Indy's luggage?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Kodiak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indy's luggage?

Post by Kodiak »

Mods- Sorry if this needs moving.

I'm sure you guys know the luggage Indy uses in the "they want you to go after it scene" in Raiders, which takes place at Indy's flat. But what suitcase/luggage is he using? Does he pack luggage to go on other trips, or just the MK-VII? What luggage would be period correct for him to use? What would be in his luggage?

Please help me...

Regards,
-Kodiak
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

In the scene to which you refer, he tossed his whip, jacket, and gun in a big, hard side suitcase...so my guess is before he left he tossed his MKVII, OTHER gun, couple of stone colored safari shirts, some taupe calvary twill pants, holster, gloves, Aldens, brown fedora, brown web belt, and lets hope he still had room for socks and underwear.

Two guns AND a pair of Aldens???!!! That must have been one heavy suitcase!!!

I figure he only packed work clothes because he had a pretty good idea of the parts of the world he was headed, and formal clothes were only needed for the airlines.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Indy's luggage?

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Kodiak wrote:I'm sure you guys know the luggage Indy uses in the "they want you to go after it scene" in Raiders, which takes place at Indy's flat.
A flat usually refers to an apartment, Indy lived in a single family home.

That was his luggage that he was packing. It is period correct. Luggage then was hard sided and you can often find these old suitcases in goodwill stores or yard sales for next to nothing.
Kodiak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Indy's luggage?

Post by Kodiak »

Bufflehead Jones wrote:
Kodiak wrote:I'm sure you guys know the luggage Indy uses in the "they want you to go after it scene" in Raiders, which takes place at Indy's flat.
A flat usually refers to an apartment, Indy lived in a single family home.

That was his luggage that he was packing. It is period correct. Luggage then was hard sided and you can often find these old suitcases in goodwill stores or yard sales for next to nothing.
Flat can also refer to a single-story apartment-like or apartment sized house, but that is beyond the point.

Thanks for the info. Time to scour eBay again.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Yeah I have an old suitcase like that, I prefer the ones with buckles because I think they look cooler although I'm not sure if they're exactly accurate or not... if you get one you should try and slap on some suitcase stickers from peru venice and such (each indy location you can) and see if you ever run into anyone who can name the guy whose travel pattern matches your luggage ;c) just a thought....
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

In ToD didn’t he carry (actually Shorty carried it) a soft sided Gladstone bag?
Regards,
Forrestal
Last edited by Forrestal on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

Something like that. Whatever it was, it was big enough to carry his tweed jacket and bow tie, but not his razor. :roll:
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

luggage and cold weather gear

Post by hanson »

This is a bit off topic,but it just reminded me a thread a few months back where we were wondering how Indy survived nepal with only his wested. I suggested that he wore an old belgian army all weather over coat until he got ready for the raven shootout, much like McCleod in Highlander. Well, I just put Raiders in and he packs his suitcase and it obviously is loaded onto the panam flying boat as non carry-on luggage because he is not holding it when he boards. What he does carry on is a tan colored overcoat. It looks new,but so does mine from 1986 as I always took it off before any rough-housing occured. Well almost always, mine does have some buttons missing and a torn loose sleeve adjustment strap. But I still wear it over my prewested in very cold weather. What do you guys think? regards hanson.
Kodiak
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kodiak »

I think what you are saying is probable. Also, where did his suit go? Must have gone in the suitcase. And who's to say it was really all that cold in Nepal? Yeah, I know, Nepal is in the mountains, it has snow, it has to be cold. But I have worn my own "pre-Wested" in knee-deep snow before and I wasn't all that chilly. Indy probably wasn't planning on hanging around outside for too long.
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

Indy might have used something like this in the packing scene from Raiders.
parsa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Luggage

Post by parsa »

Nice bag, is that an as-new old suitcase, or a modern reproduction?

Cost Plus World Market has some cases already fitted with stickers. As I recall somebody sells reproduction stickers in sets as well.
http://www.worldmarket.com/Vintage-Leat ... /index.pro

Dover books makes luggage label books, and this one has a CD so you can print them with your computer printer:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048699 ... e&n=283155

This one has stickers:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/048642 ... e&n=283155

Parsa
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I am not sure if it is vintage or not. It is in great condition but appears old. :-k
bleyd
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bleyd »

If I have time I may have to check the cost plus in town for these. I'll post here if I find any. :wink: