MK VII bag, anyone bought from this guy?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

MK VII bag, anyone bought from this guy?

Post by FLATHEAD »

Hi Everyone:

I was looking at a website run by a retired Military guy named Jerry, who
has a very nice website called What Price Glory.

He is into making and selling very accurate WWII items of all kinds, from
uniforms, jackets, Ike Jackets, and every kind of WWII gear you can
imagine. I was personally looking at his new Shearling B-3 jacket.

Anyway, he has a new arrival of the MK VII bag! He is currently selling
this bag for 38 dollars. He even mentions that its the same pattern that
was used by the British army, so it should be the same as the one that
Indy uses in the movies. Right down to the brass eyelettes on the bottom!

Here is the site for anyone who can verify that this is indeed a real
good deal: http://www.whatpriceglory.com/mkviibag.html

Jerry is a very funny guy. You will see this when you read his website.
He sells everything that you see on his site. It is available NOW, and
he is very truthful if you ask him questions.

Take a look.

Flathead
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Jerry has some great bags! If you're interested, please see what other Gearheads had to say about the WPG bag:

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... php?t=1782

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... php?t=1666

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... php?t=1224

http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... php?t=1399

I can tell you that I love mine! No, I don't own an original vintage MK VII to which I can compare my WPG but I still think the WPG makes an excellent satchel.

I.J.
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

Yeah, a lot of us went nuts when Jerry put these out originally about half a year ago. It's a GREAT bag. It's the one I'll use on Non-Indy functions (i.e. Hiking, fossil hunting). Very, VERY close to an original at a fraction of the cost and none of the worrying about your bag getting hurt. I hope he continues to sell them for a long time. The only thing I'd do is replace the strap with a Keppler strap. The strap with the repro-bag is kinda thick.
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Minnesota_Jones wrote:Yeah, a lot of us went nuts when Jerry put these out originally about half a year ago. It's a GREAT bag. The only thing I'd do is replace the strap with a Keppler strap. The strap with the repro-bag is kinda thick.
FLATHEAD, that's what I did. I feel the Kepler strap is lightyears ahead of Jerry's strap, IMHO. However, that's not to say that Jerry's strap is inferior it's just that I find Kepler's to be much better in that it's thinner, softer, more flexible, darker, and has a great buckle (is that the right word?).

I.J.
Raider1138
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Raider1138 »

I bought one of these bags from WPG and I wasn't completely happy with the strap either. So I darkened the strap by purchasing a bottle of brown scratch repair/shoe polish from Wal-mart and applying this to the unfinished side of the strap. Doing this a couple of times and then applying a few coats of Pecards gives you a pretty close color to the on-screen strap. Just be sure to rub it in good and wipe off the excess. The strap by the buckle also tapes off very nicely with 1" masking tape if you want to spray paint the buckle silver. I am fairly pleased with the appearance of my strap now and I didn't have to pay the extra money to get another strap. I was a little worried about the color coming off on my shirt but as long as you are sure to wipe off any excess polish and then apply a couple coat of Pecards you should be fine. I've never had any trouble with it at all.
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

I have owned a Repro MkVII for about half a year now. It is one of the most usefull items... It was perfect when i went on my trip to alaska. I can tell you this: Its coming with me to Mexico this spring break and anywhere else i go!!!
Regards,
Indiana
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Great report, Indiana! If it can take a trip to Alaska, and is ready to go to Mexico, there's a report from a literal field test you can take to the bank! High regards. Michaelson
Indiana John
Admin Emeritus

Post by Indiana John »

My post must have been toasted at the old board...here is the review I gave of the WPG Bag
How good is the What Price Glory replica? Given the fact that MKVII bags are getting harder to find...it's great to have a resource for buying them! Granted, you are buying a reproduction...so it's going to be new. However, I believe this should appeal to all crowds because it can be distressed per your exact needs. Hopefully this will spur new interest in the customizing tricks for bag distressing. Honestly, a used one will look more convincing, but you generally don't have the luxury of knowing what you are getting. Original bags vary in color, use, and smell...whereas this one will always be the same--brand new, which is something to consider.

In regards to specs, the bag is actually more of a tan/ lighter green, making it lighter than an actual issued version, and similar to an MKVI tan bag. I can't actually place the color, it's somewhat in-between the two shades. For that reason, it is an ideal bag for distressing because it has what I deem, a faded coloration and wouldn't require treatment in that respect.

The pockets are right on. The first and second pockets are open, and the third (rear) is the split configuration, featuring the small anti-fog case pocket on the top/front of the pocket wall. I own a variety of MK VII's and they do match this configuration...so there's no dispute here. I honestly like this one best, because the first two pockets are open, whereas on some different versions, you have the second pocket segmented in half...which in my opinion, lessens the storage capacity.

I was very pleased with the snaps...it's the first thing I noticed. The actual size is the same, and the wavy pattern is very similar and enlarged a little, but still very nice. You would have to cross-examine them with a real one to know the difference.

I measured the strap at 65" and compared with an MBA version to be the same width and thickness. This is definitely the lightest colored strap on the market. The front is a light brown, and the back is unfinished. You will need to trim the back side corners to eliminate leather edges which would otherwise be visible from the the front. The buckle end is double-riveted, while the screw end, features a chicago style screw, with slits on either side of the strap for insertion & play.

With the exception of the brass color, I like the buckle. It is a very similar design to the Keppler version, and is about 1/4 shorter, and just a smidge wider. Overall, I believe the bag holds to muster. I have found a few minor items that are not perfect, but these are not critical. I rate this to be a pretty faithful reproduction of the original. I will send my findings to Jerry, of whom I've been consulting with on & off for a few years, and we'll go from there.
-John
Indiana Janice
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Janice »

I bought one and LOVE it! I use it everyday. It's my purse/diaper bag/adventure bag. The strap isn't great though. It's too light.
Janice
CEEJAY928
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CEEJAY928 »

same here.... I bought one several months ago, and love it.
I bought a replacement strap from keppler a few weeks ago (still waiting).
CJ
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

What are the dimensions of the bag?

Are there snaps on the flap to keep it closed?
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Flash Gordon wrote:
Are there snaps on the flap to keep it closed?
Yes.
Blue Coyote
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Blue Coyote »

well well then, now i know where to get my bag :D