Year round Wool LL BEAN trousers?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Year round Wool LL BEAN trousers?

Post by Doug C »

These pants look really close - does anyone here have any? They have 'em in Taupe and are only $59. I'd like some pictures of someone wearing them if possible, pleated or not. Thanks.

Doug C
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

sorry, I forgot to add a link..

Doug C

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... &feat=dp26
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

They are excellent pants. I have a pair, but the back pockets are all wrong, sadly. The color is right though.

For me, the Indy pant has to have the flap pockets like their dress chinos. If only they'd bring back taupe.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

These are described as having "button through back pockets", so I assume that means no flaps, correct.. still, that's not a deal breaker for me. Besides, didn't someone say that if you ordered them un-hemmed, you could use the excess to make pockets? Of course that's another expense, right :?

Doug C
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

I was JUST looking at those pants yesterday. I was wondering about the back pockets, because in one of the catalogs, the model is wearing them at an angle, and it looks like they have pocket flaps, yet the description did say botton-through.

Thanks for clearing that mystery up, Hemingway.

My next comment is: has anyone noticed that the Sepia color is no longer available in the dress chino? And I was just about to order a pair! What is it with LLBean??? Every time they have something us gearheads find pretty cool, they discontinue it (i.e. taupe chinos, tan field shirt, sepia chinos).

Hey, someone get a job with LLBean and take control of this situation, will ya??
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

The good new is that each fall they roll out new colors. Perhaps this will eb the year to feature the return of taupe.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Doug C wrote:These are described as having "button through back pockets", so I assume that means no flaps, correct.. still, that's not a deal breaker for me. Besides, didn't someone say that if you ordered them un-hemmed, you could use the excess to make pockets? Of course that's another expense, right :?
Doug C
I don't know how long the come unhemed, which you can get them that way, but just to make sure you get enough extra cloth, order them with a cuff and several inches too long for you. :D

Taupe wool...very tempting...
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Well, if you hurry (and you're a size 34) you can still get the sepia chinos...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... =ssdpb6719

And if you like wool trousers in the taupe color, and don't mind flat front pants these are on sale for $30...

Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Winston, I like those plain front wool ones that you posted but what's strange is that they only have sizes 38-44 in all four of the colors..wonder why that is. I mean you'd think the demand wouldn't be the same for all colors. Unfortunately I'm a 33.

Doug C
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, I was about to mention the sizes on the wool. Oh well.

I could be wrong, but the Dillards pants are almost if not exactly like the these and were also called Sepia. I was wondering if they were actually the same pants or if they were copying LL Bean. Anyone own both? At $22 in my size I'm tempted to get some.

Edit: I guess I'll own both, I just orderd the LL Beans as I remembered my Dillards are 32 and a bit tight and would generally look nicer if they fit right. :D I will probably have some Dillards 32s for sale soon. ;)
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Indydoc wrote:
I could be wrong, but the Dillards pants are almost if not exactly like the these and were also called Sepia.
Hey Doc, your not talking about the wool pants that Winston sited here right, but instead the chinos ? If not, then I missed a wool Dillards thread.

Doug C
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, I was talking about the chinos, sorry.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I ordered a pair of those flat front wool pants a couple of days ago, mostly because I figured for $30 they'll be a great pair of pants no matter what, but I'd also like to see what taupe looks like in real life.

That way, if I decide to dye my sepia dress chinos I'll have a better idea of where I'm going, color-wise. :)

This is also my first flirtation with wool pants, so I'll be testing my tolerance for wearing wool before dropping $100 on a more accurate replica like the Magnoli or Wested.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Or $280 for some Noel Howard paints! :shock:

Just remember like other colors, there's not just one color taupe. At least online, those wool LL beans look pretty good though. You basicly would have to see or buy some of Noel's pants to get "the color".
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Wow, that's what the NH pants run? Yeah, I'll be passing on $300 pants. I think $100 is pushing it, after all, they're only pants... :p
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

IndyDoc wrote:Or $280 for some Noel Howard paints! :shock:

Just remember like other colors, there's not just one color taupe. At least online, those wool LL beans look pretty good though. You basicly would have to see or buy some of Noel's pants to get "the color".
I don't know where people are getting this $280 price for Noel Howard pants. They are expensive, but I think we are getting different country's currency confused.

I have recently been in contact with Noel, and his prices for his ROTLA pants in U. S. dollars are:

$185 off the rack sizes
$335 custom hand made to your specifications

Neither of these prices matches the $280 that keeps getting bounced around. If you can wear off the rack sizes with no problem, then you can get Noel Howard pants substantially cheaper than $280.

I am going to get my waist size in the off the rack sizes, which come unhemmed and then hem them myself. It is still an expensive pair of pants, but that will cost me $185.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I think it was VP that came up with that price and was converted from the probably not so current pricing chart on the main site.
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

Thanks for pointing out the clearance on the sepia dress chinos, WinstonWolf359, but unfortunately for me, the 33 inch waist I bought in dark khaki last Christmas was a bit loose on me. 34s would probably swallow me up.

The Dillard's Oak Creek chinos color was called saddle. I'm wearing them right now and have three more pair hanging in the closet. They don't have the quality the the LLBean dress chinos have, but they're great for wearing to work. I never know if I'm going to get dirty or not. Unfortunatley, Dillard's dicontinued the Oak Creek line, so now I'm back to square one on finding affordable Indyesque pants. If anyone has a lead on some, let me know.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

OK, well I just ordered from LL Bean :

Sepia Colored Dress Chinos, Taupe Colored year-round wool trousers (plain front), and a short sleeve Cotton Poplin field shirt with buzz-off in Dark Driftwood color (they were out of regular tan).

I'm most excited about the year-round wool trousers in taupe, cause I've never really liked pleats and I imagine the marino wool will be nice..we'll see.

Doug C
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Jim wrote:The Dillard's Oak Creek chinos color was called saddle.
Oops, yeah. Wrong discrptive color by me above. :oops:

So besides the quality difference are they basicly the same pattern?

(BTW, what size waist do you normally ware? I'm wondering if they'll be too big for me also.)
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

yeah, the style is the same: pleats, back flap pockets (and that darn permanent crease!), but the dillard's chinos fade a bit after several washings. It doesn't really bother me, because I like the "weathered look".

I normally wear a 33 inch waist, but for some reason the LLBean chinos are just a bit large. I may have been able to get away with a 32.
independent
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by independent »

Bufflehead Jones wrote: I am going to get my waist size in the off the rack sizes
I read the noel howard pants run small in the waist. Please tell us how they fit, relative to the average OTR pair of pants.
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

BREAKING NEWS!

I ordered these a couple days ago:

and they just arrived today. :)

The taupe is a great color, and the cut and style on these is exactly like the dress chinos, including the back flap pockets, even though they're described as button through. These are the regular fit, NOT the natural fit, so they're a bit slimmer.

If you can live with the flat front and they come in your size, I don't think you'll find a better pair of wool Indy pants for $30.

I'll try to get some pics later today. :D
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Darn! I wish they had my size, I'd get 2 of thos instead of the year-round ones I ordered.

Doug C
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

To come in way late, I've owned a pair of the original year round wool LLB front pleated trousers for years. I wore them to the first two QM summits, and they are indeed extremely comfortable trousers in all temperatures.

Regards! Michaelson
Jim
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jim »

Those must have been the wool pants I saw in the catalog. I knew I saw back flap pockets somewhere. I agree, its too bad they don't have my size.
zeus36
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by zeus36 »

Just tried to order a pair of 36x32 but they are out of any taupe smaller than a 40 inch waist.

Dang!
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Ever get any pictures of the taupe wool pants Winston?
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

I wish. :oops:

My wife is out of town and took the digital camera with her. I'll get some as soon as possible, though. I think these are great Indy pants, but especially for $30.
Doug C
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Doug C »

Hey I received the "Year round wool" pants in Taupe and they are great. It's usually warm here in Texas, to say the least... but these pants are sooo thin that I'll end up wearing them all the time. Very nice quality. Oh btw, Hemingway Jones wrote:
They are excellent pants. I have a pair, but the back pockets are all wrong, sadly.
Not true, atleast on the pair I received - the pockets definately have the flaps. Now, I did order the plain fronts 'cause that's what I normally wear but I doubt that makes a difference regarding the pockets. Perhaps LLB changes there patterns around often as well as colors. The taupe is just right too. I'm gonna order the pleated version as soon as I can.

Doug C