Leather Strander

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

horseback
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Leather Strander

Post by horseback »

Who makes the best strander ......and where can i get one ? :?:
horseback
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by horseback »

I have read every post that mentions stranders....but I cant find any mention of who makes them or where to purchase .
Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Darth V.A.D.E.R
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Darth V.A.D.E.R »

Hope it will help you.
Regards
Darth
horseback
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by horseback »

Thank you , Darth , I had no idea they were going to be that expensive.........WOW
bernie47
Vendor
Location: In the workshop making whips.Western Creek Tasmania Australia

Post by bernie47 »

Re the stranders on my site,unfortunately I can no longer supply these. Dan,the fisherman has retired permanantly. If you email me off list I can send you photos of the tool and perhaps you could get it made yourself. There is also a strand cutter supplied by Tandy, you can find it here
http://www.tandyleather.com/prodinfo.as ... 6&mitem=47 I used one of these for about 30 years to cut all my lace but you will have to be prepared to make some adjustments. The photo below is of the one I used after some adjustments :) If you would like those photos just email me off list and I'll send them to you.
JStrain
Vendor

Post by JStrain »

Perhaps you are looking for one of these?
http://www.northernwhipco.com/Australian%20Strander.htm

Regards,
Joe
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Hi Horseback,

While pretty much any strander can work well, the best strand cutter I've seen is the one made by Dean Williams, R.M. Williams son. I believe it is a bit hard to get, and I think it is about $100 dollars.

As it sounds like money is an issue, I suggest the R.M. williams Aussie strander that you will find if you follow the link that Joe posted. It is the strand cutter that I started out with. It is inexpensive, fairly easy to use, and will get you started. In fact I still use this tool from time to time, and find it quite usefull. I think this is probobly your best bet.

Good Luck and let us know how it works out.

And Joe, I love the new bullwhip that is pictured on the main page of your website, it looks excellent!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
horseback
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by horseback »

I have looked for the Williams strander , but can't find it . I guess I am going to buy the Tandy version......Thank you.....everyone
bernie47
Vendor

Post by bernie47 »

Don't I remember Robert Duke selling them at one stage, time for you to come inon this Robert.
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

bernie47 wrote:Don't I remember Robert Duke selling them at one stage, time for you to come inon this Robert.
Its been a long time since I checked in on COW.
Hello Bernie,
I had telephoned Dene Williams for his strand cutter which Russell Schultz had given me his info. Simon Martin told me that you had one but didn't like it If you want to sell it, I will buy it. I really like it.

Just made a couple of nioe bullwhips for a new TV show that is still in development stages. Anyway, sent the whips to Hollywood on Wednesday. I will email the photo to anyone interested.

Cheers,
Robert Duke
whipmaker@DukeWhips.com
[/list]
bernie47
Vendor

Post by bernie47 »

Thanks for the offer Robert but I'll hang on to it. I've never quite gotten used to it and I don't use it but I like to see it hanging on the wall of the work shop. Once I've got a tool I don't like to let it go. Isn't Dean still making them?
Robert Duke
Vendor

Post by Robert Duke »

bernie47 wrote:Thanks for the offer Robert but I'll hang on to it. I've never quite gotten used to it and I don't use it but I like to see it hanging on the wall of the work shop. Once I've got a tool I don't like to let it go. Isn't Dean still making them?
Hello Bernie,
Simon told me you liked seeing it hang there too but thot I'd like to make the offer. I wish that I had a couple of them. To me its far superior to the Aussie strander. I love the way the bale lever comes up allowing you to get out of a leather strand when needed. Thumbwheel works better. I live using the pointed scalpel blades to "dive" into the roo hide to start a lace. Finally I like the long handle that rests in my hand comfortably as I pull to cut the roo.
I haven't talked to Dene (not Dean) in a few years. I would only assume he's still making them.

Cheers,
Robert Duke