Joe Strain 8 footer

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Joe Strain 8 footer

Post by VP »

I ordered an 8' 12 plait Indy whip from Northern Whip Co. on Friday the 30th of June. I got the whip through customs on Thursday the 13th of July. I also got a 16 oz. tube of Pecards with it. I had to pay $380 for the whip, $14 for the Pecards, $30 for the shipping, about $7.8 for the Pecards customs and about $99.8 for the whip customs. So overall I had to pay about $561.6 to get my whip. IndyGear ain't cheap.

Here are some pics of it straight from the box. Click to enlarge.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

This one is after two days of cracking, in the field:

And then some cracking pics. These ones don't enlarge. Note the brand new close enough $5 gloves from a local hardware store. :P

doc riviere
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by doc riviere »

Good " look like " indy whip....but far away the "real thing "

Enjoy the J.Strain's whip gun shot crack !

(the best "indy whip replica" around is from bernardo ! he found the small details and spirit that makes the whip so particular...)
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Doc,

I many ways, you are quite correct. Joe makes one #### of a whip, but there differences from a truly screen accurate whip. Bernardo pays close attention to detail -- thickness of thong, size of the turkshead, slimness of handle -- one would think that these little things wouldn't matter all that much, but put all together, they make a world of difference! I have 2 whips from Bernardo, and one from Joe. All are really great whips, but the Bernardo whips are just so much closer to what you see in the films. I'm waiting to see Bernardo finally make a whip in roohide, where his technique & plaiting should really stand out...

~Jace
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Tyrloch wrote:Doc,

I many ways, you are quite correct. Joe makes one #### of a whip, but there differences from a truly screen accurate whip. Bernardo pays close attention to detail -- thickness of thong, size of the turkshead, slimness of handle -- one would think that these little things wouldn't matter all that much, but put all together, they make a world of difference! I have 2 whips from Bernardo, and one from Joe. All are really great whips, but the Bernardo whips are just so much closer to what you see in the films. I'm waiting to see Bernardo finally make a whip in roohide, where his technique & plaiting should really stand out...

~Jace
I'm sure that with the whips there is as much variance as with the fedora, can you illustrate with some pictures please? We are almost in RPF nitpicking, atomic splitting, territory here and as we know those guys need to get out more often. :).

But don't take away from the fact that VP has a BEAUTiful whip now and has paid through the nose for it due to all the Import Duty and taxation (daylight robbery). Congratulations VP that's a fabulous looking whip!
K on the run
Vendor

Post by K on the run »

Uhh that's a nice whip VP, it has that cool curled up snake look. Congratulations.
It looks really tight and even braided. Is it as shiny as it looks in the pics?

Best regards,
K
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Pretty much yeah. The first ones were taken in direct sunlight and I adjusted the exposure a bit lower than the automatic settings were. IIRC the field one was taken with the automatic settings (P mode).
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Awesome whip VP! :whip: :whip: :whip: :D
You pay 100 bucks for customs? :shock: :shock: :shock:
You right....Indy gear is NOT cheap. :lol:
Best Regards
Darth
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I have to agree with what Doc and Jace said, Joe Strain makes one of the best Indy style bullwhips around and you'd be hard press to find a better built or handling bullwhip in that style, but Bernardo purposely put in a great deal of effort and had some help in order to pin down the more exacting details of the old Morgan's and the screen used bullwhips that makes his whips look so screen accurate to the Indy films.

VP, congratulations, you have gotten yourself a great bullwhip, Thanks for posting the pictures now enjoy that whip and crack it in good health.

Dan
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Congrats man! Whip looks great!

This is your first one, right?

Now, go on and post a few vids, will ya? ;)

High regards,
Swindiana
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

First whip yeah. Figured that since I'm gonna pay a lot of money anyways I might just get one of the best. And one of the Finnish whip experts I know (Whiper Jones) has about 8-10 Strains and swears they are the best whips out there.
Swindiana wrote:Now, go on and post a few vids, will ya? ;)
Nah, gotta learn more cracks and polish my technique first. Right now I can handle circus/forward and overhead well, underhand pretty well and sidearm and reverse circus not so well. Meaning that I get those two pretty randomly, maybe once every fourth try. Have tried forward throw a couple of times but never managed to do it.

Also don't have any other video camera except some digital cameras that can shoot 1 minute videos.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

VP,

Congrats' on the new whip, It looks gorgeous!!! Thanks so much posting those great photo's of it. Joe is one of the best whipmakers making bullwhips today. I've always looked at his Indy style bullwhip as the evolved David Morgan.

Again Congrats' on the Beautiful whip, enjoy it!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

midwestwhips wrote:Thanks so much posting those great photo's of it.
No problemo. Most JS pics I've seen lately have been pretty small and lacked detail so I wanted to get some good shots of it for future reference.
JEEP
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JEEP »

What a beautiful whip! Congratulations on a great purchase.

This must be one of the best Indy whips I have ever seen.

/Jakob
s10lamarr
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by s10lamarr »

well it looks like your having lots of fun wish i had that kind of space in my backyard nice looking whip too.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

VP wrote: Also don't have any other video camera
Buy one :wink:

nice colour btw :)
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Have no need for it, still pics are much cooler than videos.

Made a nice close enough whip holder for the JS. The belt is an unaccurate Swedish army surplus one.

Automatic exposure:

A bit darker exposure:

Close-ups with the darker exposure: