The Mysterious Self-Removing MkVII Strap

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

McFly
Scoundrel

The Mysterious Self-Removing MkVII Strap

Post by McFly »

Hey guys - just wondering if any of you have had this happen-

I was walking accross a patch of grass at school to meet up with my girlfriend, when all of a sudden I felt my MkVII become very slack, and to my horror and utter confusion, watched as it fell nearly 3 feet to the ground!! Upon closer examination, I found that the part holding the back side of the strap to the ring had gone missing, and after spending nearly 20 minutes searching for it in the grass, I was disappointed in having not found the beloved hardware.

My girlfriend told me that this should show me that my gear is not made really to last, and that I should learn this now. (You see, last week my backpack, the kind that one of us COWers posted here from Old Navy as looking very Indy, also broke a strap.) This has nothing to do with what I was carrying in the MkVII - all it had was a sweatshirt!

Has this happened to any of you?
(For those wondering, the strap was a Todd's Deluxe strap - I didn't think the thing would ever fall apart!)

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

The chicago screw came off? Easy, go to the hardware store and pick up another. They are only like .50 cents.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

I don't think it was a Chicago screw, was it? I still have my original strap that came with my WPG bag - that ugly orange one - and the screw on that is pretty serious looking.

In Christ,
Shane
Indiana
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana »

Is it this one:

or this one:

J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Thats kinda strange Shane. :?

When it comes to the Old Navy stuff, I have to agree with your girlfriend. Their stuff isn't particuarly well made.

::Schumy's man alarm goes off:: Thinking to himself, "Dude, what are you doing agreeing with your buddy's girl? Don't you know that breaks rule #1!" :wink: :lol:
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

If it in fact was a Chicago screw, ask your girlfriend to borrow you some nail polish. Add it before screwing it together and it will stay in place but will still crack open with a bit of force if necessary. Yes, a Chicago screw has come undone for me to. ;)

Either that, or get a rivet and shut it forever. (The strap.)

Regards,
Swindiana
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

Swindiana wrote:If it in fact was a Chicago screw, ask your girlfriend to borrow you some nail polish. Add it before screwing it together and it will stay in place but will still crack open with a bit of force if necessary. Yes, a Chicago screw has come undone for me to. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Mine kept coming undone and nail polish was the solution. That or you can use some "Lock-Tite" found at your local hardware store.

Mike
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Swindy - I'm really not sure if it was still - I couldn't find it to see what it was, but that sounds like a good idea. I suppose I could get one anyway, big enough, or rather small enough to fit into the hole and just do it that way. I guess as long as it holds it, there's no problem with what it used to be.

Thanks, guys!

Oh, and J Weaver - yeah, the backpack got all messed up - it ripped up the back too, and one of the buckles on the straps got all mangled. :? Their pants have been good for me though!

In Christ,
Shane
Baggers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Baggers »

Actually, I never liked WPG's version of the chicago screw -- too small a head and rough looking to boot. I've always thought I'd replace it with a bigger, more rounded one if I happened to be driving past a leather craft store like Tandy Leather. But I never did as I bought a better looking one from one of the members here that used to make after market straps.

Just get a new one from someplace and put a dab of Loktite or nail polish on the threads before screwing it together. That should solve your problem.

Cheers!
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 5:49 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Swindiana wrote:
If it in fact was a Chicago screw, ask your girlfriend to borrow you some nail polish. Add it before screwing it together and it will stay in place but will still crack open with a bit of force if necessary. Yes, a Chicago screw has come undone for me to.

Regards,
Swindiana

Mine kept coming undone and nail polish was the solution. That or you can use some "Lock-Tite" found at your local hardware store.

Maybe it's just me, but using Lock Tite seems more manly than nail polish .
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Indeed, though less MacGyverish. ;)

Totally different forum I believe.

I guess the single guys would use "Lock-Tite". :D

Regards,
Swindiana
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Okay, something no one has mentioned. Just make sure it's CLEAR nail polish. K
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

It works with red too, or blue, as the part where you put it will be hidden anyway.

Regards,
Swindiana
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Shane, do even better by getting a TAPCO strap. No Chicago screws to worry about AND it comes pre-naturally distressed! It's got the clasp on one end and a SERIOUS button on the other which takes some serious effort to put on, and even more to take off. I actually like this strap better than my Keppler strap with roller buckle, though don't think I'm getting rid of it, folks. :wink:
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Swindiana wrote:It works with red too, or blue, as the part where you put it will be hidden anyway.

Regards,
Swindiana
I wasn't speaking for functionality. Don't use pink or purple. Even if it can't be seen you'll always know. K
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

I guess Khaki would work. ;)

Regards,
Swindiana
Kittlemeier
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kittlemeier »

Who wears blue nail polish anyway? I know I sure don't. That was lock-tite, I swear. 8-[ K
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Well I really love my Todd's strap... I think I'll just go out and get a Chicago screw and use some clear nail polish to keep it on. :wink:

Thanks guys!

In Christ,
Shane
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

A race car driver would only use Lock-tite not nail polish. Unless of course, it was Danica Patrick. 8)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

However... a high school senior with a part-time job that only pays minimum wage and has to help pay off his prom expenses to his mother, and is committed to taking his beautiful girlfriend on one or two dates during the summer, would rather use nail-polish instead of going out and buying said race car driver adhesive.

:wink:

It's cheaper this way!

In Christ,
Shane
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Oh, come on, Shane. What's really more important? :lol: :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Cheaper than Loc-Tite? :-s Not by much it isn't. Living in a houseful of women, I know...I've purchased both in my time, and there's not a whole lot of difference between the two, price wise, and I'd trust Loc-Tite LONG before I'd go with the fingernail polish fix. Loc-Tite is reversable without having any gummy residue left from the remover, in case you want to take the screw back off.

Even so, either one does the job...just don't let the price fool you.

Regards! Michaelson
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

As a rock climber, I can tell you that gear must be constantly maintained of any sort. Webbing that frays, carabiners with hair-line cracks, camalots with bent posts or kinked wires, all go in the trash and some of this is $75+ a pop! :wink:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Oh, come on, Shane. What's really more important? :lol: :wink:
...well I am saving up for a new Wested and some Magnoli boots... :D (Oh, yeah, Bink! Forgot to ask you... can I borrow your Wested? Send it priority 1 day shipping and I'll have it back at least by the day after the QM! :lol: jk... no, really, I am!)

Michaelson - hmmm... about the same, eh? We'll have to see then... maybe while I'm picking up some Chicago Screws I'll get some Lock Tite.

In Christ,
Shane
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

McFly, that is very manly of you. I am proud of you. Besides, what would your girlfriend think if she caught you in her finger nail polish? :shock:
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hemingway Jones wrote:As a rock climber, I can tell you that gear must be constantly maintained of any sort. Webbing that frays, carabiners with hair-line cracks, camalots with bent posts or kinked wires, all go in the trash and some of this is $75+ a pop! :wink:
Yup, been there, done that. It can be an expensive habbit, eh Hemingway? :wink:

My problem is that no more than I get to climb, most of my gear ends up needing to be replaced due to age, not use. :(

:)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

J_Weaver wrote:most of my gear ends up needing to be replaced due to age, not use. :(

:)
:-k ...Ummm...That's what a lot of people say about me. #-o
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Weaver,
Wait until you're my age and they call your gear "retro!" For me, that's a compliment!
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Weaver,
Wait until you're my age and they call your gear "retro!" For me, that's a compliment!
By the time I'm your age some of my gear will be vintage. I'm still using a set of hexes that my dad bought in the 70's! :shock: (don't worry, the slings on them aren't original. :wink:) Heck, I've done a bit a climbing in a pair of vintage 50's hobnail mountaineering boots. They sure make you appreciate climbing shoes. :lol:

HAHA, good one Buff!