How To Wear Your Holster

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

McFly
Scoundrel

How To Wear Your Holster

Post by McFly »

How do you guys wear your holsters, and why?

Underneath your jacket? With your jacket going behind the holster instead?

Is your holster on the side of you, or kind of in front?

In Christ,
Shane
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

In front, and I usually let the jacket wrap around it when nothing's happening, and I move the jacket around behind it for photos. I try to wear mine much like the below photo, but it doesn't always come out that way. Depends on how much attention I am paying that day. At the comic con, I ended up not wearing it like that, because it just kept getting accidentally pushed back.

Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Now, THAT's a HUGE shirt button. I take it that's the 24" maquette?

Regards, Dr. J
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I quite like wearing my jacket zipped up since usualyl its colder over here so when filming and having the jacket zipped I would have the jacket going behind the holster with the holster kind of on my side but in front of the jacket.

Ken
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Do you kind of put the holster between the back panel and the front panel, so that it touches the pull straps?

In Christ,
Shane

PS - Man that country is beautiful...! I have got to go there sometime.
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Actually it usually sits a little further forward so more the front panel than the back panel - just in the course of a fight scene it tended to move backwards.

Ken
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

Does this picture help? :) Looks like you should be able to have your hand in your trouser pocket, with the holster in front.

FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

If you look at the picture, his pinky in not in the pocket. I think he was forcing it there so that he had something to do with his hand and not just have his arm hanging there.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

floatinjoe wrote:If you look at the picture, his pinky in not in the pocket. I think he was forcing it there so that he had something to do with his hand and not just have his arm hanging there.
Makes sense to me...

I actually wear mine to the front usually, weighed with the pistol so that it tips forward with the jacket behind it... I may take a pic later to show what I mean...
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Even with the holster right over the pocket, you can force your hand in there. The bottom of the holster just moves away from your body as your hand goes into the pocket. You can even get your hand in your pocket while seated in a car at the drive thru window at the donut shop. Trust me.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:You can even get your hand in your pocket while seated in a car at the drive thru window at the donut shop. Trust me.
ROLMAO. Buff, your such a typical cop :lol:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

But, it's true. I have done years of field research.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

More pics...

In front of pocket.

Image Image

On hip.

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Skippy wrote:Image
Wow, that kind of a standing pose can cause you a lot of troubles in later life you know. ;)
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

I like wearing my holster forward, resting on the front of my leg if you will.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

So the general concensus is that the holster is sort of on the front of your leg - sometimes maybe towards your hip - and generally with the jacket behind it. I've only seen pictures of it like this though when his jacket is zipped up. What happens if it's unzipped?

In the cinamaquette it's below his jacket altogether, so the jacket wouldn't be able to go behind it and you'd have no problems - but some of us don't have a 45 in there to hold it down. lol

In Christ,
Shane
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you ever get the chance to carry a full weight, honest to gosh N-Frame loaded Smith and Wesson revolver, and carry it in these flap holsters for any given period of time in the field, you'll discover that this is where the holster usually decides it WANTS to go, no matter where YOU think it should ride. :roll:

Been there, done that, and THAT'S where mine ALWAYS ends up after a day of carry. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Michaelson wrote:If you ever get the chance to carry a full weight, honest to gosh N-Frame loaded Smith and Wesson revolver, and carry it in these flap holsters for any given period of time in the field, you'll discover that this is where the holster usually decides it WANTS to go, no matter where YOU think it should ride. :roll:

Been there, done that, and THAT'S where mine ALWAYS ends up after a day of carry. :lol: :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Very true! Also, beware of the "cowboy syndrome" of wearing the belt loose and letting the holster side sag down real low. It can create a bad situation. :lol:
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

No wonder cowboys started tying a string around their leg to hold the holster in place. :shock:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Michaelson wrote:If you ever get the chance to carry a full weight, honest to gosh N-Frame loaded Smith and Wesson revolver,...
Regards! Michaelson
Yeah, that's the problem with a rubber gun and a real whip. The whip is heavier than the gun and hoster and it doesn't tilt the right direction.

I thought about filling my holster with some lead shot to help out. :lol:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I like to have it more towards the front as well.

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

agent5 wrote:I like to have it more towards the front as well.

Of course, when I carry a real gun, I don't particularly care for it being pointed at that part of my anatomy. :shock:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Awesome picture, A5! I think I got it now - all these pics are really helping. I don't know why I didn't just look for pics before. :?

Thanks very much, folks!

In Christ,
Shane
Solo4114
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Solo4114 »

I don't have an actual replica holster, but I have a removeable flap holster that looks plenty beat-up. Since I haven't handled a .45 revolver, I can't tell if the holster'd fit one (or if it's just for an old .38 M&P or something).

Anyway, even if it's empty, I usually pull it a ways towards the front and sag it down some. It's been a while since I did the costume, but I think I usually keep my whip on my web belt rather than the gunbelt. I realize this isn't canon, but (a) my whip holder's a Mark Allen one, not an official one (And thus not integrated with the belt), and (2) I'm not as picky about this because I'm not carrying the same exact gear as Indy (my whip is relatively lightweight -- which is why I plan to upgrade).