my new Morgan, black

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

my new Morgan, black

Post by winrichwhips »

Just got this 8 ft Morgan off of Ebay this week. I know black is not the Indy color, but hey, it's still a Morgan. This one is from 2000.

Below is a picture of a stockwhip I finished this week. I hope to use it to set a new record for the most stockwhip cracks in a minute. It's 4.5 ft long with a 19" handle.

-Adam, www.winrichwhips.com
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

WOW! Another impressive work of art, Adam. And YES, I'm talking about your stock whip. :lol:

Has work calmed down enough to start thinking of a tentative date for some Chicago whipcracking? Maybe Oktober?
Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

Nice...Ive always liked black whips, they seem sleeker to me.
ecwhips
Vendor

Post by ecwhips »

Sweet, Adam. BOTH of them! I saw that Morgan on Ebay as well, and if my financial situation wasn't what it is at the moment I would have gladly paid a couple of bucks for it. It looks a lot more solid than some of the more recent Morgans I've seen. Is it all that it appears?

I also see you have a bid in on the Zorro whip. Have you been able to see any pictures of the actual whip? I'm not saying it isn't the real deal, but I often wonder why people don't post pictures of the actual item when the auction is for such a "high ticket" item, like an offical Zorro whip.

Jim
jabahutt70
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jabahutt70 »

Nice-looking stockwhip, Adam! This may be a dumb question...but is there a current record for most cracks in a minute with a stockwhip? Also, just curious, but what are the whip specs requirements for that?

As Jim asked, I also was wondering about the quality of that black Morgan. It does appear a bit more solid & tight than more recent ones. What do you think of it?

Steve.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Agreed. Very cool whips, both of them.

Was your first record attempt with a stockwhip aswell? Can't remember as your "my space" only says "most cracks with a whip" in a minute. Though I've only tried bullwhips and no stockwhips yet I figure a stockwhip might be the best choice for doing fast multiple cracks. True?
Are the cracks all back-forward ones as you do it?

Anyhow... PM or email me anytime in case you need more Swedish stuff, for free. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Adam, Congratulations on the New Morgan. I had my eye on that and 6 ft that where up on eBay, but went after another whip instead. That’s a really nice looking one though. Beautiful stock whip too, very sleek and fast looking. Good luck with the record attempt. BTW Did you ever hear anything back from your attempt at the most cracks with a bullwhip yet?

Steve, I am pretty sure Andrew Thomas holds the stock whip record for the most cracks in a minute with a stock whip. He cracked it 232 times in one minute but I don’t know the specs required for the whip.

Dan
Indiana_Hall
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor
Location: Where ya gotta go north to get to the deep South....

Post by Indiana_Hall »

Adam,

First off, congrats to you on the Morgan - be it an Indy-style or not, it's still a sweet looking whip.

And as always, my hat is off to you. That stockwhip is an absolute beauty! Best of luck to you on the most stockwhip cracks record....

Highest Regards,
-Chris
winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

I would say that this black Morgan is definitely more solid than the new ones, and the plaiting is indeed neater and less cramped.

I did have another 8 ft Morgan made in 2000, which I traded to Bernardo. The braiding was nice in that whip, but I didn't like how it cracked. This whip is more robust and I like how it cracks.

The couple funny things with the whip are that the diameter is so large just after the handle (it's a little over an inch), and in the turk's head on the knob, the lace must've stretched down because the lace was worked a little further. So in a couple spots the knot is 4-laces wide instead of the regular 3.

The guy that had this whip said he cracked it for an hour and then put it in storage, putting Pecards on it occasionally. I figure he must not have cracked it a whole lot in that hour, since the cracker looks to be the first one tied onto the fall, and when I cracked it, the knot actually tightened up. There's also a fair bit of shellac left on the whip, all the way down to the fall hitches.

For specs on the 'most stock whip cracks in a minute', the handle has to be at least 19" long, the braided part of the whip between 4 1/2 ft and 6 ft, the fall at least 27", and the cracker at least 6". I made this whip as close as I could to all the minimum measurements.

I still haven't heard anything about my attempt last year to set a new 'bullwhip cracks in a minute' record, but I have started the process with Guinness to attempt that record again.

winrichwhips
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by winrichwhips »

Here's a bullwhip I finished today. This one goes out to all the Leonard Wheatley fans. This one has a steel cable anchored in the handle and the cable runs for the first 2 ft of the whip. It's 7 ft, 8-plait latigo, with one plaited belly.

Jim, I didn't see pics of the actual whip in that Zorro auction on Ebay. I was kind of hoping that since the person selling the whip didn't post actual pictures that the whip would go for less than if he had.

Swindy, I'm leaving for Sweden tomorrow, and I'll be spending some time in Stockholm and Goteborg. I doing a whip workshop for some circus performers this Thursday somewhere in Stockholm. I'll be there until Sept. 13.

Ripper
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ripper »

I like that one! I love those wood handle ones. Nice whip!