

Michaleson, first, how are you? Second, how does it compare to the vintage felt that we have? Color, density, etc.

MJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You too, old friend!!! :D

It's not QUITE as dense in feel as my 1919 mercury felt AB, but the 'feel' IS definitely there, and it is as soft and has the same 'give' as that vintage felt. It's definiltely different in feel than the standard AB beaver felt, though.....at least mine is when compared to my standard AB's.

If one hasn't really handled a honest to gosh vintage felt fedora, it's hard to decribe....isn't it? :?

Regards! Michaelson
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

VP wrote:Ford Felt is the kind of stuff Steve used in a hat sent to Harrison Ford. Just the regular stuff I think, possibly with more pouncing etc.
actually it wasnt sent to harrison ford , just some guy who claimed to know ford and some other things

he recentley asked to be banned here ! I find it all very suspicious.

the hat presentation gig , i think never took place.
but that just a hunch
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Modern Jones »

Michaelson wrote:You too, old friend!!! :D

It's not QUITE as dense in feel as my 1919 mercury felt AB, but the 'feel' IS definitely there, and it is as soft and has the same 'give' as that vintage felt. It's definiltely different in feel than the standard AB beaver felt, though.....at least mine is when compared to my standard AB's.

If one hasn't really handled a honest to gosh vintage felt fedora, it's hard to decribe....isn't it? :?

Regards! Michaelson
I do drool regularly, that had nothing to do with the hat! :wink:

I absolutely love my vintage AB. I ordered it a smidge too big from Fedora thinking it might shrink a little like my Akubra. Wrongo!!! :oops: It has stayed exactly like Steve made it. This was before the newer blocks, which I think we both got.

It's hard to describe, but when I compare that to my Akubra or PB Michaelson, I feel like those lids are heavy grit sandpaper. Those lids are great, but I won't part with the 1919 AB. (My avatar is my Akubra from 2002)

I was so curious about the Ford felt because I have never felt or seen a standard beaver AB. And was wondering how the Ford felt compared to the standard and the vintage. I should've known that the "Knower of Things" would ...... er ....... know! :lol:

I think Hemingway and Bink should pipe in on this one too. They've got the vintage and the standard. (Hemingway has a sharp grey too, I believe)

MJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Correct. Both our 1919 felts were from the same batch. You ordered big?! Since this is about as dense as the felt will ever get, I doubt it will EVER shrink. Did you ever think about sending it back to Steve for a reblock to the correct size?

Regards! Michaelson
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Is there any of that 1919 felt left? DOH! Never mind, I'm banned from AB. :? :wink:

TR
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I don't think there is, TR. It was a small group of bodies he found a couple years ago, and a few of us were in the right place at the right time.

Sorry. :(

Regards! Michaelson
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Story of my life. :? :wink:

TR
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Modern Jones, my regular AB is a pure beaver whereas the vintage felt is a beaver/nutria blend if I remember. (Please correct me if I'm wrong.) Whereas I've sent my regular back for a reblock (I have an early regular AB, for time reference) the vintage one still holds the shape it came with. The vintage felt is the floppier of the two and has just enough stiffener to keep the crown bash in place. It really is a hat of beauty.

Personally, I think my regular AB is a bit softer to the touch, but there's just something about the vintage felt which is hard to describe. I'm sure the mercury content has something to do with it. I had my vintage AB styled a bit LC with more of a 1920's fedora to it. It's got a tall crown with a slightly wider brim to it. Come to think of it, it reminds me a little of a young Indy hat with the relaxed pinch. If I had to chose between keeping one or the other, though, the vintage would stay no question.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

So what happened to the presentation piece?
Scam?
anyone some
info?
Sam
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

It seems like the only person that won't have Ford felt, is Harrison Ford. :shock: #-o
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Man, unbelievable. I hope the hats weren't sent out for free. :?

TR
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

They weren't sent out for free, I'm sure someone had to pay postage. #-o
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I really would like to know the final verdict behind that story. Was the guy a con artist, or was he for real?
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Maybe Fedora himself could shed some light?
sam
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I believe the announcement was made that if anyone would shed light on this whole thing, it would come from Fedora himself, if and when he chose to do so.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Should we take a vote? All in favor of "Con-artist" say 'Aye' :wink:

Aye!

TR
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Aye
also given his history of simular things on other types of forums... it was a no brainer.

maybe we should spam his emailbox
:D get back at him :twisted:
Modern Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Modern Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Correct. Both our 1919 felts were from the same batch. You ordered big?! Since this is about as dense as the felt will ever get, I doubt it will EVER shrink. Did you ever think about sending it back to Steve for a reblock to the correct size?

Regards! Michaelson
I thought you head grew larger as you got older, but mine is shrinking :shock: . I always thought I was a fathead. :lol:

I am going to reblock very soon. But I hope Fedora can handle "another" lid. I am so happy for him, but I redid one hat (ribbon and block) and that was a chore!
binkmeisterRick wrote:Modern Jones, my regular AB is a pure beaver whereas the vintage felt is a beaver/nutria blend if I remember. ... The vintage felt is the floppier of the two and has just enough stiffener to keep the crown bash in place. It really is a hat of beauty.

Personally, I think my regular AB is a bit softer to the touch, but there's just something about the vintage felt which is hard to describe. I'm sure the mercury content has something to do with it. I had my vintage AB styled a bit LC with more of a 1920's fedora to it. It's got a tall crown with a slightly wider brim to it. Come to think of it, it reminds me a little of a young Indy hat with the relaxed pinch. If I had to chose between keeping one or the other, though, the vintage would stay no question.
Hey Bink, it's nice to hear from you too! I can't agree more about the vintage felt either. I need to see some updated pics from your and Michaelsons collection. I have missed quite a bunch of conversations on the board the past 6 months too. Hope things are going well?!

This goes out to everyone! We should start a "Michaelson Digital Camera Fund". There has to be a cheap camera someone has that we can donate to Michaelson. Low resolution or not, that man needs to display his straw and all of the other lids he has!!! Not too mention the classic car! :wink: :D

MJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, that's not the problem. I HAVE a digital camera...problem is, the eldest daughter latched onto it for a college project, and I haven't been able to tackle her to get it back. It's one of those 'yeah, it belongs to Dad, but possession is 9/10 of the law." :roll: :lol:

So, we just have to be in the same place at the same time with the items I want photographed, and we'll be good to go. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Michaelson wrote:So, we just have to be in the same place at the same time with the items I want photographed, and we'll be good to go. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
"Dad... Mom says you've been dressed like that for the past week! Is there something wrong with the laundry machine?"

"Oh... no, nothing's wrong with it. See, we didn't know when to expect you."

In Christ,
Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:wink:

Regards! Michaelson