Question 4 Dr Steve Delk,input welcome

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Question 4 Dr Steve Delk,input welcome

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

Gday all
I have finally found some spare $ on my paypal and before ebay tempts me ive sent it all to Steve as payment for my AB
Im in 2 minds as to whether i should get a long oval (what i wear in PB and Optimo) but after comparing my Federation,PB,HJ and Optimo i notice that the Akubra has the best overall Raiders look,a slight turn in the brim and tilt in all directions.
Is this a result of contorting the round block of the Akubra?
If it is due to contortion what will transfer to the finer felt of an AB?
1st helpfull ten answers recieve my eternal thanks
Sam
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If you've got the time, read the thread "To Turn or Not to Turn". It discusses some of the issues of the distinctive Raider's brim warp, which Steve get by blocking the hat a little "off center". But there were some things in that discussion that specifically apply to Long Ovals.
Chewie
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Check the "another AB-Dlx. arrived"-thread from Erri-Wan. He's wearing a reg. oval hat on a long oval head and it's about the best result I've ever seen. I did the error to make a long oval hat for my long oval head, but it just ain't the same in terms of screen accuracy. The hat WILL adapt to your head shape over time, so don't worry about it being too tight front and back.

Just my two cts.,

Marc
Oklahoma Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Oklahoma Jones »

I have to agree with Marc, since the first AB I bought from Steve was made long oval, and just didn't quite 'do it' for me. All subsequent ABs were just made regular oval, and I let my head do the rest....... :wink:
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Ah @#$%! :evil:
I never took this into consideration and I just ordered one! What do AB's come as standard, long oval or regular oval? Sorry if this has been covered.
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

Yeah man
I think ( if i remeber what you look like correctly ) that a round oval should do it
Sam
Russ
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Russ »

My AB should arrive in a week from Fedora, and I ordered the long oval after much consideration. All my Federations are regular ovals, and I want this one to special, custom shaped to my long oval head. My head is really long, and slows me down if I turn it to the right or left when riding a bicycle. (Okay, I'm exaggerating).

A rounder crown stretched on a long oval head will of course give more swoop and nice distortion (as my Federations do) but it only stretches where it touches your head (at the bottom of the crown) which means it will look tapered when viewed from the side unless your head is shaped like a stove pipe all the way up. Of course, seeing how the ABs this page seemed to start out with reverse taper, it appears that it will not be a problem after all. Still, I believe I will be happy with wearing a long oval hat on my long oval head.

Oh, I must add that I am not trying for the look of any particular movie hat in any particular scene; I just want it to look good on me.
Last edited by Russ on Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

What do AB's come as standard, long oval or regular oval?
Reg. oval.

Regards,

Marc
slowdevil
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

to long oval or not to long oval

Post by slowdevil »

I was just thinking about this a couple days ago as I'm about to order another AB. ( I read this forum all the time and wonder "why do these guys need multiple Indy hats?!" and here I am ordering another one)
Anyway, I wear a long oval and it fits very comfortably. I've worn a regular oval and it pinched the #### out of my forehead, however, that was a very stiff hat. The AB is so soft and pliable, it seems like maybe a regular oval might conform to a long oval head with minimal distortion of its shape.
Am I far off?

Justin
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

conceited_ape wrote:I never took this into consideration and I just ordered one!
Relax, it'll be at least a month before Steve starts working on it.