Ordering Akubra on Sunday, Please Help...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Ordering Akubra on Sunday, Please Help...

Post by Tennessee R »

Hello, well, I've been a member for quite some time and have participated in a few discussions about hats and bags, but now,

I'm ready to get a hat. I'm in a little bit of a rush because I want it before I go to Israel in about three weeks, and I have a few questions.

#1 What is the difference between the Federation and the Federation Deluxe? And which should I get?

#2 Do they shrink any, do they come spot-on size, or are they sized a little one way or the other?

#3 Just to make sure: I will ask for 'Mid Brown'?

#4 Is there anything special I should ask for? (Band, etc. anything at all?)

#5 Would you suggest ordering online or over phone

I've really only got one chance at this, and want to make sure I get it right.

Thank y'all so much for your help!
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ordering Akubra on Sunday, Please Help...

Post by Dalexs »

Tennessee R wrote:Hello, well, I've been a member for quite some time and have participated in a few discussions about hats and bags, but now,

I'm ready to get a hat. I'm in a little bit of a rush because I want it before I go to Israel in about three weeks, and I have a few questions.

#1 What is the difference between the Federation and the Federation Deluxe? And which should I get?
Deluxe is made from their Heritage line of felt. Regular made from their Imperial line.
Deluxe is a bit softer and slightly better quality.
It has a richer brown color to it.
How much do you want to spend?
#2 Do they shrink any, do they come spot-on size, or are they sized a little one way or the other?
Any hat will shrink if allowed and handled improperly.
They use to run a wee big. If you have an exact measurement,
not in between size (in CMs) just order that. If you are in between, order up.
#3 Just to make sure: I will ask for 'Mid Brown'?
Just order the brown. The regular comes in "Mid Brown. Deluxe is called Loden.
#4 Is there anything special I should ask for? (Band, etc. anything at all?)
No. They are not customizable. They are basically factory made.
All you do is shape it yourself. There's plenty of instructions around here for doing that.
#5 Would you suggest ordering online or over phone
Online is fine. I've done it a number of times with no problem.
I've really only got one chance at this, and want to make sure I get it right.

Thank y'all so much for your help!
Even though everyone here is going to tell you "Save up and get an Adventure Built..."
You can't go wrong with the Akubra.
If you need it now, get it now. You order on Sunday, you'll most likely have it next Monday.

Good luck.

Dalexs
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: Ordering Akubra on Sunday, Please Help...

Post by Tennessee R »

Thank you for your response.
Dalexs wrote:Deluxe is made from their Heritage line of felt. Regular made from their Imperial line.
Deluxe is a bit softer and slightly better quality.
It has a richer brown color to it.
How much do you want to spend?
I think I want to go with the standard. As long as you think that it has sufficiant Indiana Jones Style to it.
Dalexs wrote:Just order the brown. The regular comes in "Mid Brown. Deluxe is called Loden.
I'm thinking more and more that I'm going with the standard Federation. So, I guess it wil indeed be 'Mid Brown' on the internet.
Dalexs wrote:All you do is shape it yourself. There's plenty of instructions around here for doing that.
Yes, you are very correct! ;) like Elvis says in 'Trouble':
If you're looking to shape it, You've come to the right place. ;)
Dalexs wrote:Online is fine. I've done it a number of times with no problem.
I think online it will be, then.

I'll still check back, just to see what every one else says, but you've been a great help.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Here's a pic of my Fed. Deluxe that I've had for a couple of months now. I love it. I'd love to own an AB someday but this hat is really good too.

Hope seeing my hat helps you decide on which you want to go with.

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Tenn,

You say you only get "one shot at this" so I'm guessing you don't plan to collect several Indy hats. In that case, I'd say go for the Deluxe. It will be everything that the regular is and more. The color and the ribbon are more accurate, and from the many pictures I've seen of both versions, the Deluxe takes the Indy bash a little better.
Don't get me wrong; The regular Federation in Mid Brown is a good hat. I have one. It breaks in nicely in terms of shape, color, and stiffness. However, the color when new, at least on mine, was kind of ugly, and I did not care for the Indy shape on it so I changed it.

As for fit, measure your head and check the size chart to be sure. I find Akubras start off very round, and feel big at first. However, they do conform to the head after a few wearings. My advice is, if your head measurement is very close to the smaller size, go with the smaller. If you're right in the middle or more, order up.

As for ordering, On-line should be fine. You'll have it in time.

Good luck,
Chewie
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I've bought both a regular and a deluxe, and I like them both. Each time I've ordered my size (59) was in stock, so they shipped the same day and with express mail delivery (the only way to go, IMHO) they both arrived less than a week after ordering them.

Regular:

Deluxe:

They're both great hats, so no matter which one you choose I think you'll be happy. I just got the deluxe about a week ago, and I think it is a superior hat. The color is better, and the felt softened up very easily when I was working with the brim. This hat practically bashed itself, it was so easy to work with, and quickly fell into a good Raiders look.

Here's my new deluxe on me. :)

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:You say you only get "one shot at this" so I'm guessing you don't plan to collect several Indy hats.
I think he means that he only has a short amount of time for decision before travelling to Israel.
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Thanks everyone, I'm going with the Federation, standard, (In Israel, it CAN get dusty ;) )
Yep, VP, "one shot' means one shot for this trip, so, Chewbacca, I may get a Deluxe at a slightly later time (maybe for more formal occasions)
Thank you for your help.
Wrightknife
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Wrightknife »

You will love your hat Tenn! I have one and it has been just fine. I will probably go with an AB within the year but I will always keep my Akubra.

Good luck with the hat and your trip! 8)
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

You can't go wrong with a Federation. It was my first real hat and it lasted me well. I ended up getting a Keppler afterwards and that too has done me terrific service.

I think in all honesty one of the most significant things about a hat is the shape - this is down to both the block and bash. One person could have an Optimo (arguably the best quality around here) and another could have a wool felt thing bought for $5. But if the Optimo is badly blocked and has a poor bash put in it and the wool felt one has been expertly blocked and furnished with a perfect, accurate bash which one do you think is going to scream Indy more?

So that said I would say put a lot of thought and time into shaping your Federation when it arrives as this will very much determine how good the hat will look on you.

Ken
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

tone, that a great photo and the hats not bad either.
marco polo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by marco polo »

Great photo Tone! They may start using that as advertisement! :D
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Thanks everyone. I actually ended up ordering it yesterday, because I wanted to be sure I got the measurement right. (Couldn't find my cloth tape-measure)

I actually had already called Australia before I opened this thread, and ended up ordering online, sending a few messages via e-mail.

Now, if it is not too much trouble, (And I know that there are threads here all over the place about bashes),

but is there one thread that shows clearly the difference between the Raiders, Temple, and Last Crusade?
kalkamel
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kalkamel »

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Indiana_Tone wrote:With a wide, shallow diamond top dent I can get much straighter sides - even reverse taper off this thing
Yeah I noticed the same while playing with my Fed a couple of weeks ago. I can get a nice, deep center dent with it, but the side taper is horrible after that. So I have to compromise between a deep center dent, stovepipe crown and back taper.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Dont forget that TOD hat. Its drasticly diffrent from the rest.

Last edited by Mola Ram on Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Well, I ordered it on the 5th, recieved it today, the 13th.
While it was coming, I played around with my greandaddy's old stetson, popped the bash out of it, and practiced.

Now, I've got a Raider's style bash on my new hat, and am pretty pleased with it. Maybe if I get the chance, I'll post some photos of it.

It seems a little dark, what kind of weathering technique could I use?
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

Not wanting to hijack the thread but, Tone, I'd like to know more about the photo you posted and how you achieved that look. Photoshop??
Indyjim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indyjim »

The overall tone of the picture. It has a soft and misty quality to it, yet still sharp showing detail. Also looks a little vignetted on the edges. What filter did you use?
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

Okay, so, after all of this time, I am finally posting a photo of my Akubra Federation. It has been on, I think, three overseas trips to Israel, and Italy.
Here it is back home, recently.

I've tried to give it a Raiders look, as much as possible, and have re-bashed it several times. I'm still finding it a bit difficult to get it exactly the way I want it.

So, sorry to excavate this out of the heap of rubble, but here you go:

scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

That is one heckuva wait for pics. :lol: So is this a Fed II or Fed III?

Looks good, kinda like my Fed IV, I chose not turn my as well.
lc1484
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by lc1484 »

I just ordered a Fed IV standard in Tawny Fawn Sunday...5-10 days..
Tennessee R
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee R »

scot2525 wrote:That is one heckuva wait for pics. :lol: So is this a Fed II or Fed III?

Looks good, kinda like my Fed IV, I chose not turn my as well.
Yeah, I know.... :lol: Well, at least they're here now. I believe a Fed III.

It just really took a while for me to grow into it, and now, it is manageable.
I have given it some wear, so it looks a little more authentic now.