Renderking Loves the Cabela's shirt!!!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Renderking Loves the Cabela's shirt!!!

Post by Renderking Fisk »

This is my first Cabela shirt, so I don't know how it compares to the stone version they offered earlier.I was surprised when it arrived early; it was as if the management team reads Club OW and read my post that I was ordering one just to review. It took about two days to arrive and I didn’t ask for any special delivery… but here it is, “Priority Mail” cardboard box just a few feet away from my desk.

Right off the bat I could see why this shirt is so popular. It’s a heavier material then most dress shirts that I wear to work and it’s right up there with the new “Made in China” Safari shirts LL. Bean now provides. LL. Bean made a fine product for many years; I have one of the last “Made in America” safari shirts which has been one of my favorites of them all along with the latest “Made in China” which isn’t as good as the earlier version. The new LL. Bean safari shirts are close enough but the sleeves are a bit shorter then the earlier fair.

Right away my wife Carol told me that the shirt looks better on me then both the LL. Bean shirt and she’s looking forward to seeing how well it holds up after a wash.

This Cabela shirt has longer selves by a good quarter of an inch, and the body of the shirt is roomier compared to both LL. Bean Safari shirts. The price is right on these shirts, and you actually get more for the money- there’s just more too these Cabela shirts then the Made in China version LL. Bean now offers. This Cabela shirt also has a greater range of motion then the LL. Bean China shirts and won’t untuck all the way when you move your hands all the way up.

Both times I spilled water and coffee on the cuffs, both times the drops just beaded up and rolled off… but the shirt doesn’t feel as plastic or waxy as I would have thought with this Polly-blend.

LL. Bean still delivers fine products. I’m a huge fan of their chamois shirts that are always a joy to find under the tree each year, my favorite is a year old Olive one that I wear every weekend Fall, Winter and spring and sometimes on casual Friday and still looks brand new. Another favorite is the denim shirt I affectionately refer to as my Sierra Madre` shirt that’s similar to the one Bogart wore in the movie of that name. The quality of the Safari shirt by LL. Bean has slipped quite a bit but the Cabela shirt is an excellent replacement.
Last edited by Renderking Fisk on Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Fisk,

Thanks for the review! You mentioned sleeve length. Could you possibly touch base on the size of the shirt you received and relate it to your body frame? I'm trying to decide between medium or large.

Thanks,

I.J.
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

Rederking? Who's that? :lol:
Regards--Maryon
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

MaryonRavenwood wrote:Rederking? Who's that? :lol:
Regards--Maryon

Wooops
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Renderking Loves the Cabela's shirt!!!

Post by Cooler King »

Renderking Fisk wrote:This Cabela shirt also has a greater range of motion then the LL. Bean China shirts and won’t untuck all the way when you move your hands all the way up.

Music to my ears! Where can I get one? :D

So you're saying it's that new meterial that cannot be penitrated by spills and stains? Interesting. Thanks for the review Eric!
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Indiana Joe wrote:Fisk,

Thanks for the review! You mentioned sleeve length. Could you possibly touch base on the size of the shirt you received and relate it to your body frame? I'm trying to decide between medium or large.

Thanks,

I.J.
I always order a Med, and I wear a 15 1/2 32/33 dress shirt. I'm 5'11", 175 lbs well built due to working out twice a day.

[My Turn-on's are Hot Monogamy, Old movies and cuddling after walks on the beach and shooting down Neo-Nazi's and al Qaeda and finding new gear delivered to my door. My Turn-offs are liars, anti-gun nuts and public gatherings where I can't wear gear or don't have an open bar.]

All kidding a side, this is the best shirt I've seen in a while and gives LL Bean a run for the money.

Thanks again to Minnesota for the link!

New Stone color Shirt
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

Renderking Fisk wrote:
MaryonRavenwood wrote:Rederking? Who's that? :lol:
Regards--Maryon

Wooops
Ah, so you fixed it!
Regards--Maryon
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Yep... had to. Couldn't ruin a good review, I have a reputation to keep-up. I'm known for keeping my big blunders in the text, not in the subject.

Are you getting a shirt for your man, Mary? Or one for yourself? :twisted:
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I also had this shirt arrive this weekend. Friday evening after work. Man, it's simply incredible. Just like Sergei said, it's tough as nails and any stain won't even think of hanging around on this shirt. I ordered two of the Stone, one Tan, and one of the green ones. I'll probably switch out the buttons on one of the Stone, and maybe order one more to "cut up" and use for a friend of mine make to the "Indy pleats" on the first shirt with the material from the second....

Whether modified or not, this shirt is worth twice the price!
Last edited by Minnesota Jones on Tue Jan 21, 2003 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
only looking
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by only looking »

Before you "cut up" the extra shirt do what I did. Get the next size up and actually have the pleat sewn into it...looks great, I also had the buttons replaced and man it looks great.Sorry no digital camera for photos.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

only looking wrote:Before you "cut up" the extra shirt do what I did. Get the next size up and actually have the pleat sewn into it...looks great, I also had the buttons replaced and man it looks great.Sorry no digital camera for photos.
Yeah, I meant to say that. I'll update my original post. Thanks!
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

only looking wrote:Before you "cut up" the extra shirt do what I did. Get the next size up and actually have the pleat sewn into it...looks great, I also had the buttons replaced and man it looks great.Sorry no digital camera for photos.
Well that sounds like a good idea. But I am wondering, is an extra size enough for two pleats? I am thinking that it should probably be two extra sizes.

-S
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

If you order a shirt one or two sizes too large, and you do the magic folding and sewing for the pleates... what will that do for the fit and the sleave length?
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Hey King, I'm talking about buying TWO shirts, and cutting up one to get the pieces needed to create the pleats on the second shirt.

I don't know if the size of the shirt you're taking under the sissors to get the material to create some pleats from would matter. Since you have a lot of material in the back and the arms of the shirt. You'd need three pieces for each side (left and right) - one for the pocket, one for the piece below (the longest piece) and one above the pocket. Heck, couldn't you use the existing pleat on the pocket and just somehow "sew" the outside edges of it down, and then use that width as your guide for the others. Then you'd only need 4 pieces out the of "extra" shirt.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Minnesota_Jones wrote:Hey King, I'm talking about buying TWO shirts, and cutting up one to get the pieces needed to create the pleats on the second shirt.
I have thought about doing the same thing with an inexpensive department store shirt.

I need a sewing machine first.
D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by D. Blank »

I ordered a stone cabela's safari in size large last Monday, it arrived a couple days later, I switched the buttons and I couldn't be happier! It's a great shirt at a great price. I also ordered the LL Bean pants and they are great as well (the pants also arrived with out a crease)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

This is what I'm addressing. The way I read this was that OL took a shirt that was too large, fold and sew the pleats with out actually cutting up another shirt. It's a brilliant idea but you might have sleeves too long or the fit wouldn't be right.

Now, the idea of cutting up one shirt to put pleats on another is what I've heard from other members is a cool idea... but you would have enough material for several shirts if you count the sleeves and the entire back. :twisted:
Sergei
Admin Emeritus
Location: Off the grid, in from the cold - Jack's Canyon ~1119

Post by Sergei »

D. Blank wrote:I ordered a stone cabela's safari in size large last Monday, it arrived a couple days later, I switched the buttons and I couldn't be happier! It's a great shirt at a great price.
OK, buttons! I can barely see the new color of your replaced buttons. Where did you get your set of buttons?

-Sergei
D. Blank
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by D. Blank »

OK, buttons! I can barely see the new color of your replaced buttons. Where did you get your set of buttons?
First I have to say my reason for buying Indygear is for display only, after seaching a fabric store and walmart looking for the right color I gave up and bought white buttons and painted them almond color. I don't know how well this will work for daily use, although I did wash and dry the shirt with the painted buttons with no problem.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Well here's a pondering:
Instead of ordering a size up, can you take on shirt and make it TOD bridge style and use the material from the sleeves of the TOD shirt for the pleats you guys want? Not sure if there would be enought material, but it's a thought.
only looking
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by only looking »

I have about the same build as you fisk, for my frame I have pretty broad shoulders and always use a x-large as it is for more room, however the cabelas are full cut (very roomy) so I guess it really depends on body frame if you can pull off the one size larger trick, sleeves for me weren't a issue as well. I did however had to tear out the stitch on the pocket, then sew down the sides of the pleats, and also make the pockets square instead of hex-headed. But they are great shirts!