Is Indygear a costume?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Well, as we often do, we will have to agree to disagree.
I don’t regard “IndyGear” as a costume because it was supposed to be the embodyment of what men actually wore back then...
My take is that if you are wearing clothes from 70 years ago (or "back then"), it is a costume of that time period. Almost a text-book definition of the "costume" entry on the internet dictionary. As nice as the style looks, it is not what is common nowadays. Regardless of todays fashions - and how hideous some of them are - they set the standard for what is current. It is unfortunate, but true.

This thread keeps straying to what other people who judge us wear or how we do not care what people think. Neither one of those addresses the question of "costume or not." Whether others dress like Eminem is completely irrelevant to what we are wearing. Saying "I don't care what people think," simply dismisses the entire topic.

[quote+"Renderking Fisk"]On the other hand, men and some women WERE wearing fedoras once upon a time. And before “Raiders Of The Lost Ark,” there were some essentric and charasmatic people who wore fedoras[/quote]

Few are here for any other gear than Indy's. It looks cool. We all fell in love with it. Others may have dressed a certain way, but when you go through the pains to copy that look right down to sourcing out the original makers many times - and the reason for that is that this stuff is not available in most retail stores - you are copying a movie costume.

Whether you choose to dress like they did in better years or not, we here are wearing replicas of a movie costume. Separating the individual components does not change that fact. You can wear the actual "authentic" gear or you can try to get "close enough" gear, but either way you are replicating the look of a movie costume. I am completely dumbfounded at the fact that so few do not grasp that. I just embrace it. :lol:

Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I guess that I'm hung up on what's now everyday wear for me could be considered a "costume."

... Although I do throw in a turtleneck just to make things intresting.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

A turtleneck is a costume from the 60's, isn't it? :lol:

I have to let this thread go for a while.. :oops:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

This is an amazingly simple, yet complex question. :-s Its not something with a yes or know answer. I think its safe to say that everyone has their own "fashion comfort zone." I can put on a pair of baggy jeans and I feel like I'm wearing a pink bunny suit. However, society in general would think nothing of it. I can put on my fedora and not give it a second thought, but most people will notice. So, IMO this question can be answered on two levels, a personal level and a cultural level. The point at which this level is reached is hard to define. However, when people start identifying your look as "Indy" or you feel conspicuous your getting close.

For me personally, a piece of gear here or there isn't (or should I say doesn't feel like) a costume. However, when I put the fedora and jacket together, I get the costume feeling.

:)
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Renderking Fisk wrote:I guess that I'm hung up on what's now everyday wear for me could be considered a "costume."

That's because, for you, you are wearing someone else's clothes, ergo "costume." :wink:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You know, if we were all nudists, we wouldn't be arguing about attire. :wink:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:bink and Jerry probably shouldn't answer that...
Ah...stolen thunder. All points for this round go to Bufflehead... ;)
binkmeisterRick wrote:You know, if we were all nudists, we wouldn't be arguing about attire. :wink:
Right, just screen accuracy. :shock: No, let's not go there... [-X
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I think it's only a costume if it's a costume to you. I've had this conversation with others, and they have said to me: "The hat and the jacket is one thing. Put the bag on with it, and you're asking for trouble."

I doubt anyone here bought their gear for the practicality of it. Of course, the practicality is always a nice side dish, used to validate the purchase of such things to loved ones or friends. You bought the items because they looked like Indy's, enough like Indy's to you. In that sense, you are trying to replicate a costume used in the movie. If you feel comfortable in your jacket and hat, then I'd say you're not wearing a costume. As has been said, when you start to feel self concious or like you might be too conspicuous when donning your gear, I think that's a good indication that, to you, you're crossing the line.

Of course, putting certain pieces of gear on is definetely turning things into a costume. You don't need to tote around your whip and gun holster on your gun belt whilst wearing other gear. I'd feel like I was wearing a costume then, and that's where the line is. Once you start to feel like it is, then it is. To you. Someone else's opinion may be different, but that's mine.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You know, if we were all nudists, we wouldn't be arguing about attire.
You give me the directions to the beach and I'm there, Bink. I just hate getting dressed. :lol:
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Strider wrote:I doubt anyone here bought their gear for the practicality of it. Of course, the practicality is always a nice side dish, used to validate the purchase of such things to loved ones or friends.
No, some of us actually like the practicality. The only things I can't justify (that *I* bought) are the whip and holster...which are the parts I consider 'costumey'. ;)

I WEAR this hat because of sun and rain - ditto on the jacket - and these boots are the most comfortable I've ever owned. The bag is so useful I've picked up MKVI's for friends, too. The shirts I wear on a regular basis...hence my consistent wrinkliness. ;) Okay, you got me on the pinks, I really bought those just for the jokes about 'Holly's pants'. 8-[

But make no mistake, if it wasn't so practical, I wouldn't have all this stuff.

Note my complete and utter lack of any other costume. My Superman costume for a few Halloweens was just the t-shirt under one of my suits. Funny, that was my Batman costume, too...and my Captain America costume...(hmm...that suits gotta be retired). But Indy? Gosh, I made a case for each item before I bought it - and the few things I couldn't, I got cheap or as gifts.

This is the biggest reason I have trouble swallowing this as a 'costume'. Gosh, I'm not USING it as a costume...I'm actually USING it.

J

P.S. My Wells-Lamonts are now getting picked on by my other work-gloves in the workshop...even though they are more broken in because I USE them for more hardwork, the other gloves now pick on them and tell them they are 'just a costume'. This is breaking their little hard-working leather hearts...stop the madness! ;)
cokewithvanilla
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cokewithvanilla »

Shawnkara makes a very good point. There are some people that can get away with wearing certain things because of how they dress usually.

The problem is, to you that might not be a costume... but you don't see the same people everyday...so to them it could be a costume...

I think we could say that the person that the only thing that makes basic gear (without gun/whip, and maybe even bag) a costume is the person looking at it. Certain people will think it is, certain people will think its not, and certain people don't even pay attention to you.

There is no real way to answer if it is or isn't a costume... it all depends on whos looking at it.
dkwd
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by dkwd »

I'm with the group that says that it all depends.

I've worn hats since high school in the 80s - I had an indy replica hat back then too - but got the grey one so it wouldn't be instantly recognizable as an indy hat.

I've had a leather jacket since back then too. In my neighborhood, at the time everyone was wearing black - I got a hunter green one. It was much easier to pick it out from the pile on the bed at parties.

Even now, I haven't upgraded to an Wested jacket or an Akubra hat (yet), and yet when I wear the green jacket with grey hat - it sometimes still references to people as Indiana Jones. To most people though it's just how I dress. With khaki pants, pale cream shirt, bag, and a rope (sadly, also whipless - so far) added, I was able to win a halloween award though for our group last year.

Mostly, though, with the weather up here usually, I wear my black hat and black trenchcoat - it doesn't register with people as a Shadow costume though. Maybe I should get a red silk scarf.

David
VancouverVic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by VancouverVic »

Anecdote:

Next month my naval reserve unit is throwing a dinner / dance with the theme of Oscar / Stars night.

Upon finding out about this, I was then asked by several of my co-workers NOT to wear fedora / leather jacket / etc.

Why? "You wear that stuff so often, it's your NORMAL CLOTHES now and NOT a costume!"

If people see you in the stuff often enough, it's not a costume anymore but your regular habit.

Which is fine by me.
Rev.Chuck
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Rev.Chuck »

It does not take much to bring on the costume "effect" in people. I can arrive wearing grey cargo shorts, a RedCap work jacket, and safety orange messenger bag, pretty much my daily outfit and no one says anything. However, if it is raining and I wear my Kangaroo leather drovers hat(looks like a fedora, kinda) then I am garanteed to hear some joker humming the Raiders theme shortly.
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

If you walk down the street completely naked with just the fedora on,people would still think 'Indiana jones'.I find the essence/spirit of Indy is all in the hat...if you can wear the hat and not feel self-concious then you've cracked it and everything else is easy :D Is indygear a costume?-isn't all the world a stage?,don't we all wear costumes? :wink:
IndyParise
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyParise »

Personally, my first good fedora was just a hat I saw in a shop that I took a liking too, a grey/blue vintage stetson Sovereign. I got my first Indy hat months later. My first safari shirt, I dought before I was educated on the accuracy of indygear and didn't know he wore one. (when I was little I thought it was a dress shirt #-o ) My first whip was (again) bought without thinking of Indy as I was little and didn't understand the movies too much anyway, I bought it because I thought it was cool, a cheap 6 footer I admit but a whip nonetheless. My first web-belt I'm not even gonna mention it was so long before I was interested in Indy. So, some of the gear can be worn as normal clothes given certain circumstances. I still wear either my Indy hat or another fed not as a costume but as a casual hat. I tend to be the only person to wear a hat when the occasion calls for a suit and tie but I do anyway. I will take my Akubra put it open crown and put it in a casual straight (not Raiders) bash real quick and return it to a Raiders shape later. It depends on how you wear it. As something you wouldn't buy other than the Indy implications or as something you'd already worn as casual.
JrZyBud
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by JrZyBud »

Guys, its really all about frames and your perception of reality . . . when I go out to clubs or bars at night I always wear my fedora, an adventure or similar type shirt, a pair of beat up jeans, aldens and my bag. Sure people say stuff about my hat, but the girls that do are usually interested in talking to me (its a great ice breaker), and well the guys whatever . . . Im wearing the hat to get attention, I think its cool and the perceptions of others are entirely up to them and I have no control over it. Im out to enjoy myself, and Im not gonna let other people get me down. If someone says something (another guy) I either just go along with it or brush him off with a simple "yeah thats cool man" and continue what Im doing. If you wear the hat out enough and people call you on it you become pretty good at handling the situation. I usually draw the line though with mixing the jacket and the hat however, because at that point in my mind I feel that it becomes a costume. Kind of a long winded post, but I hate to hear about other people not wearing their gear because of what other people say . . .

Peace Out!
Raider
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Raider »

Michaelson wrote:Depends on what point you're at in the 'dress'.

In my opinion, you're in normal dress with hat, jacket, shirt, trousers and boots, and for many, the bag.

It becomes 'costume' when you add the gun belt and whip, unless you're in the field and are using them as actual tools.

Regards! Michaelson
Great topic! I thought about it a lot in the past. I disagree with Michaelson and I agree with Bufflehead.

My point of view may be controversial for fans (I am true one myself), but we all just have our own opinion regarding the subject.
I like the hat very much, I love the jacket, MK bag has a spirit. Even putting a hat and jacket together make your everyday outfit dangerously close to a costume. (Now the controversial stuff is coming ;) ) A hat, jacket, shirt, trousers and boots + the bag (all together) - it is not a costume. It makes you a mannequin! If you feel ok with it, that's ok. You are just a HUGE fan.

Personally, I like elements which still look good nowadays. I'm using Wested jacket, sometimes a hat (seldom together), adding it to other adventurous outfit - but not a copy of Indy's one. Let's be honest (don't kill me) ;) - jacket is GREAT, a hat is original and looks good, but let's be honest here and look at these really (not to be cruel) "not good looking" pants. Or Aldens. I even bought Indy's shirt rather to see it live, than to wear it. It is terrible (you may find a dozen of better "safari" shirts in a day). Objectively, compare them to elements you may replace them with, nowadays. I am talking about a look AND a quality. A cloth and cut used for Indy's shirt, pants, overall look&feel won't make you a star of Fashion TV ;)
Aldens? Solid. That's all you can say about them.

What I am trying to say is, you may have your own great, adventurous style wearing a few, good looking elements of Indy's outfit, but if you stick to them all - a hat, jacket, shirt, trousers, boots and the bag... come on guys. Don't say it is not a costume :)

Cheers,
:junior: Raider
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I just came across this post. I'm in Company E, of the 20th Maine reenacting unit. I often hear people say, when we do our Civil War reenacting events, that we "dress up in costumes and reenact the battles."

This terminology ("costume") becomes annoying. Civil War reenacting can be a very expensive hobby to call our gear items "costumes." It sounds as if it is Halloween or something! We call our gear "period clothing" because they are exact reproductions of the CLOTHING that the soldiers (and Civilians) at the time actually had worn in their day-to-day lives. So, they are not "costumes" if you think about it. If a time period is considered a "costume," then my 2006 clothing of today (t-shirt and jeans that I am wearing now) must therefore also be considered a "costume," eh? What about if I put on my grandfather's ol' flight jacket from WWII? Would that be considered a "costume" simply because it is from another time period?

However, I think it depends on the context. If I were to wear my Civil War gear in my hometown for just the heck of it, and without the rest of my reenacting unit as a group or at an event, then that would probably be considered "dressing up" in a costume by most people (+ that would be just weird, lol). The same could go for my Indy gear. If I were to wear my ENTIRE outfit (fedora, jacket, shirt, bag, straps, holster, gun belt, whip ect..) walking down the street, then I would personally consider that a costume, as well. Simply because I am not participating in an event with others who enjoy the same hobby. I am simply trying to look like someone else/character.

On the other hand, I've been to various Civil War towns that have shop vendors who occasionally wear a Civil War period hat or vest while they work. They simply enjoy a particular aspect of that gear. I, myself, have even worn my black period vest to weddings and church services simply because it looks good with what I am wearing. I've worn the exact same vest in the battles, ect....I don't consider these examples as "costumes." I can agree with Michaelson when he stated that if one is actually USING the gear, and it is functional in his/her lives, than I wouldn't consider it a costume.

The same goes with my Indy gear. If I wear the ENTIRE gear, yes, that would be a costume because I am dressing up to look like someone else. But, if I wear say for example, just my Indy jacket out in public, I wouldn't consider it a costume because it is serving a purpose....it is:

1.) keeping me warm,
2.) I like the look/style of it with what I am wearing,
3.) and I enjoy the personality that comes with it (Indiana Jones) just like the vendors and myself who wear a vest or hat from the Civil War period.

Is Indy gear a costume? I feel that it is yes and no. I think the Civil War reenacting gear can be an example and relevant. It can also be yes and no.....it just depends on the context and how you "use" the gear :wink: .

Kindest Regards,
Captain D
p.s- To Arms! To Arms! All abled bodied men sign up to preserve the Union! (just kiddin' 8) ).