Import Tax?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Out of curiosity... what is your favorite?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:36 pm

Lambskin
59%
Goatskin
32%
Cowhide
No votes
Horsehide
5%
Other (ie. Kangaroo??)
5%

Total votes: 22

McFly
Scoundrel

Import Tax?

Post by McFly »

I'm preparing to take the next step in ordering my jacket (that is, getting my paycheck. :lol: :P ) and that means that soon I'm going to have to talk to Peter about the sizing issues and start measuring up.

But first - I've heard there was an import tax when ordering things from across the pond - now, I don't recall paying one on my cotton Indy, so I don't know how much I should be prepared to shell out. Do you have any insight you can share? Perhaps import tax has changed since you guys got your Westeds (when did you get your last one?) but it would still be good to get an idea.

Michaelson said that if they send it to a business, they waive the tax? Is that true nowadays?

In Christ,
Shane
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

I think that it's applied pretty randomly, some guys get it and some don't. Everything imported to Finland from outside the EU will get import tax and VAT, so I had to pay about 100 dollars for my JS. Nothing for Wested though.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's not a 'done deal' either, Shane. It's just been my experience at MY work place. It could be different for others. I just don't know. I only know what I've experienced in my dealings with oversea purchases.

Regards! Michaelson
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I paid about 305-310$ for all three of the Wested jackets I've bought. The most recent one I got a few months ago, and I belive it was 310$. It was an authentic brown lamb with cotton lining.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

About $305-310 total, or with stuff added and plus this mystery tax?

Right now with the exchange rate at 1 pound = $1.88, just a jacket with shipping would be about $310. On my jacket I'm thinking about underarm gussets, because some people say they help with ride up and some don't, but I really don't like ride up. I'm thinking I'll do that. Also - Wested now offers the rectangular sliders at no extra cost on the ordering page, so I'm definitely doing that. :D

This makes my jacket so far, like $319.

In Christ,
Shane
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

IndyMcFly wrote:About $305-310 total, or with stuff added and plus this mystery tax?

Right now with the exchange rate at 1 pound = $1.88, just a jacket with shipping would be about $310. On my jacket I'm thinking about underarm gussets, because some people say they help with ride up and some don't, but I really don't like ride up. I'm thinking I'll do that. Also - Wested now offers the rectangular sliders at no extra cost on the ordering page, so I'm definitely doing that. :D

This makes my jacket so far, like $319.

In Christ,
Shane
Actually, I forgot to mention that I got gussets on my last jacket, the one that cost me 310$ altogether. I don't think there's any mystery tax, as I've never had to pay any duty fees or anything like that. The postman just comes to my door with the package, I sign for it, and I'm all done.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh - I see... so maybe they don't have that tax anymore at all. :-k

Thanks for your input, fellas!

In Christ,
Shane
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It's hit or miss whether you wind up paying any tax at all. Westeds fold up so small, are so light and are sent in the soft courier packs that they often get by unnoticed by customs.

Isn't it true, in the States, that if you buy something mail order from another state that you get out of one of your sales taxes? I'm assuming it's the State sales tax? Which leaves you still having to pay the Federal Sales tax. If you are buying from overseas you will still, in theory, be liable for Federal sales tax, you may also be liable for some sort of import duty plus a "government handling" or "inspection fee".

I know that in the UK if you are lucky you don't pay anything when buying from overseas. But if customs picks up on it you end up paying VAT (our version of sales tax, called without any sense of irony "Value Added Tax") they will also hit you with a fairtly hefty "inspection fee" I can't remember exactly but it was maybe $20 the last time I got stung. The combination of the two is designed to negate any savings we might make by buying overseas where many things are cheaper.

Anyone here actually pay tax on their Wested? How much was it?
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Kt Templar wrote:It's hit or miss whether you wind up paying any tax at all. Westeds fold up so small, are so light and are sent in the soft courier packs that they often get by unnoticed by customs.
In my experience, Customs fees are a very random thing. I've never had it assessed on anything I've bought from Wested, but I have had it it charged occasionally over the years. Ususally, one is safe with inexpensive items, but once the declared value exceeds 200 USD odds increase dramatically. Interestingly though, the last two times Customs charged me, the postman forgot to collect it when he delivered the packages! I went to the PO and paid it the first time, but the invoice from that last package is still sitting in my "to be dealt with -- eventually" stack.
Kt Templar wrote:Isn't it true, in the States, that if you buy something mail order from another state that you get out of one of your sales taxes? I'm assuming it's the State sales tax? Which leaves you still having to pay the Federal Sales tax. If you are buying from overseas you will still, in theory, be liable for Federal sales tax, you may also be liable for some sort of import duty plus a "government handling" or "inspection fee".
Boy, could this be opening a can of worms! :lol:

Technically speaking, there is no Federal Sales Tax on retail puchases. That doesn't mean the Feds don't tax everything they possibly can, it's just that it isn't added to the price of an item like a VAT (if it were, there might be another revolution once people saw just how much they were actually paying in taxes -- but I digress).

However each state does have a sales tax that it charges on goods and services purchased in 'brick and mortar" establishments within its own boundaries. Intrastate (within a state) online purchases also must charge this tax. In the state of Texas, the tax is 8%. Cities and towns may also add their own tax to this if they wish (many do).

Traditionally, the only way to avoid this tax is to make purchases outside of your own state. Before the internet, this could be done by ordering from an out of state (interstate) catalogue or buying something in a shop while on vacation in another state and having the store ship your purchase to your home address (this only helps you avoid paying that states sales tax.) Depending on the cost of shipping and the item itself, this can save you a decent amount. The only exception to the interstate rule is in the case of large retail chains that have a "brick and mortar" establishment within your state. Then they have to charge you for your state's tax. Confusing?

Lately though, state -- and some federal -- politicians, looking for yet another way to squeeze money out of its subj-- oops, I mean citizens, have been trying to get large catalogue firms to start collecting state taxes for them. Some, like L.L. Bean are now doing this, but most of the others aren't. They object on the grounds that they aren't responsible for collecting taxes for states in which they aren't physically do business(remember the brick and mortar thing?). In at least one state, the tax collector somehow obtained records of purchases by its own residents and sent some of them bills for the sales tax they figured is owed them. I have no idea how this is currently playing out.

I think that about covers it. My head hurts now and I don't want to think about it anymore. If anyone has any further questions, I may answer them after I lie down for a while. :lol:
Kt Templar wrote:I know that in the UK if you are lucky you don't pay anything when buying from overseas. But if customs picks up on it you end up paying VAT (our version of sales tax, called without any sense of irony "Value Added Tax") they will also hit you with a fairtly hefty "inspection fee" I can't remember exactly but it was maybe $20 the last time I got stung. The combination of the two is designed to negate any savings we might make by buying overseas where many things are cheaper.

Anyone here actually pay tax on their Wested? How much was it?
And again, no, I didn't pay anything for my Wested. :P

Cheers!
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

The rule is that anything up to $200 does not pay import tax.
I know the jackets are $275-$325 but in pounds sterling it is £145
The invoice says value 145 read as dollars= no tax.
Say no more as the CIA are everwhere and out to get YOU.
Cheers
Peter
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Ah, thanks, Peter, I'd forgotten about the maximum duty free amount. I now stand corrected. It's not quite as random as I thought.

Still, It's intriguing to think that some Customs Inspectors might be assuming that the declared value is in USD. Must be a union shop!

Cheers!
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

PETER wrote:The rule is that anything up to $200 does not pay import tax.
I know the jackets are $275-$325 but in pounds sterling it is £145
The invoice says value 145 read as dollars= no tax.
Hah! I never thought of that. That's ingenious!

PETER wrote:Say no more as the CIA are everwhere and out to get YOU.
Cheers
Peter
:lol: You said it, brother!
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Oh! Well then... that settles it, doesn't it? Thank you very much, Peter!

In Christ,
Shane