What do you carry in your holster?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Tannis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

What do you carry in your holster?

Post by Tannis »

When in full gear, I would assume most of you (I say "you" because I only have toys & props so far, no clothing) don't carry a live or replica weapon due to the possible misunderstandings, legal implications, possibility of being mistaken for a bank robber, etc.

I am wondering if you carry an empty holster, wear it only when you are in private, or do some of you have a handgun permit & carry the real deal?
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

Speaking for my boyfriend, who goes by Henry Jones Sr. (HJS) here, he just recently acquired a Smith & Wesson HEM2. He is planning on having it modified to look just like the Indy gun (having a 4" barrel put on, with a Baughman ramped sight.) He'll probably get a carry permit so he can wear it as part of his gear at Indy-related events, such as the Queen Mary summit in May.

Check out this thread:
http://www.indygear.com/community/forum ... php?t=1904

Minnesota Jones just got his S&W too...
Regards--Maryon
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Just about every time I leave the house I carry a Kimber 1911 Gov't model .45.

Have a permit to carry it concealed. Can't carry it out in the open legally unless I'm directly going to or from a shooting event or hunting.

If I don't have that on me, I have a J framed .38 S&W snub nose with me instead.
Crusader
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Crusader »

Hi Maryon,
Unfortunately, the only type of permits allowed for California residents are CCW permits (concealed carry only). Carrying the revolver in a exposed holster ala Indy does not fit this definition. As far as I know the only exception to the concealed status would be a security guard in uniform and working at the time that he is carrying in an exposed holster. Actually, that doesn't fit under the CCW permit, either, since it is handled by a California "guard card" and a separate weapons permit. You can also carry in your business, if allowed (gun store employees, etc) without a CCW permit. Private property is also an exception. For example, I compete in Cowboy Action Shooting. The World Championship is held every year in Norco, CA on a private ranch. Competitors are allowed to carry openly on the property as long as they belong to the club, but are expected to legally and securely store their firearms when they leave. This wouldn't fly on the QM. I don't believe that any Law Enforcement agencies here in California allow their officers to carry exposed weapons while off duty, either. Not because it would be against the law, but it would most likely be against department policy and not good sense. This could cause more problems that it is worth. I realize that some states allow open carry, and I'm not saying I disagree with that at all, but remember, this is the "People's Republic of California", NOT the most gun friendly state in the union. If I go to the summit, I'll probably not even bring my holster or resin replicas, just for the reason that all it would take would be for some QM visitor to freak out, cause a panic and call the cops. You just don't know how something like that could be interpreted in someone's mind. Anyone's imagination can tell them what other bad things could happen.

Hopefully I haven't fueled any carry gun controversy. This wasn't my intention. Only trying to save HJS or anyone else from any potential problems. :)

Just my .02 cents. Probably too much info, but I got on a roll... :wink:

BTW, your dress pics looked great! Good Job!
Last edited by Crusader on Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
MaryonRavenwood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MaryonRavenwood »

Thanks for the info--I wasn't aware that that was the case (maybe HJS did, I don't know...) Anyhow, it is a cool addition to his gear collection, and as soon as he gets it smithed, he's planning on taking the cannon (which is pretty much what it is) out to the range and trying it out.

BTW--one of our friends has a concealed carry permit, and carries the Kimber 1911 .45 as well (compact model, I think.)

Oh, and thanks for the kind words about my dress--the credit goes to Elizabeth Galeria at The Magic Wardrobe.

Regards--Maryon
Tannis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

As for myself...

Post by Tannis »

I was asking specifically about Indy gear weapons but since someone mentioned their "civilian" gear, my daily wearer, before I moved to Southern California, was a Walther P99 .40 with the olive green frame. A beautifully made & very apt pistol. Interchangeable grips to fit your hand size, hair trigger mode, easy to disassemble & clean, etc. You may recognize it as James Bond's more contemporary weapon of choice.
Chamorro
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chamorro »

I was thinking of getting that very one! How much did you pay for it, if I may ask?

BTW, my 3 Indy holsters have replica guns in them. HE, Colt, and Webley. I never wear them in public. Cops around here are trigger happy and I'd like to live a little while longer.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

Chamorro wrote:BTW, my 3 Indy holsters have replica guns in them. HE, Colt, and Webley. I never wear them in public. Cops around here are trigger happy and I'd like to live a little while longer.
Really, in California??? And I thought they only blow the heads off defenseless, tail wagging brown dogs with shot guns or am I mixing them up with the Tennessee Highway Patrol. :x
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I was asking specifically about Indy gear weapons but since someone mentioned their "civilian" gear, my daily wearer, before I moved to Southern California, was a Walther P99 .40 with the olive green frame. A beautifully made & very apt pistol. Interchangeable grips to fit your hand size, hair trigger mode, easy to disassemble & clean, etc. You may recognize it as James Bond's more contemporary weapon of choice.
You probably know this already, but for anyone else out there...

Bond has a 9mm P99 with a matte black frame. His version is the military version with a capacity of 16 rounds and 1 in the chamber. If you look at some of the pictures, he usually puts a ridiculously small silencer in the barrel.

Is it true that the initial trigger pull is quite heavy?
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

cool Tannis! I've not shot the p99, but have held one. it is awsome. i alwasy wanted a black 40(the 9 has an over-penatration effect). whats that got, a 10 legal mag?
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

A 9mm with over-penetration? I thought 9mm are supposed to have low penetration. I'm no gun expert, so I wouldn't know.
sab04
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: now, or when you read this......what? ooooooh, Lebanon CT

Post by sab04 »

Question: What do you carry in your holster?

Answer: A gun. :lol:

-Scott
Tannis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tannis »

Chamorro wrote:I was thinking of getting that very one! How much did you pay for it, if I may ask?
I bought mine on speculation when they were first released so I know I paid a fair amount more than what they are going for currently. I don't remember the exact price of the last one I saw but I do seem to recall thinking it was more than reasonable. I would call up LA Guns on Sunset or possibly check online. Also, mine was purchased in the midwest before I moved to LA so it is possible (read: likely) to be cheaper there.

Be mindful there is also a SW99 by S&W which is virtually the same gun & made by Walther but distributed by S&W I think but I prefer the original Walther. There are small differences in design but enough for you to have a definite favorite.
Tannis
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tannis »

Marcus Brody wrote:
You probably know this already, but for anyone else out there...

Bond has a 9mm P99 with a matte black frame. His version is the military version with a capacity of 16 rounds and 1 in the chamber. If you look at some of the pictures, he usually puts a ridiculously small silencer in the barrel.

Is it true that the initial trigger pull is quite heavy?
My apologies for the lack of clarification, I meant he has the same model Walther. Yes, the initial trigger pull is veeeery long, but my understanding is the designers (formerly of Glock) did this because the gun has *NO SAFETY* & it's that extra bit of insurance to be sure you really want to toss a round out. The hair trigger is an excellent remedy for this as you pull the trigger back, almost to the point of firing it & it "locks" in position if you don't continue the pull, keeping it available with the shortest trigger pull I have encountered...beautiful design! Also, it isn;t as scary as it may sound, in practice it is far more useable & the lack of a safety is never a concerb because you simply decock & to cock it again, you only need to pull the slide back about 1/4" inch so it's not a real task.

Someone else asked and yes, the US civilian model does have a 10 mag capacity.
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

To answer the original question, I carry a S&W Model 629 with a 4 inch barrel in the flap holster. For concealed carry, I use other handguns.
Indiana Cojones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Cojones »

I carry a Webley myself... but never in public. We've got farily liberal gun laws around here (Colorado), but that's just asking for trouble. I used to carry a 9MM pistol in my car, but it made for quite a bit of hassle the few times I had contact with the police. I never got into any trouble, because it was legal (I went by the police station to discuss the gun laws with them before I started carrying it), but the police were never really happy that I had it in the car, so always lots of questions, lots of wasted time.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

In my holster?

Post by Michaelson »

A modified Smith and Wesson bull barrel model 13 .357. For concealed carry, something else. The Smith is to heavy. :wink: Regards. Michelson
Indydawg

A REAL WWII handgun...

Post by Indydawg »

A Colt .45 (with moon clips for ACP rounds) M1917 revolver.

It's actually just a prop these days as I have a couple of pieces that need replacing on it, but that's what I carry....

Nice gun, too.
Later!
Indydawg
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

I don't have a daily wear gun as I don't have a carry permit. However, when I go hunting, my sidearm...currently... is a Star Modelo Super B. It is a Spanish made model 1911 clone chambered in a 9mm. I actually haven't had it for very long, nor have I fired it as much as I would like, but its a nice gunfor the price (around US$200.00)

As far as "gear" is concerned, I have an airsoft spring revolver (I believe its supposed to be a S&W .357) it has a decent look except for the hogue style grips which cannot be changed. I've found an airsoft Browning HP that is a dead ringer for Indy's Raven gun, which I plan on getting in the future.
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

I don't visit this forum very often but it's always fun when I do. :)

Being the "Traditional" type American that I am it really bugs me that there are laws against open carrying of a weapon. Concealment laws came about when everyone could and did open carry. The whole thing is screwy. Pretty soon everywhere will be off limits except your home and then you'll be prosecuted for shooting an intruder.

If you think it's bad for guns, check out yours and other State's knife laws concerning what and how you can carry. http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/scottygrow/knife.html It will shock you how unconstitutional many of them are.

-Kyle
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Interesting!

Post by Michaelson »

I had no idea (or little idea) what the knife laws were in Tennessee, Kyle. Thanks! It also (at least where Iive) depends on WHERE you live in the State. In my area, they don't give you a second thought if you have a belt knife on....yet if you go near a large population, they take a closer look at you. But then, I once got pulled over by a local policeman who only wanted to know what kind of fedora I was wearing, as the officers in my area know me and my car (because it's so old and ugly and still runs! (grins)), and had a running debate as to what kind of hat I really wore, so he pulled me over and asked! Go figure! Regards. Michaelson
The_Edge
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The_Edge »

You can find more knife related info. here:

http://www.knife-expert.com

and

http://www.akti.org

Now that I'm completely off topic I shall take leave of this thread. :lol:

-Kyle
Last edited by The_Edge on Tue Jan 28, 2003 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magnum
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Magnum »

These liberals are idiots! They criminalize law abiding citizens like you and me. I should be able to carry any kinds of guns, anywhere, anytime because I have broken no laws and have not hurt anyone with them, nor would I. Well because of this, I think I will send some more money to the NRA to offend the liberals. 8)
artsee1
Vendor

Holster baggage

Post by artsee1 »

I go empty unless I am in Atlanta Georgia for Dragoncon. There every one is dressed and everything goes except for nudity and unsheathed blades.

Paul
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

Gummy Bears! :D
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

In that case!

Depending on what holster I'm using, shouder, western or flap, I'll pack a different gun. Usually go with a Colt M1911 for the shoulder, a Colt peacemaker for the western, and a unknown break open revolver for the flap.

Of course though, all my guns are toys. I actually fashioned my own horizontal shoulder holster which works pretty well for my snub nosed revolver or the 1911. I pretty sure I'm one of the only kids who have insisted on using a shoulder holster for my toy guns.