AB 'overheating' problems?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I had to take my liner out to tighten the ribbon. I never bothered to sew it back in. I just have it tucked behind the sweatband and it works and looks just fine.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Croft, I live in the D.C. area, KNOWN for it's humid summers! I have an AB with the plastic capped liner (which I removed) and my "vintage" AB which has the silk liner. I did a test before removing the plastic liner, and I can tell you the silk is definitely the cooler of the two. The silk breathes, whereas the plastic just traps the heat in.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Croft wrote:Then the question come up how do you prove it was an AB w/out the liner.

Croft
Well, it's plainly embossed on the sweatband, don't cha know? :-k :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

My AB does not have the plastic liner and I've never had problem with the heat so far. Here in New England, it doesn't get hot as much as it gets humid. Ask Rick 5150 about that.

I don't mind a little heat... it's feeling naked from the neck up I can live with out.
Indiana Jarmyr
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Jarmyr »

I've just come back from my trip, and I must say that the hat worked like a charm. As this was the first time I had ever worn the hat, I can't really say what it would have been like if I had kept the plastic capped liner, but I am not sad I removed it.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Renderking Fisk wrote:Here in New England, it doesn't get hot as much as it gets humid. Ask Rick 5150 about that.
Yep. We do have our days though where we get both. Those are the days I try to get above the treeline. Almost always a breeze there. :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jarmyr wrote:I've just come back from my trip, and I must say that the hat worked like a charm. As this was the first time I had ever worn the hat, I can't really say what it would have been like if I had kept the plastic capped liner, but I am not sad I removed it.
Glad to hear it worked for you. :D

I can tell you EXACTLY how it would have been with the plastic tapped liner left in...your hair would have been soaked, like you had been drenched with a bucket of water....and you would have been taking the hat off every 5 minutes or so to wipe the excess perspiration out of your sweatband.

Been there, done that! =;

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Michaelson wrote:

Been there, done that! =;

Regards! Michaelson
Have you dipped the bottom of your hat in a river? Or soaked your hair and put your hat on over it?
Oh, the things we do to keep our lids on!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Uh.....I'd rather not talk about it. 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Uh.....I'd rather not talk about it. 8-[

Regards! Michaelson
Maybe if we put our hats in the freezer prior to going out!

The English used to soak their Pith helemts in cold water. There could be something to that!